Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • 456 or Blue pig?
  • FOG

I know we have been down this route before but I have finally got to the stage of going and buying before VAT goes on [although I appreciate that won’t make that much difference}.
    I really can’t make my mind up, does anybody have a definitive opinon that will swing it? I don’t have the extra to go carbon so it’s a straight fight between £165 456 and £199 Pig. The only, highly subjective, feeling I have is that 456s look better than Pigs but that might be down to paint.
    Must be decided this week!

gator
    Free Member

456 gets my ‘vote’

Think they look better – nice colour options (not keen on raw)

More versatile ?

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re basically the same.

but, the pig has a slacker head angle, and that was the deal clincher for me.

very happy i am too.

mmb
    Free Member

does this help?

fourbanger
    Free Member

As a 456 owner, I’d say something other than a 456 unless you like heavy, flexy bikes with ugly seat stays.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As a 456 owner, I’d say something other than a 456 unless you like heavy, flexy bikes with ugly seat stays.

Flexy? Are you on the same planet as everyone else?

BadlyWiredDog

they’re basically the same.

but, the pig has a slacker head angle

Does the slacker head angle make any difference to the handling or is it just a cosmetic thing?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Head angle is pretty much the defining character of how a bike feels IMO. I’ve got an old, steep angled bike, a pretty slack FS bike and 2 somewhere in the middle. As you’d expect the steep one climbs well and feels lively and the slack one is far better and more confident at speed downhill, but noticeably slower to respond on the flat 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

Does the slacker head angle make any difference to the handling … ?

lots.

yes i’ve ridden a 456, and i own a standard inbred.

the steeper head angle on the inbred/456 means i have to hang off the back on steep descents, to keep my weight between the two wheels.

the slacker head angle on the Ragley means i can maintain a more ‘normal’ riding position on steep descents. making it all a bit easier.

the Ragley head angles are completely normal if you compare them to full-suspension bikes, but for reasons that i don’t understand it seems hardtails usually have old-school-steep head angles.

consider an inbred, with a 70 degree head angle, ride it down a steep slope, the forks will compress another inch or so, you now have a bike with a 71 degree head angle, and a really interesting weight distribution…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Crikey! As a Steel 456 (former) owner and a Ti 456 owner I’d say the following:

Ugly stays is a somewhat subjective statement – Dekerf do something similar that people seem to fawn over.

Heavy – Yes, theres no getting away from it that the 456 is not a light frame. However, in comparison to quite a few of the newest CEN compliant steel frames intended for similar riding, its actually fairly light/midweight.

Flexy is not something you can accuse a 456 of, unless you’re comparing it to one of those ridiculously overbuilt DJ things.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive owned both and found the pig goes up and down far better than a 456 but a 456 is more at home on all day rides. so it depends on your planned use i guess

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If there’s any left I can recommend the carbon 456 at £399……

🙂

IMG_0859 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

BadlyWiredDog

the Ragley head angles are completely normal if you compare them to full-suspension bikes

Really?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Depends on the bike I’d guess, BWD. My Pitch is pretty darn slack, but my old FSR was nowhere near it… 🙂

float
    Free Member

my blue pig with a sektor u turn is the best of both worlds. 150mm makes it a slack beast that loves being hammered down rocky trails (also goes well uphill, steep seat tube). crank down the u turn for the uphills and its just silly. if you can turn the pedals, the bike will get up the hill, the rest is down to you.

i havent noticed the weight being a disadvantage either.

ahwiles
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

Really?

yes.

67.5degrees.

doesn’t sound completely mental does it?

(if you don’t ride down many steep trails then a ‘normal’ 456 would be ideal)

(and i love the look of the 456 carbon)

Chadders
    Free Member

To just answer the origional question..

Theres not much difference between the two. So I’d go for the 456 purely as its a bit cheaper.

put the saving towards better components

brant
    Free Member

Do people not put any value in powdercoated finish? Frame features to prevent and protect against chainsuck, offering big mudclearance? Bolt on guides so you don’t need zip ties or to split your cables? Seat angles that put taller riders in the right place? Self apply decal sets?

If people don’t want that stuff, well, we could make ’em a lot cheaper.

Bit you know what… I kind of like that stuff, and that’s why we do.

On one rock. No question. But the Pig is a bit different.

saladdodger
    Free Member

On one rock. No question. But the Pig is a bit different

kind words there Brant but you did design both and all I can say is

“thank you”

I realy liked my inbred but the 456 is ace

Shandy
    Free Member

The Pig is better in lots of small ways, especially for taller people. I’ve had no chainsuck all winter, the clip-on guides are great. I’d say its well worth the extra dough.

ahwiles
    Free Member

brant – Member

Do people not put any value in … Seat angles that put taller riders in the right place?

this is bloody brilliant.

thankyou Brant.

firestarter
    Free Member

while we are at it the bolt on cable guides are great esp as i was able to run my rear brake on the down tube allowing for a cable guide for my dropper post 😉 shame i cant ride for toffee tho im getting better lol

saladdodger
    Free Member

now would I swap my 456 for a blue pig

er thats a possable maybe, but I could easily be tempted

ash

Theres not much difference between the two

They are indeed both hardtails 😉

So I’d go for the 456 purely as its a bit cheaper.

put the saving towards better components

Personally I don’t reckon you’ll notice a tangible improvement by spending the £34 difference on better components. If it were me I’d be spending it on the more advanced and more capable frame.

firestarter
    Free Member

to compare the two looks/size wise here are my two 16″ ones, the evolution of shedfire if you like 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do people not put any value in powdercoated finish? Frame features to prevent and protect against chainsuck, offering big mudclearance? Bolt on guides so you don’t need zip ties or to split your cables? Seat angles that put taller riders in the right place? Self apply decal sets?

Well, it was you that caused the On One chainsuck problem that exists on certain frames, so I wouldn’t boast about that too much if I were you, and to be honest I think the Ragley bolt on cable guides are poor. Self apply decals are purely a money saving ploy. Personally I’d prefer them under the laquer but if the frames cheap enough I’ll live with it. (and get my own made as above)

Sorry, but personally I wouldn’t even consider a Ragley

ahwiles
    Free Member

then sod off cheer up you grumpy bugger.

X

tk46hal
    Free Member

456 also gets the vote! I also know someone who might have a mint 16″ TI 456 frame to move on.

Shandy
    Free Member

Well, it was you that caused the On One chainsuck problem that exists on certain frames, so I wouldn’t boast about that too much if I were you, and to be honest I think the Ragley bolt on cable guides are poor. Self apply decals are purely a money saving ploy. Personally I’d prefer them under the laquer but if the frames cheap enough I’ll live with it. (and get my own made as above)

He was boasting about fixing the chainsuck problem, on Ragleys.
    What is “poor” about the cable guides?
    You bought a cheap destickered bike and came up with your own graphics but you think its a negative when Ragley do it?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I’d go for the Blue Pig personally. (Actually I’d go for a second hand Cove Handjob which is what I went for buy that’s another thread).

Dunno what yout frok situation is but if you went for an Mmmbop, you could take advantage of the very cheap forks with 1.5″ steerers knocking about at the mo.

firestarter
    Free Member

I can imagine brant crying into a bottle of blue label as we speak peter 😉

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I’m sure he’ll get over it, if you don’t like em, don’t buy em.

billyboy
    Free Member

I’ve yet to ride a Blue Pig (hopefully soon to be remedied) but it is along the same lines as a 456 so I’d say………………

NONE OF THE ABOVE

Go for a Sanderson Blitz

Seriously better than a 456

If you have to go Pig/456…get a size smaller than you think you need and don’t cut the steerer short until you are absolutely sure you are happy with it

billyboy
    Free Member

I missed the chainsuck comment.

Is that a plea of guilty?

It used to be the On One party line that owners were guilty of faulty gear changing….in my case it was strange the rider never had faulty gear changing for the twenty years prior to their owning a 456.

I enjoyed mine tho….good at covering ground and getting across sketchy stuff………good at climbing……never brilliant at descending.

The Blitz is a little heavier than my pre-CEN 456, and a little pricier but way better.

spw3

I struggled with the same conundrum earlier in the year. After pondering what it was I wanted the bike for (muck about in the woods, 2hr trail centre bashes) I went with the Ragley. Not sure about the colour but it is fun. I think the slack head angle reassures me after 10 hrs riding full sus bikes with 66 -69 degree front ends.

Going down is fun, going up is only worth it for the down.

If that statement gets on your nerves buy the on-one.

brant
    Free Member

The Blitz is a little heavier than my pre-CEN 456,

Really? Says it’s 4.6lb. That’s light. That’s Cotic Soul type light.
    http://sanderson-cycles.com/content/sanderson-blitz

Looks ace. And 67deg head angle at sag is my type of head angle. Couple of degrees slacker than the 456.

Nice frame.

kolorworx
    Free Member

456 gets my vote 8)

billyboy
    Free Member

My 18″ Blitz weighed 5.8lbs, and built up with sturdy kit it weighes 29.3lbs.

I saw that 4.6lbs on their webpage aswell, and I think it goes on to say the Blitz is made of Reynolds 853, which is also untrue. I think they have another webpage out there that gives the true facts/figures and when I spoke to them about it, prior to buying, they were quoting near 6lbs for frame weight.

Blower
    Free Member

Well i always thought chain suck was down to worn drivetrain,mud,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘456 or Blue pig?’ is closed to new replies.