Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • 456s 1×9, 1st frame build-up. advice pls.
  • 456mocha
    Free Member

Hi all.
    So much excellent advice on this forum! Thanks

I have built up a steely 18″ 456 from a 2nd hand frame for XC riding using new stuff, bits off my old bike and items from my spares drawer. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

First of all, the chain is not central on the bottom Dérailleur sprocket when on the 32T rear cassette (all Deore).
    Is this normal / OK or will I need to make an adjustment to centralise it? It’s not overly clear on the photo but it does seem to rub down the the inside side of the chain. (I know it needs a good clean! 🙂 )

Secondly, until I can get the funds I am using a 2005 Manitou Super Splice 70-100mm (set at 100) which has had little previous use. It has an adjustable rebound but the plastic dial seems to do nothing and it takes all my weight (15st) to compress them (it’s not much different to riding with straight forks). I assume this is not normal!
    Do you think it’s worth taking them apart and servicing(?) them or should I give them up as a bad job?

thanks in advance.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

If you mean the jockey wheel is parallel to the cassette cogs but not vertically in line then the adjustment screw on the rear mech needs a tweak. If however, the jockey wheel is not parallel but kinda oblique on the chain then you have a bent mech hanger (or bent mech – less likely).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘456s 1×9, 1st frame build-up. advice pls.’ is closed to new replies.