Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 456 Summer with 36's singlespeed?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

That's what I'm thinking of building. Any reason why not? Any good reason why not?
    Has anybody built one? Any pics? Cheers!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Would be decent for downhill, although 160mm sounds a bit overkill. 140mm would be better since its a slack frame anyway.

Probably wont ride uphill to well

lock
    Free Member

sounds fun,ive been looking at transition transam,in ss mode

VanHalen

the word 'barge' springs to mind.

take a long wheelbase frame. make the wheelbase longer by slackening the head angle to get the SS

then make it even longer again by over forking it.

switchbacks might be fun and anything twisty will be a no go area.

hora
    Free Member

Wandery and vague? What does Brant think?

cynic-al
    Free Member

why not try it…climbing not an issue as you won't be going up anything long & steep

D0NK

I'm sure i read brant saying the summer was dead slack so you could go down silly steep stuff with normal-ish 100/120 forks instead of 150+ so yeah barge like handling sounds right.

I was wondering if anyone had SSed a normal 456 tho (or Ti?) I haven't seen pics of any.

messiah
    Free Member

Depends where you live and ride innit?

If you need the slack geometry to ride down mega gnarly hills you'll probably have to walk up them first so any bad uphill handling traits are mute?
    If you live somewhere flat where you sit in the saddle all the time then again whats the point?

I live near big hills. For me the SS is all about a comprimise for climbing. A silly light bike which I "dance" up steep hills a-la Contador. For doonhall the rigid forks are a real hoot. I've tried it with suss forks of only 80mm and I found it too much when "dancing" on the pedals; I can only imagine that 160mm would be seriosly annoying bobbybobbydiveytastic fashion.

Despite all that I say build it if you want to.. it's a bike and it will be fun.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'll get the Talas working then, should be a blast.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘456 Summer with 36's singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.