Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 456 fork travel 'sweet-spot'? (sorry, too many On-One threads…)
  • poppa
    Free Member

What are your experiences? If you could only run your fork at one travel setting, what would it be?

I'm looking for confident descending, capable climbing and doesn't feel like a barge in twisty singletrack.

cp

120mm for me. i ran a talas on mine, 100-140. 100 was good for climbing, but too 'fast' for anything else really. 140 was excellent for steep rocky descents, but slowed the steering down noticeably. 120 would do everything, and was killer on twisty singletrack!!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Only ridden mine briefly since building it up, but im running 120mm Recon's and it seems spot on. I reckon it would be too twitchy any shorter.

poppa
    Free Member

All good. Seeing as it was designed for 4/5/6" forks I take that to mean designed for 5" forks. I was thinking of 120-130 for mine.

gamo
    Free Member

140 vanillas on my ti456 work great!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

140mm with a short stem and wide bars

tinsy
    Free Member

I dont get the 456 and the overlap with the Inbred/Scandal, ive not ridden a 456 but if I was to buy one I wouldnt consider running less than the 6 inch forks on it.

I got a Scandal running 5 inch forks and get to save 2lbs of frame to drag about.

I guess there lots of geometry stuff that I just dont really understand though!

duckman

It's a point from Tinsy, the 456 is heavier than the Inbred, but takes the same forks and in the new green is prettier, so why buy the 456

IHN

130mm Revs on mine

firestarter
    Free Member

ive talas on mine and keep em at 140 for everything

Robespierre
    Free Member

150 non-adjust rev maxles, 60mm stem and 685mm bars works fine for me. I ride in the peaks which is not exactly abundant in tight, twisty singletrack so any ultimate issues i may have built in with regard to the speed of the steering are not really relevant.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

120 for most stuff

I run my Pikes at 140 for the dh stuff but for general riding they mostly stay at 120

ooOOoo
    Free Member

My mate swears by 137.4, he says it 'has the funk'

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the 456 suits the 120+ forks better than the inbred, and the frame is tougher (and heavier)

poppa
    Free Member

Very true, but the Inbred is designed for 4" forks plus or minus an inch, and the 456 for 5" forks plus of minus an inch. So they will probably ride differently with 5" forks… bit of an unknown factor though. The 456 is about 160g heavier than an Inbred according to weightweenies. Not a deal breaker for me.

tinsy
    Free Member

2lb more that a Scandal though.. 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

….or < 2% difference to the total weight of rider and bike… 😉

gamo
    Free Member

456 does feel different to an ordinary inbred!

poppa
    Free Member

Scandal:

Designed for covering the ground at high speed, moreso that leaping off things (if you like that, you need a 456).

Anyway, WW lists the 456 18" as 2300g ~ 5.07lbs. Scandal is 3.5lbs according to On-One website… so 1.6lbs more…

tinsy
    Free Member

Its just an opinion poppa… 456 pop big forks on it and jump lots of stuff. 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

I know… just an opinion here too…

br
    Free Member

100mm climbing steep stuff, 150mm going down anything, 120mm on the flat(ish) – buy Talas/U-Turn its just easier.

poppa
    Free Member

I have U-Turn on my current HT, but to be honest I tend to leave it at one setting. Probably would be good if you ride in different places every now and then, or dramatically varying terrain, but I don't tend to – it's hard enough to get time to ride round here as it is!

ddmonkey

I used to run my inbred with 4" forks as reccommended and it was fine, then I upgraded to some 140mm talas forks and I'm really loving it with the forks set at 140mm. I do like slack head angles though…

saladdodger
    Free Member

I run 125mm Mavs on mine and it works a treat I would not go longer but I wold go shorter

Knottie uses 100mm on his and he flies on the downs

I know of one guy with a Ti456 and he has swapped from a set of Long travel fox's to 100mm and prefers it

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘456 fork travel 'sweet-spot'? (sorry, too many On-One threads…)’ is closed to new replies.