Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 456 steel v carbon v Ti
  • jonnyrockymountain

I currently ride a steel 456 and thinking of up grading to either a carbon or Ti version
    Whats the differences/experience in how they ride???

wwaswas

ridden all three (Lynskey Ti) and owned a steel and a carbon.

Geometry feels the same across the three ride characteristics are what you’d expect really;

steel – pretty solid – it’s not an expensive frame, it has some spring but not much give. chuck it around and not worry about breaking it.

Carbon – solid but smooths out trail chatter pretty well. tendency to amplify the slightest squeak from a component, can sound like a tupperware box full of marbles on a fast descent on a loose surface as small stones ping off the frame. really light.

Ti – very springy, possibly too much ‘give’ in it for my tastes (although I only rode it around the local woods, not on an all day epic).

of the three, for me, the carbon is the best compromise between cost, performance and weight.

They seem to ride ‘best’ with a 140mm fork on, ime.

br
    Free Member

I bought steel first as a cheap winter frame, and really enjoyed the ride. Then I bought Ti (Lynskey brace), and it’s better 🙂

In simples; the steel is more composed at slow-mid speeds while the Ti is better for mid-high speeds – and the rockier/bumpier, the Ti is better.

Not ridden the carbon, but it sounds like it has all the advantages of both Ti (light, composed) and steel (cheap, composed).

I’ve found that they both work well on 140mm forks and big floaty tyres.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The new Titanium VN one looks pretty solid, all the old Lynskey ones crack dont they?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘456 steel v carbon v Ti’ is closed to new replies.