Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 4x or jump bike – advice and recomendations
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Thinking of wasting some money on a little bike for playing up the local pump track / jump site. I am sh1te at jumping after gaining fear when I cracked my skull previously but am beginning to get faster on the pump track. Unfortunatly a fully rigid Ti 96er isn;t the ideal bike.

What would you suggest/recommend etc. Cheaper is better so probably trawled off eBay.

mboy
    Free Member

DMR Trailstar
    Specialized P1 or P3
    Giant STP
    Flow Moe
    NS Bikes Surge or Bitch

To name but a few.

Would probably go cromo out of choice, though if a Giant STP or Specialized P3 came up for a good enough price I wouldn’t worry about them being ally as they are certainly good tough frames.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

What are the main differences, what should I look out for in kit or faults etc, how do I get my jeans to hang halfway down my ass without them falling off?

Hairychested
    Free Member

What’s that Andorran jobbie that Halfors sell? Merlin have them too 😉

mboy
    Free Member

What are the main differences

Google the above suggestions I’ve pointed out and decide for yourself. Some are cromo, some ally. Most jump bikes have approximately a 14″ seat tube, 22-22.5″ effective Top Tube, are designed around 100mm forks and have nice short back ends. Though of course there are variations on the theme.

what should I look out for in kit or faults etc

Strength! Don’t try to get away with lightweight parts, its just not really worth it on a jump bike.

how do I get my jeans to hang halfway down my ass without them falling off?

I think you’re asking the wrong people. You’d be better off asking some 14 year olds down the local skate park. I think the total lack of any arse whatsoever is pretty vital though, as is the lack of any fashion sense!

RustySpanner

Merlin have a 2008 24inch wheel Commencal Max Max reduced to £199.

Was there yesterday and nearly succumbed – great looking little bike.

Link:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1434&categoryId=129

They also have a 26inch wheel version for not much more.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Second the DMR. Something just right about the geo and the feel of the frame. 24 seven do some great jump bikes too but they seem more jump/less trail orientated. Kona’s alu jump bikes are pretty good too if your on a budget and looking for aluminium, but obviously the downside is they are alu.

juiced
    Free Member

may i suggest one of these

<obuiwO9Nut0W >

search ebay for gt moto and you may see a few from time to time.

Great little bikes . stonking geomtrey imho ( brain lopes had a lot of input into this ) Now and again std unused black ones turn up for good prices. The fork can be upgraded to 130mm as they come with dirts jams. The geo is spot on tho. Brakes cable as std. Again should be ok. Keep an eye on ebay. I luv mine atlhough it’s an 04. I am bit dazed now 😉 😆

juiced
    Free Member
    juiced
    Free Member

btw the lime green ones are best avoided as they have a very steep head angle
    anything else is all go

juiced
    Free Member

an 04 ( ie mine ) quite rare though

http://www.bike2build.nl/morepics/eurobike2003/gt_moto.jpg

the balck ones are 05 and have good solid components on them although a 100mm dirt jam fork ( ok but not great)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘4x or jump bike – advice and recomendations’ is closed to new replies.