• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 456 why not give me a good reason
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

As above, I am going off my full susser because I like my s/s too much. It is a cotic simple btw

So I want a hard tail and I cannot find a good reason to buy a Soul at £350 more than the 456

any opinons before I badger the wife

woody2000

Alfine the simple?

LMT
    Free Member

Someone is bound to rip my head off, but the Soul is a much better bike, feel, paintwork etc just miles better!

The 456 is ok for a temp, but wouldn't want it as a solution for my HT, a mate has one and while he thinks its great he admits he prefers the P7 and the Cotic, so much so he is going to buy a new frame in the next few weeks and keep the 456 as his backup if something was to go wrong.

Don't get me wrong the frames are ok, ive got one in the shed but its a back up and for £125 a great price for a second frame!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soobalias
    Free Member

you could just ride the simple.

zaskar
    Free Member

Everyone I know who has had one loved it.

Cheap as chips and a good ride from having a go on a pals.

I wish they did an 856 steel one again as I wanted one and Genesis sell one but out of stock for a while.

I mean look how cheap it is compared to the competition or cheap alu.

Enjoy!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have just done the same. swapped my trek top fuel full sus frame for a summer season 456 after i got a normal inbred as ss. not had a chance to ride offroad properly yet as i am broken but it feels like it will be much more fun than the trek was. never quite managed to get on with the rear sus.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I like the simple (and I want to keep the s/s)and I use it more than my full sus.

I had a inbred before the simple and yes the simple rides a bit better than the inbred but not a light and day thing if you know what I mean.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

What don't you like about your trance?

Random
    Free Member

Here's a theoretical question…

If you spent the £225 saved by buying a 456 compared to a Soul on better components, which would be the better bike? And could the price difference allow the weight difference to be made up through lighter components?

saladdodger
    Free Member

S-M

its ok not a bad bike but I just prefer the hard tail it just makes me grin alot more

saladdodger
    Free Member

randon the 456 is £125

the Soul is £470

the differance pays for a real trick set of wheels etc

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I'll swap your shock for a block of wood with two holes in and make it feel like a hardtail.

Just to throw a spanner, how about one of them there Ragley frames? Price is halfway between the cotic and the 456.

ShoePolice
    Free Member

if you don't spend it your wife will.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I love my 456. Not had a Soul tbh so can't compare, but I prefer my 456 to my Handjob if that helps 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Even with light wheels (second hand crossmax) and Dual air pikes, mine still weighs over 30lbs – the rest of the build is a bit rugged (e13 drs EA50 XT/deore kit). Could bling it with carbon bits and light everything, but that would kind of take away from the point of it being cheap.

The cost is already up to about a grand, if i spend more i might as well get something new and lighter.

Don't know if this is a good review or not, because even though it weighs a bit, its crackin' to ride. Ti one would be good.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Mine's been great, but I want to go back to a full sus for the comfort
    Fox 130mm, bonty race wheels, xt & hope built up to 28lbs, so not too bad for weight & rides really well,

DaveGr
    Free Member

456 why not give me a good reason

It's an On One ….. that's why 😉

Simple and Soul combo – you can swap the seat post/saddle between the two (£100ish saved). If the brakes are the same then you can swop the front wheel as well so only need the rear one.

knottie8
    Free Member

Just buy it Andy !

Mikes new toy.

saladdodger
    Free Member

i will be swapping all the bits off my full sus so the only expence will be new shifter cables and a headset

imagine a 456 with Mav sc32 forks (bet it looks orrable)

renton
    Free Member

ive just built mine up and i think they look great!!

my 4th inbred frame now.

CountZero

While the Cotic might be a better bike in some respects, finish, ride, etc, it's difficult to see how the difference would justify the price difference. If you're going to ride the 456 the way it deserves, then it won't be long before it gets scars, and, speaking from personal experience I wouldn't feel half as bad dropping a £175 frame onto rocks as I would a frame costing £450 or more. If it's a Summer Season, then even better, 'cos the clear coat is dead easy to touch up with a can of clear polyurethane. And if it does get scratched and starts going rusty, then it just adds character. As random sez, get the 456 and put some blingy bits on, like a tasty wheelset. I had a Hummer, sold it and put all the bits on a laquered bare metal steel frame that cost me £250. Yes, it's heavier, but it's just so much fun with 160mm Nixons on and if I slam it into the ground I don't care if it gets scratched or dinged. It's already going rusty… 😉

knottie8
    Free Member

So have you ordered it yet ?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

When i buy a bike or anything for that matter, i look at value not price. I have never ridden either of these bikes but i looked at buying both in the last 2 weeks, what was the result i hear you cry! I bought a 2nd hand genesis alptitude with cane creek s8 headset for £240 = value.

Havent built it up fully yet but rolling chasis feels right, reasonable long tt and slack HA a good compromise for all mountain. Build quality is industrial but at that price who cares, worst bit is the cheap paint , which is a bit of a niggle on a steel frame but hey ho.

Del

Andy,
    my blue one, dink in the down tube near the bb, yours for 70 quid. fitted with orbit xl2 cups. and no – i'm not taking pictures of it, but you're welcome to come and look at it if you want.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

456 does it for me. Prefer it to my full sus (04 enduro.!) any day. I'v never ridden a cotic so wouldn't know but they do look mighty fine.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've had loads of on ones in the past and the last one a Summer Season 456 was the most hooligan of the lot. loads of fun. There weren't many places I wouldn't take it and it went DHing at Innerleithen, all over the Peaks, Wales etc etc.

It did suffer terrible chain suck though, which is why it went to another home.

Its refreshing having a bike you don't much care about because its so cheap. You ride it a lot differently to one that cost hundreds and has a nice paint coat on you don't want to scratch. to me that was always the beauty of the Inbreds.

Dress it up in nice kit and they make great bikes.

Del

oh – and one good reason. getting a 456 might make you wear a cap like Mike's….

saladdodger
    Free Member

I need a cap like mikes to cover me bonce cos the sun does hurt my scalp 😥

And I would look cool and skinny to , er maybe

Ta for the offer del but I want a new one

Del

fair nuff. only half-heartedly interested in selling as it then removes temptation to buy pikes and a wheel to suit. it's been in a box for two years unused!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘456 why not give me a good reason’ is closed to new replies.