Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 4,939 miles, 4 days to go and my back goes "Ping!"
  • MoreCashThanDash

This was going to be the year I finally cracked 5000 miles on the bikes. Decided that after we’d been sledging with the kids this morning I was going to put the spiky ice tyres on so I could have a pootle tomorrow and then commute into work to get those last 61 miles in despite the weather.

But just as we got home from sledging, I felt that telltale stabbing tightness through my lower back as it went into spasm. Not a full blown “OMG I can’t move” spasm, more of a precautionary “If I move too quick or OMG actually sneeze then I won’t be able to move” spasm

Managed a cautious attempt at my usual physio exercises, tried the ice pack, but nothing is relaxing it out.

Bugger! 😥

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Get on the anti-inflammatories.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Ice is never going to relax a back spasm. Stick a hot water bottle on it now and ride your bike tomorrow.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Celebrate what you have actually achieved, that’s pretty cool 😀

BigJohn

My doc told me to take anti-inflammatories AND painkillers. I would just have ignored the painkillers but he was adamant that they were important as it is the pain that makes your back muscles spasm.

Some prescription high dose diclofenac and co-codamol followed. Worked a treat on me. Your injury may not be the same so this should not be regarded as advice.

midlifecrashes

Hot bath, or better still jacuzzi if you can get in one.

midlifecrashes

Where are you at MoreCash? Do we need to get an uplift going at Cragg Vale and send you down the hill a dozen times?

MoreCashThanDash

Used to use heat but osteopath recommended ice packs to reduce the inflammation. I was already due to see him again on 5th Jan when he returns from his long Christmas holiday 👿

Though this is the closest to a back pain free calender year I’ve managed in 7 years. I can hardly begrudge him the holiday I have probably paid for. I’m a bit pissed off by his new Ferrari though

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Your osteopath is an idiot. He may be a rich idiot, but they are still an idiot. Which part of a spasm involves inflammation?

Murray

Had this on the first day of a Haute Route ski tour (backwards from Zermatt to Chamonix). An hour of alternating hot and cold showers had me able to walk to the bar. One week of rather painful ski touring had it on the mend. I did go to town on the ibuprofen though.

Good luck.

Vortexracing

I’m up for that very same figure of 5000miles for the year, I need another 45 and I have cracked it, which should be a road ride around the Fylde tomorrow with a bit of luck.

sorry to hear you have got so close, but you still have till Wed to get those 61 in

MoreCashThanDash

Shame I’m working Mon-Wed and the world of Derbyshire is starting to look like the set of Frozen tonight…….

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Heat and Ibuprofen

I tryed ice once,made the muscle shrink and spasm even worse

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Take it easy, there are other years to meet idealistic targets, you only have one back. Best of luck with it.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Use a foam roller..
    or if you don’t have one a mini basketball.. plenty of videos on YouTube on foam rolling.
    personally I prefer the mini basketball as its harder and gets my tight spots better.

It’s basically myofascial release

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No, dont do that because that would be stupid.

MoreCashThanDash

Ibuprofen has kicked in. 😀

dreednya

pain killers and an easy road ride. I’ve 77 miles to go, but as I live just below Nant-yr-arian I should make it 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

200 miles to my 5000, days left & had planned a couple of decent road rides – then this damn cold hit & I’m weak as a kitten, coughing my lungs inside out & almost narcoleptic. Oh well, always next year..

BigJohn

Are we nearly there?

seadog101

Why not fudge your figures and go for 5000 miles in one year, instead of 5000 in 2014. So subtract the first couple of weeks, and see if you can hit 5000 by jan 15th?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘4,939 miles, 4 days to go and my back goes "Ping!"’ is closed to new replies.