Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 456 vs Slot drop Inbred – ride quality
  • njm

I'm planning on getting either an Inbred slot dropout or a 456, in a 14" frame, when the container drop comes in.

I don't think the weight difference between the two is significant given my ample weight, and I don't think the types of riding I usually do would mean I NEED the 456, although I might like to try longer forks at some point.

So my question is, does anyone have any comments on the difference in the feel of the ride between the two?

haddock
    Free Member

I recently enquired about a 14" frame for my better half, I was thinking about using a 130mm tora u turn fork – got pointed towards a 456. As the name implies it will suit whatever fork you put on it – that seems a good idea to me. 🙂

igm

Got both in 18". With the same Fox 130R fork I think the slot drop out is a little better handling but there ain't much in it and that could be because I built the SDO as a single speed.
    Both are good fun bikes that cope with downs superbly and climbs OK.

clubber
    Free Member

I've had both. They ride very similarly as you might expect. The only real difference I noticed out on the trail was that the 456 felt a little more stable/slower steering like a head angle difference of a degree maybe.

jonb
    Free Member

If your weight is ample then the 456 is stronger but it depends if you ride heavily and jump etc.

The slot dropout lets you go singlespeed. You need to try it once… But the slots have the minor disadvantage of being slots rather than vertical dropouts. I don't think many have found a problem with this but you may need to run chain tugs to keep the wheel in place and it is slightly harder to get the wheel out.

I ran my 456 with 100mm forks for years and it was great. I know run it with 140mm forks and it's great. Think you can run the slotdrop at 130mm

My 456 comes in at about 30lbs the 19" is something like 5 and a bit pounds not sure abot slotdropout.

If I had to buy one now, personally I'd be going slotdropout because of the weight benefits, singlespeed options and colour.

thomthumb
    Free Member

slot dropout rides ace at 140 also….

nickc

They ride like what they are: Steel hardtails. they share the same Genetics (if you see what I mean). Go for the 456, it's a more versatile bike

ski
    Free Member

My Mrs has a 14" inbred but with 100mm MX Comps.

Even for me at 5-9" with a long seat post (check out the pic ;-)) its a blast, great fun

I would not worry about the weight tbh and if you you want to run big forks then go for the 456.

But she finds her setup spot on for her.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surely the seat angle difference (with the same fork) will have an impact for geared riders?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘456 vs Slot drop Inbred – ride quality’ is closed to new replies.