Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 456 with 100mm forks
  • fenred
    Free Member

Might be in the market for a new frame and running 100mm up front on my current inbred.

Fancy trying some more travel at some point but cashflow is a bit tight so it’ll be frame first.

I understand the 456 acronym but does anyone actually run a 456 at 100mm? Opinions please?

lucien

Had a steel one that I originally put 130mm forks on and then changed for 100mm forks and now I have a carbon one with 130mm forks.

Can’t explain why, but the 130’s work much better and if it helps I’ve since purchased an Inbred and put 100’s on there and I think it fly’s.

Point being I think the 456 runs much better with a longer fork, just based on me riding the thing

jambon
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. Run wotans on my c456, that’s 120-160mm travel. Feels low at 120, great for climbs but feels much happier at 160mm for steep rocky downs.

I like over-forked bikes though.

The BB might be too low for rocky areas at 100mm too.

Depends on where you ride I suppose.

alexpalacefan

Hello, I’ve a 100-120-140 TALAS on my 456. I almost always run it at 120, opening it up to 140 for the bigger downs, it makes me feel better and ride faster!

On really steep climbs I wind it down to 100, really helps keep the nose down.

However I was at Sherwood Pines yesterday, where I usually ride a Scandal with an 80mm travel corrected rigid fork. There the 456 felt sluggish by comparison, so I shortened the travel to 100 and it was loads better.

So, in conclusion for tight twisty singletrack a 456 is fantastic with a 100 fork.

Hope that helps

APF

gonetothehills
    Free Member

100mm = 4″ = the 4 from 456 (as you know!) 🙂 It’s designed to take them, so you’re not doing anything you shouldn’t…

It’s fine as you’re planning – in fact, I did exactly as you, and took the 100mm Rebas off my Inbred and put them onto the 456. For general XC it’s absolutely spot on, and as it’s meant to be. I have to admit that when I finally got round to putting 120mm ones on it was better, and I enjoyed the slackening of the head angle, but 100m won’t be any problem at all for it. Enjoy!

clubber
    Free Member

I found it a touch quick at 100 but it’s certainly rideable. I’d say that 115 to 130 is ideal though.

sv

456 Summer Season was designed for 100mm IIRC.

Chris-S
    Free Member

I run a c456 SS with 100mm rigid forks – No problem with clearance and handles nicely.

yunki
    Free Member

I rode a 456 with 100mm – 130mm u-turns.. for general off-road XC riding I kept it at 100mm because it was the most versatile setting.. great for climbing and still perfectly capable of handling rougher descents.. really good on smooth singletrack and for munching miles.. the front can feel quite low though especially on longer all day rides..

I now ride with a faster slightly more descent based bias and some drops and jumps over much more steep and technical terrain so prefer a longer travel fork which I can switch between 120mm and 150mm..

fenred
    Free Member

Thanks guys, good advice and pretty much what I expected.

I’m guessing with a frame as versatile as the 456 a u-turn is prob the way to go.

Appreciate the input 🙂

ratadog

I rode a 456 with 100mm – 130mm u-turns.. for general off-road XC riding I kept it at 100mm

+1

Doug
    Free Member

Got 100’s and slicks for potholed commuter duties. Perfick

mcboo
    Free Member

Another one with TALAS on a Ti456. Am on 120 most of the time, just suits me to have a bit more help but rides well at 100mm. The real fun is going somewhere a bit lairy and opening the forks to 140mm, is when the frame really shows its true colours. I do love this bike.

Wally

mcboo – what brakes are you running on your Ti456?

porter_jamie

i did exactly that. started with 100mm rebas from the old bike. it worked really well. then got 120-150 revs later and it was completely different, a lot better.

mcboo
    Free Member

Wally – Hayes Stroker Trail with 180mm disc at the front.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I was helping a friend put a 456 together (his first ‘proper’ bike) and he went to get his forks extended from 80 to 130mm on my advice. At some point he decided that 130mm travel is like riding a pogo stick and plumped for 100mm.

Turns out it’s quite good, I just can’t help but feel he has 30mm of dormant travel lurking in that fork…

OP, is it a Summer or “normal” 456?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

What forks are you running?
    If you’ve got Reba’s, as a few seem to, why not just change the travel in them?

br
    Free Member

I ran 120mm Reba’s on mine, and then swapped them to a 456Ti.

Then moved to 140mm Thor’s, feels better for most things – and climbs well too.

fenred
    Free Member

OP, is it a Summer or “normal” 456?

standard 456, steel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘456 with 100mm forks’ is closed to new replies.