Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 456/steel-frame questions from a neurotic MTB-er!
  • poppa
    Free Member

Hi all, thinking of purchasing a 456 frame but have a few questions before I do.

1. Any idea whether this frame will represent a significant upgrade from my existing frame? Will I be able to tell the difference? Will it just be a placebo? I am currently using the frame from an old commuter(!) but I think it’s the same design as used for this bike:

http://www.pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/digitalAssets/14391_08_peak4_side_web700x504.JPG

If so it is alloy (prob 6061), hydroformed but not butted, and designed for 100mm forks. Most of my components I can straight-swap apart from the headset and seat clamp. U-turn fork up to 130mm.

2. Will I notice any weight increase with the steel frame? I imagine not, seeing as my combined rider/bike weight is approx 200lbs, so even 2lbs of weight increase would only be a 1% difference. Any ideas what my basic alu-frame might weigh? How long is a piece of string? I think the 456 is about 2.3kg.

3. Anyone got one of the new coffee/chocolate/poo coloured frames? I quite like the look of them on the website but would like to see a production one too, and any feedback. Couldn't see any in the current thread, should I ask in a new one?

4. Any point in a Summer Season geometry, or am I better of sticking with the classic 456? I guess the Summer Season might be too big of a departure from my previous experience, and unnecessary for the riding I do.

5. Any other comments/feedback on these frames? I do ‘just riding along’ I guess. I do some quite competitive/fast recreational group XC rides, all day rides, and I like to ride any technical terrain I can find. I don’t see the point in needless weight-weenieness but nor do I see the point in needlessly burly gear.

Thank you for listening, your time and help.

HTTP404
    Free Member

1. The 456s are very long in the top tube. Which will be instantly noticeable if you keep your same cockpit layout (stem/seatpost). However, they are designed to run with short stems to keep the handling sharp.
    2. 456s weigh in at a little over 5lbs (medium?), a cheap db-butted alloy frame probably closer to 4lbs. You might notice the difference throwing the bike around…but probably not.
    4. Not ridden slack geo. myself – I prefer sharper handling. You should try first tho.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

1. Not ridden yours but I've never ridden a alu hardtail I liked. The 456 is lovely though. Stiff yet comfy.

2. Depends how light yours is. The 456 is pretty heavy but then it's very tough. Unless you race, it's not a huge deal and you'll get used to it.

3. I run the older red 456. The choc ones look interesting though.

4. I don't think so. I run my Pikes at 120mm usually. At the full 140mm the steering is a tad slow for general riding IMO. The SS is even slacker so can't really see the point of it myself.

5. It's a bullet proof, comfy, cheap frame. It's no race rig but for most people on most terrain, it's just the job.

alexpalacefan

Get it bought, by far the best frame I've ridden in over 10 years, and a bargain to boot.
    As to colour, the pink is pretty cool too, more a sort of 'Acid Purple', that would be the colour I would go for

A

vdubber67
    Free Member

I've had one for a year. Great frame for all sorts of riding. Run mine with 130mm U turn forks. Sometimes wind down for really steep climbs, but it actually climbs well at 130mm.

I have an older red one btw.

Only issue I have is that it seems to chainsuck really badly, although I'm never sure with that whether you can actually relate it to the frame or not. I think the newer ones were slightly redesigned to cope with it?

If you fancy buying a cheap one, you could always buy my frame, as it'll be for sale pretty soon. (20 inch)

😉

nickc

1. Just 'cuase 2 frames at a casual glance look the same, it doesn't mean that they'll ride similarly. The One One's design has been pretty much perfected over the years by some-one who understands mountain biking, and will be a significant upgrade over the one you're riding now. Both in terms of geometry and frame stiffness and tube butting etc etc. So yes, in short you'll notice.

2. No, I doubt you'll notice the difference in weight dramatically. At the end of long 'ole ride, you'll probably find you're in a couple of gears lower, but day to day, you won't notice.

3. Nope, not seen the colour in real life, but if it's not to your liking then a frame's easy enough to spray, and reasonably cheap to do. If there is one criticism that can be fairly aimed at On One it is that the paint isn't that thick, or long lasting. This bothers some people more than others.

4. Summer Season geometry is fairly niche, unless you're riding very steep and very techy, then I'd stick with the regular designs.

5. Any comments? On Ones are pretty solid frames that do what they say on the tin. Won't ever set the world alight, but it'll never let you down either.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I'm going the opposite direction at the moment. Selling my 456 and just bought a BMC elite alu frame to run light with 100mm forks. Lots of climbing on most of the riding i do and as nice as it would be to have a big bouncy bike on the way down, i want something a bit more capable on the way up.

I was worried about the drop in travel on the downhills, as the only two mountainbikes i've ridden since the early nineties are a sub zero and the 456. However after dragging my old rigid alpinestars out on a retroride the other week i actually enjoyed it more than the 456, even on the downhills, as it didn't feel so much like i was just stood there letting the fork do the work. Harder work, but more 'interesting'.

That said, they are excellent frames and i'll probably regret selling it after the new one shakes me to bits! and at 125 quid you can't go wrong.

poppa
    Free Member

Cheers guys, moving closer to the 'buy' button. That pink really does look pink to me though, not purple! Are there any more images of that colour frame around?

firestarter
    Free Member

i bought a new dark blue one a bit back and its great im just wondering if i can sell it and buy the pink one lol

saladdodger
    Free Member

alexpalacefan – Member
    Get it bought, by far the best frame I've ridden in over 10 years, and a bargain to boot

I have been riding for about 20 years and I agree with the above statement

I bought mine to replace a giant trance fed up with thee full sus and it was worth every penny the most enjoyable bike I have ever ridden it just does every thing it should and at a minimum cost, well it is unbelivable realy

deserter
    Free Member

I can't find pics of the pink or the strong blue can anyone post em

cheers

clubber
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    1. Not ridden yours but I've never ridden a alu hardtail I liked. The 456 is lovely though. Stiff yet comfy.

I've always wondered about this. I've ridden a lot of frame of all materials and the one thing for sure is that you can't sterotype materials and the way they ride.

My 456 was nice enough but just a bit too slow handling for my liking ( the standard inbred is my fave hardtail at the mo, so far as handling goes ) but that aside, one thing it definitely wasn't was comfy at least not compared to properly stereotypically springy steel frames. The Pace 303 I directly swapped the bits to was definitely more comfy feeling though not by a huge margin, despite looking like a stereotypical dead stiff harsh alu frame. That said, the longer seatpost undoubtedly helped which makes the case again that material is only one aspect of it all.

Back to the OP. a bike designed for a 100mm fork will almost certainly ride very differently to a 456 but it's entirely dependent on your preferences whether that's better.

nickc

I'm with Clubber on the comfort thing, the very least-est nice bike I've ever ridden was the fabled Explosif, it was at best distinctly average, completely dead feeling (to me at least) like the frame was filled with lead. The most comfy is my Chameleon, which has a rep for being a back killer, but is in fact, lush

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have one of the red ones as my only ride at the moment, as a singlespeed with a big fork.

Its an entirely competent and nicely cheap frame. My only criticism is I'd like open hose guides so its easier to swap brakes and gears about.

It is reasonably heavy as others have said but if you're running it geared, I think you're likely to notice positive things like steering stiffness more than the weight, the flipside of the weight is that its is pretty strong. Probably stronger than I need.

With a 140mm fork its fairly slack, which I view as a good thing on my too-small-for-me frame, since I can get handsomely over the front where I need it anyway, but sized properly, it might be a bit slower.

I've spent most of this year SS'ing and TBH, I'm starting to yearn for something a bit lighter and compliant to heave around a bit easier now that the mud and wet have arrived and made traction on an SS more of a premium.

That's the other thing about the 456. If you're expecting classic steel frame zip and zing, you won't find it here, although you might find a bit on the standard inbred (which will also take your fork).

If you're a JRA kind of guy like you suggest, I'd go for the normal one personally. It'll be lighter and a bit more sprightly and comfortable ( smaller TT diameter see).

clubber
    Free Member

Open hose guides – just cut them open as I did. Worked a treat.

I would say the standard inbred is comfy either fwiw. Not harsh but not comfy and that includes my 853 one which feels no different from the standard one.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is there a typo in there clubber?

I had a 2003 model inbred that was certainly comfier than the 456. These things are completely subjective though.

Its a good point on the hose guides. Not something I've been arsed to do yet! Plenty of people wouldn't feel confident to do that though.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, it should have said that the standard is maybe just ateeny bit comfier but the difference is less than changing tyres, pressure or saddle would I reckon.

carlphillips
    Free Member

clubber when you open them up how do you then secure them in?.

on my 456 (which is superb btw)i just took the hose out and was careful and the brake didn't even need a rebleed.

clubber
    Free Member

You only open them up enough so that you can just squeeze the cables in. Also cut them at s slight angle.

You're right tho. Typically you don't need to rebleed but it just
    makes it all easier.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have had my dark blue 456 just coming up for a year. My favourite all round bike fitted out with XTR/XT drivetrain and Hope Hoops and some big Hayes HFX brakes with Hope BB and headset and Thomson seatpost with a pair of 2009 Revelation Dual Air U turns with Maxle Lite. I am happy to ride all day anywhere on it and I can certainly say that I can feel the frame taking the sting out of rocky rooty rides. Just make sure that if you run a smaller size frame that you get a good seatpost ie Thomson or similar as I bent two in the early days one being a £20 jobbie that lasted less than one ride (I run a 410mm post).
    Hey try it if you dont like it I can assure you that you will be able to sell it second hand.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘456/steel-frame questions from a neurotic MTB-er!’ is closed to new replies.