Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 456, warranty & chainsuck
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a steel 456 any vies on warranty and the dreaded chainsuck?

Budget means the Pace 305 I orginally palnned for is a bit too expensive but will I regret the On-one?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

no idea about the warranty of mine. I bought it with the thinking that because it was cheap, if i broke it i could just get another one.

geoffj

Frames don't cause chainsuck.

trail_rat
    Free Member

idiots setting up gears and worn chain rings cause chainsuck !

paulosoxo
    Free Member

used to be a 2 year warranty

trail_rat
    Free Member

frames dont cause chainsuck rappers do 😉

geoffj

frames dont cause chainsuck rappers do

😉

😆

simondbarnes

Warranties cover manufacturing defects, not user error.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The Pace has the same issues regarding chainsuck. They don't cause it but the clearance is low so if it happens, it gets really jammed in there.

what_tyres
    Free Member

My 456 chain sucked from the word go with brand new drive chain all set up perfectly.

More recent versions that I've seen have a big dink in the stay to minimse the problem. IIRC Brant used to tell people to hit the stay with a big hammer to enlarge the clearance – but that could be urban myth.

While it's worn drive chains and dry/muddy chains that cause the problem, the closeness of the stay to the chainrings mean that it's much more likely to happen (or less forgiving of less than perfect rings, chain etc if you want to look at it that way…)

Warranties may not cover user error but should cover shonky design.

firestarter
    Free Member

new ones have newer shaped bit on the chainstay

scaredypants

the sanctimonious set need to calm down a bit I think

any drivetrain that uses a sprung rear derailleur chainsucks if

a) you've used it for more than about 100 miles offroad
    b) you ride more than about 10 miles between cleanings (ed – if it's muddy)

sure, the extent is variable & depends on things like how bad your chainline is (crossing the whole block etc), soemtimes badly timed chainring shifting as well as how kacky your chain is, what sort of kack it actually is, & other stuff but to deny it happens on properly set up bikes is stupid

what matters (until you get ludicrously bad chainsuck) is how close your chainrings are to the stays. Bikes trying for big tyre clearance are always at greater risk of chainsuck damage

and please explain how badly adjusted gears contribute ?

jack
    Free Member

I've had no problems at all with mine, worth far more than it cost and if I actually managed to break it I'd bin it and buy another one.

geoffj

I lurve this diagram me 🙂

geoffj

the sanctimonious set need to calm down a bit I think

😯

scaredypants

Am I talking to you ?

no geoff, you're the pedantic set 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Only once had a problem with chainsuck on my 456 and it was sorted replacing the owrn rings on my chainset (along with the cassette and chain for good measure). No idea on warranty, not needed it. IT will be as good as most other frames as per uk law. But at £125 buy two just in case.

Saccades
    Free Member

Never heard a bad thing about On-0nes warrenty, christ I got my inbred at warrenty replacemnet price because my carrera had developed a crack (brant felt sorry for me and was half leathered).

No chainsuck either with HT1 (XTbb/lx crank) and I'm the laziest bastard in the world when it comes to cleaning, so much so I've alfined my 456 (tyres are all 2.35's).

Hard to see how you can go wrong, cheap frames with proven geometry.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorry but WTF do you want my 456 costs £125.01 and it is a far better bike than my old trance.

I have chainsuck issues but it is because I have knackered chainrings so it is my fault

No you will not regret buying a 456 they are unberfugginleavable

RestlessNative
    Free Member

IIRC Brant used to tell people to hit the stay with a big hammer to enlarge the clearance – but that could be urban myth.

No he really did, though the evidence was probably lost with the old forum. I did this to my 853 Inbred about 2 years ago, much better.

PJay
    Free Member

The best option is to limit chainsuck happening. I've got an 853 Inbred and found that good old Deore steel inner and middle rings help, lube can also make a difference and keeping things nice and clean helps also. To be honest I think that even the most well cared for drivechain can suck so it's also good to have some damage limitation methods for when it does. I've found that the chainring clearance is so tight the the chain just cuts through zipties. I'm currently trying out a chainsuck plate, but these seem hard to get hold of and are fiddly to fit with On-One's wide stays.

PJay
    Free Member

The best option is to limit chainsuck happening. I've got an 853 Inbred and found that good old Deore steel inner and middle rings help, lube can also make a difference and keeping things nice and clean helps also. To be honest I think that even the most well cared for drivechain can suck so it's also good to have some damage limitation methods for when it does. I've found that the chainring clearance is so tight the the chain just cuts through zipties. I'm currently trying out a chainsuck plate, but these seem hard to get hold of and are fiddly to fit with On-One's wide stays.

I've noticed chainsuck seems to increase with a new drivetrain or chain for a while (wearing in?).

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Still using square taper BB and cranks on mine so I just got a slightly wider BB, more clearance and no problems with chainline 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Only really asking abut chainsuck because there's loads of comments in the forumns.

I know that fames on't cause chainsuck but the clearance is critical to how much damage is done!

Just about to be made redundant and starting my own freelance web dev company so budget is tight, hence questions!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘456, warranty & chainsuck’ is closed to new replies.