Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 456 On One Trail or 853 Rock Lobster TIG Team??
  • PlopNofear
    Free Member

456 On One Trail or 853 Rock Lobster TIG Team?? HELP!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The On One would be my choice, more trail/play orientated, good geometry, fantastic forks. All the rest of the kit isn't that important, as long as it works. Things like tyres, seat, stem, handlebars you might want to change to your preference anyway.
    You probably need to decide what you are going to be doing on the bike. Are you just wanting it light and fast for fitness and covering miles? or do you want it to be more all-round?.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Depends don't it?

On-One is burlier and can take a longer fork, yeah, but the RL 853 is a lighter and nicer frame. I'd swap the Recons for Rebas, and online it will still come to £999, I think.

RL 853 is more XC oriented, and looks slightly better specced for the money, if you include the Rebas. Slightly shorter top tube, so maybe better if you don't have Orang-Utan arms…

I have a RL 853, and have ridden an Inbred, which has a similar tubeset. The On-One felt a bit 'dead' and sluggish by comparison, and was a teeny bit too long for my liking. The RL seems a bit better made really.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Rock Lobster £299

New Carbon 456 £399 😆

No competition!

Edric64
    Free Member

So steel that will last for ever or for another 100 quid plastic that may do a year or two.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Well im based in Surrey so i have lots of climbing to do, i cycle to the trails on roads (Can't drive yet…).on average the whole ride is 25 miles long.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well it really depends on your riding style, and the kind of geometry that you feel comfortable with. I'm small and light, and the RL 853 is the better choice for me. Might be a bit flexy for big heavy riders, but it's got a nice 'springiness' that absorbs a little bit of trail shock, whereas I found the On One lacked that.

devs
    Free Member

I've got both. The 853 is for eating up the miles; runs with nothing too steep or gnarly. It does twitch a bit over rough stuff and doesn't feel planted or comfortable. The 456 will do anything but isn't as quick over the ground. If I was forced into choosing just one it would be the 456.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

So steel that will last for ever or for another 100 quid plastic that may do a year or two.

Yeah, that's how it works. I have a 1998 Trek OCLV 9900 light XC frame that I have THRASHED, still in one piece. Do you think Carbon frames have progressed at all in 12 years?

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Carbon 456 has just flown the CEN test.

Has the RL 853?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘456 On One Trail or 853 Rock Lobster TIG Team??’ is closed to new replies.