Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 4X Chicksands Vs Porc – anyone been to both and able to offer some views
  • JPcapel
    Free Member

Not sure this is quite the right forum to ask, but as much as I enjoy Xc rides, I am a big fan of 4x as a days workout and improving bike skills.
    I am wanting a day off to mellow soon (probably next week) would usually head to chicksands to thrash the dual and 4x track and play on the drops (albeit I hear the 2 ladder drops have been removed as has most of the woodwork – can anyone confirm whats left).

Porc is miles closer to home for me, less than 1hrs drive, versus typically 2hrs+ for chicksands.
    Is Porc just a 4x track. Does it compare with Chicksands?
    Whats it like in the wet (chicksands has more grip in the wet in my opinion – so is very wet friendly venue).

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Normally take my hardtail to chicksands, do have a turner 5spot set up as jump type bike, assume Porc still favours hardtail too?

5lab

porc has a few dh tracks and a full on jump spot, whereas chicky has a better 4x track (imo), a better dual course and more xc. If you’ve not been to porc before, get down there and sus it out yourself

mikey74
    Free Member

I would say that PORC is a better all-round venue in decent weather, as it has a good 4X course and some pretty good short-track dh courses. However, if the weather in pants, then the DH courses at PORC can become quite interesting.

In general, I would say PORC has more to do, but Chicksands is better in the wet and probably has a slightly better 4X track.

If you have never been to PORC before then get yourself down there: It is definitely worth a visit.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Cheers guys, sounds like weather may decide which venue I go to!

Interesting to hear Chicksands considered slightly better 4x track (thanks mikey) suspect will enjoy either for a days playing.
    Thanks

kayak23

Not a massive fan of PORC but its alright. The 4x track is nice and fast.
    I’d go to Chicksands area, as you have Woburn too which is great, although it doesn’t have a 4x track but loads of mini dh jumpy tracks.
    You also have Aston Hill not a million miles away…

5lab

i’d say its easier to clear everything on the PORC track – some of the larger jumps on Chicky are nigh impossible for me (and I’m normally ok at jumping). The track does kinda fade out at the end though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘4X Chicksands Vs Porc – anyone been to both and able to offer some views’ is closed to new replies.