Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 4oD player not supported on TV
  • dave360

So I has got myself one of them smart TV’s. And a ipad and a Apple TV.
    I connected it to BBC iplayer and to Netflix and it worked a treat.
    Last night I installed the Channel 4 on demand app to watch Black Mirror, but computer says “4oD player not supported on your tellybox” I paraphrase.

I can watch the 4od player on the ipad, but THEY won’t let me watch their programmes on my telly connected to my ipad. WHY?

xiphon
    Free Member

Welcome to Apple.

grum
    Free Member

How is it Apple’s fault when it works with other players? 😕 Airplay works flawlessly when it’s enabled by the app maker IME.

Channel 4 say that Airplay requires different licensing which they haven’t yet obtained for all their programmes. God knows why you can’t just do it with the programmes they make themselves though.

xiphon
    Free Member

Ah, so it’s not on the AppleTV?

grievoustim
    Free Member

Channel 4 need to up their game with their various players.

The 4od “app” on the ps3 is hopeless compared to the iPlayer and lovefilm

grum
    Free Member

Yup. The amount of adverts on the ipad app is ridiculous too.

xiphon – the 4od app on the ipad blocks streaming to AppleTV via Airplay. There isn’t a 4od app on the AppleTV, but streaming from an ipad with Airplay works great for most things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

xiphon – Member
    Welcome to Apple.

I’d be lynched for saying that 🙂

Jailbreak the thing and look at XBMC, if not run a proper PC to the TV. It works fine.

grum
    Free Member

You can use VGA or S Video adapters (not HDMI) and plug straight into the telly from the ipad too if you want. But it seems a bit backward when there’s a much more elegant solution that you only can’t use because of licensing issues.

Shouldn’t there be a 4od app for the Samsung smart TV – or is that Apple’s fault too?

xiphon
    Free Member

Anyone know if the limitation is either sending or receiving the stream?

If it’s receiving, there are alternatives than can play AirPlay

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So I has got myself one of them smart TV’s. And a ipad and a Apple TV.

You can use VGA or S Video adapters (not HDMI) and plug straight into the telly from the ipad too if you want. But it seems a bit backward when there’s a much more elegant solution that you only can’t use because of licensing issues.

Shouldn’t there be a 4od app for the Samsung smart TV – or is that Apple’s fault too?

I would suggest the mighty apple TV should sort that out but if it doesn’t Grum will pick on me as a hater 🙂 The Ipad actually works but the apply TV (small pc running a bit of software – magic smoke out) doesn’t. I did all mine through a nice little silent PC running windows and not XBMC and it works a treat 🙂

grum
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with Apple, as I’ve already explained. 🙄 And yes you are a hater, and quite an obsessional one at that. AppleTV works very well at what it does, but it doesn’t do everything – like most Apple stuff.

Apparently there’s an app coming for Samsung smart TVs BTW.

http://www.uswitch.com/tv/news/2012/11/4od_watch_live_offline_access_coming_to_ios_android/

Wonder if the new iOS app will support Airplay.

dave360

Same message with Lovefilm Grievous. But Netflix works fine.

sending or receiving the stream?
    Jailbreak the thing and look at XBMC

Sound like great ideas chaps. If I had a clue what you were on about…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sending or receiving the stream?
    Jailbreak the thing and look at XBMC

It’s like buying a normal computer and running a programme on it

then follow the following instructions http://forum.firecore.com/topic/5554

Bit tricky to do, but the iplayer works fine, although the menu is a bit clunky

From another forum

kimbers

4OD is pretty crap tbh, weve all been spoilt by iplayer

grum
    Free Member

You can’t jailbreak the AppleTV 3 (yet). If its a recent one its probably ATV3.

mikewsmith – why keep posting offering advice about stuff you don’t really know about?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorry Grum, as there was no mention of the version then the advice stands.
    Get over it.

grum
    Free Member

How about you get over your obsession with Apple? You’ve posted nowt useful in this thread (or any other thread involving Apple stuff that you inevitably post in).

xiphon
    Free Member

Sorry, I was asking about which Apple product is not playing nice.

Is it the iPad not wanting to send the 4oD video or the AppleTV not wanting to display it?

Ignore the jailbreaking comments…

EDIT: Ah, just seen the bit about the iPad not wanting to send. Er… not sure on a solutions tbh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How about you get over your obsession with Apple? You’ve posted nowt useful in this thread

OK the hardware is possibly useful with less restrictive software – fairly useful.
    The software is limited currently due to licencing rules – solve the problem.

Other solutions available, think outside the box.

dave360

I can understand that the reason is “licensing”
    What I’m struggling with is the “why”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘4oD player not supported on TV’ is closed to new replies.