Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • 45650B looks good
  • wwaswas

£899 with Deore and Sektor solo airs

good price too.

brant’s dead body just out of shot, one assumes.

kimbers

but where are the 650b chunky monkeys and smorgasboards?

andyl
    Free Member

is it just me or is the back end looking a lot skinnier on the new frame?

Definitely missing the traditional on one seat-stays and looking more cotic soul.

Does this thing have the slacker and lower ‘evo’ geometry or more classic 456 angles?

Wwaswas, do you think that’s his Will in tucked into the saddle? 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

andyl – Member

is it just me or is the back end looking a lot skinnier on the new frame?

Definitely missing the traditional on one seat-stays and looking more cotic soul.

2 fewer welds innit.

looks like an ace bike.

orena45

Are those F1 style camera mounts on either side of the saddle, for forward and rear facing Go Pro’s? 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

Looks like the wheels are slightly too big… Shame. 😉 Looks good, otherwise. Personally, i prefer the old seatstay arrangement; kind of like an On-One brand identity (although i realise it was a bit of a Dekerf homage / ripoff).

Looks a bit ‘meh’ to me – not an on-one basher; I like the carbon 456 and the evo2, this just looks very, well, ordinary

andyl
    Free Member

I wonder if they have shaved much weight off the old 456 frame? Would be nice to have a bit less steel. I’d be tempted to replace my C456 with one as i need new wheels anyway but I am guessing the seat post is 30.9 too (have a 31.6 reverb which is pristine)

brant
    Free Member

30.9mm, Neil’s hand, 650Smorgy’s are in the pipeline, seatstays were a Commencal homage done wrong, but this one had these as we had to make a new bending mold for the 14in frame and sort of liked them.
    Evo geometry of course.

cookeaa

I know it’s not been out very long but has anyone bunged 26″ wheels on a 45650b frame yet?

Just curious…

kayak23

For as long as they have a wishbone seatstay, I’ll not be having one….which is probably forever then. Can’t make it my cup of tea no matter how hard I try.
    Rest is nice though and great value.

ska-49
    Free Member

I love this! Fantastic entry level spec. with lovely geometry.

Well done Brant!

spawnofyorkshire

Brant, do you have any pics of the super raw finish?

campfreddie
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure what people expect from a few bits of steel pipe welded together and offered for sale at a remarkably low price for the spec. It’s not going to look like an Evil Uprising frame is it? I guess the proof will be in the riding.

Still seems way more inviting than most of the mainstream £900 junk on the market (canyon excepted of course)

rOcKeTdOg

i like the new seat stays, it looks lighter too *

*probably isn’t but it’s the thought that counts

be bob on with a 26″ rear and a rigid fork that

I’m not entirely sure what people expect from a few bits of steel pipe welded together and offered for sale at a remarkably low price for the spec

I’m not entirely sure what you think people are expecting. No-one, me included, is really slating it – however, spec aside (that’s not what I’m looking at), the above doesn’t do it for me, anything like what this does for example…

wwaswas

I don’t think the angle helps the first picture.

I love gloss black steel frames, it’s so slimming 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Looks like my Orange Clockwork from circa ’93 but with a fatter headtube. Still I’m sure it’ll sell well to the suckers that think cheap, heavy, flexy steel is still a good frame material.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks like my Orange Clockwork from circa ’93 but with a fatter headtube. Still I’m sure it’ll sell well to the suckers that think cheap, heavy, flexy steel is still a good frame material.

Ever ridden one?

456’s aren’t (or at least weren’t) flexy in the slightest.

Duffer
    Free Member

Still I’m sure it’ll sell well to the suckers that think cheap, heavy, flexy steel is still a good frame material.

That’s rich coming from a man who thinks that a “Made in Halifax” sticker is worth an extra £400.

😉

matther01
    Free Member

Steel over alu HT everytime. My old Crush was bloody awful and soon got rid.

brant
    Free Member

It is a terrible first picture. Yes.
    The raw ones are awesome. A yellow/orange decal set.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Come on Brant pic of the raw please ive been holding on wondering which to buy for ages.

prawny

45650b complete bike? Yes please, sign me up. I’d have had the 26″ evo 2 if it had a tapered or 44mm head tube

superstu
    Free Member

When is this available? Couldn’t see it on the website but that might be down to my inept interweb skills

faustus

Quite fancy trying a 45650b with 26″ wheels too..anyone tried with success?

superstu
    Free Member

Quite fancy trying a 45650b with 26″ wheels too..anyone tried with success

I don’t get this? Why bother? BB will be lower. Why not use the wheels a frame is designed for?!

faustus

Well, marginally lower – let’s not pretend there’s such a huge difference in outer diameter of the wheels. I currently have decent 26″ wheels, so do not want to buy 650b. Also, this frame is dropper post compatible (more so than 27.2 anyway) and headtube size (to give fork choice) not available on 26″ wheeled version of 456. To get something similar in 26″ would mean spending a fair bit more on a frame.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was thinking that too, half an inch lower BB and the stays are within 3mm in 18″.

Wheels I’m not so bothered about, rims are cheep and I can build them myself. Tyres are consumable, if I didn’t need new ones alreasy, I would in 6 months, so new ones aer no big deal. But forks are relatively expensive and last a fair while. Suppose you could put a 650b rear wheel in there, and run the forks at 150mm, then it’d be the same as 650b at 130-140mm. Like Faust, I’d be more interested in the big headtube than anything else.

45650bC, with 30.9 seatube and a 44mm headtube would have me reaching for the credit card though!

superstu
    Free Member

Fair enough I take back what I said, I can see the sense in what you are saying faustus (and thisisnotaspoon). It doesn’t apply to you but I do generally think that unless you have a specific reason then stick to what it’s designed for – unlike those frankenbikes where people chuck a 29 front wheel in a 26 rig and suchlike just because they can. But with your point about the dropper and forks I can understand why you’d want to experiment with that.

Back to my first post on here though, when is the built bike out? I have seen frame only on on-one but not the build alluded to with Sektors at £899.

matt_outandabout

Looks really nice.
    Skinny stays, will they ‘give’ any?

brant
    Free Member

Being launched next week. I think it’s Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the interest!

kendo954
    Free Member

Launched as in on the website for sale brant?

Just debating between building one or getting the complete bike

cookeaa

I don’t get this? Why bother? BB will be lower. Why not use the wheels a frame is designed for?!

The difference is so minor and TBH I kind of like the idea of a “business” and a “party” wheelset in either size…

brant
    Free Member

Launched, as in for sale and ready to build and ship.

wwaswas

Proper pic:

looks like a real bicycle, I like it.

prawny

Yes, very nice that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

High BB. Ride OK still?

brant
    Free Member

High BB. Ride OK still?

It has a 28mm BB drop at rest with a 140mm fork.
    That’s 11mm lower than a 456, which is good because that’s the wheel radius difference.

With a 140mm fork, the BB will drop 1/3rd of the sag, so another 15mm say.

This will give a ride height BB of 352-28-15=309mm, or 12.1in

I think that’s a good BB height for a trail mountainbike.

AlexSimon

Does look great that.
    Full Deore and sectors is a great build too for the money.

Not many budget bikes get Shimano.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the Raw.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘45650B looks good’ is closed to new replies.