Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 456 Geometry changed?
  • lhafty
    Free Member

Does anyone have comparison between an older 456 and the actual one? I had one several years ago and it was great. Sold it for something lighter. Bad idea. Now I want one again, ti version is my favorite. Seems geometry has changed at all, though OO claims ist hasen’t.
    Can anyone confirm this or not. So maybe I’d better go for a lynskey one. But nobody has an 18″ for sale.

andyl
    Free Member

there is an 18″ Lynksey on ebay at the moment. Up for the same as a new frame with warranty though!

Why do you think the geometry has changed? If there was any tweaks surely it would be as a result of feedback so it could ride nicer.

edit: the weight does seem confusing though. Originally they claimed 1500g, then the site was ammended to say 1700g after they got some in and now it is 1925g – that is a lot more than my 1400g carbon one.

wwaswas

current ones Ti ones are VanNic not Lynskey built – maybe they’ve changed the tubing?

andyl
    Free Member

The feel will have undoubtedly changed bit due to the different tubing and slightly different tube layout – most noticable is the loss of the curved top tube and introduction of swap outs.

The new frame certainly doesn’t look as pretty but more utilitarian but there are definite benefits – chainguide mounts, swapouts, tapered head tube and buying new will give you a lifetime warranty – I doubt (and hope) On One are not going bust any time soon.

I would be tempted by a Ragley Ti but the price is just so much higher and I do like the ability to run a short fork on the 456.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I did a proper ride on my new VN ti 456 at the weekend.

Very impressed indeed.

lhafty
    Free Member

The VN design is way nicer than the old lynskey one. Also it’s much versatiler with swap outs. I have a rohloff wheel here and am thinking of putting this in also.
    The curved top tube always held me from buying the old one. So fugly. But nevertheless there are some riders reviews on mtbr which claim the VN to be a different but not a better ride. So undecided. I would like to hear one having the old and now the new one, saying no difference in ride quality.
    Ragley is no alternative, I don’t really like this nu skul geometry.
    Yeti, do you have a comparison to another 456, steel one maybe?

ash

I would be tempted by a Ragley Ti but the price is just so much higher and I do like the ability to run a short fork on the 456.

Eh? Ragley geometry would work at least as well with a short fork than a 456 would…

chakaping
    Free Member

Get a carbon one and spend the change on a nice holiday (and perhaps a blindfold if you don’t like the looks).

😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s the only 456 I’ve owned, but it flys uphill and you can hammer it down them again! Didn’t really miss the 5″ of rear travel I’ve become used to.

andyl
    Free Member

@ash: if you look at the spec sheet it says 130-150mm fork. http://www.ragleybikes.com/our-products/ti-frame/

heihei

I’ve been trying to find out the same thing! I have a Lynskey-built 456 (16″ though) and want to know the geometry to compare to other hardtails but can’t find it anywhere.
    On-One assure me it’s the same as the current version but don’t think that’s true. Let me know if you find out! Might be worth contacting Brant.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Most reviews out there are for the Lynskey one… search around and I’m certain one of them will mention the geometry.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘456 Geometry changed?’ is closed to new replies.