Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 456 Summer Season
  • B@rney
    Free Member

Just got one, very nice. Its not sliding dropouts but I want to run it single speed. Do I have to get a chain tensioner? or can I get away without?
    Many thanks in advance!

grumm
    Free Member

I looked into this and was told I would almost certainly need a tensioner. Went with gears in the end.

What colour did you get?

Here's mine 🙂

B@rney
    Free Member

Snap! Went with orange after seeing that thread. Got sent a yellow initially by mistake and although nice, prefer the orange. So the tensioner thing keeps the chain in check when it gets bouncy? 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

i reckon, with 32:16, and a half link, you would get away without a tensioner, but this is just from "eyeing it up" and then deciding i wanted gears ;p

josh1982
    Free Member

what size is that one?

B@rney
    Free Member

I've got a 16 – looking at the pic I think 14??

paulosoxo
    Free Member

grumm
    Free Member

The one I posted is indeed a 14". It's pretty long though and is just about big enough for me (5'7 and a hald ish) to pedal fine sat down with a 400mm seatpost.

B@rney
    Free Member

Tell you what can't wait to get mine built up! Two smashing pictures..

devs
    Free Member

I've just converted one with a tensioner. At the moment it skips occasionally going up steep hills when I'm really cranking hard. I'm using a Fireye conversion kit with a 3/32 wippermann flood sale chain. I don't know if the skipping will get better as it wears in or not or even if I should maybe use a 1/8 chain. Would some one explain how a half link works. I don't get it,

B@rney
    Free Member

I agree – anyone shed some light on this please?

grumm
    Free Member

Aren't they just so you can make small adjustments by adding/removing half links to get the right tension?

robbo1234biking

Yeh they are just half the length of a normal link allowing you to make small adjustments of 1/2 inch to your chain which over the drivetrain is 1/4 of an inch

tinsy
    Free Member

This is a whole chain made from half links, but gives you the idea how they work, you can use 1 in a normal BMX chain to help get tension without a tensioner, yes its possible to get tension right, but from my experience, (not loads) of SS, the rings will wear and the chain will stretch, and you will need to mess about once in a while getting the tension right.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘456 Summer Season’ is closed to new replies.