Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 456 Carbon as xc bike?
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Have got the new frame itch and considering swapping everything on my 09 Stumpjumper hardtail to an On One 456 Carbon. My Stumpy currently gets used for training, events such as HONC and the odd xc race. I’d set the 456 up with 100mm forks and as the Stumpy comes in at under 22lbs imagine the 456 will too. Any owner feedback on 456c grateful. Not considering the Whippet at the mo due to different BB standards etc.

footflaps

456c with 100mm fork would be fine for XC (GF has one).

IHN

Well, I’ve got a steelie 456, which shares the same geometry as the c456, and it for years has been my one and only do it all bike, ‘all’ generally meaning riding around, up and down HONC country, but with trips to the Peaks, Quantocks, Wales etc etc and even the Alps.

For what used to be called ‘riding’, and is now called ‘XC’, a 456 is perfect.

[edit] all with 130mm Revs

cp

my steel 456 was fine with 100mm forks. Going to be rebuilding it again soon actually with an XC bias (rather than it’s short-lived 140mm travel play bike).

bigblackshed

What crank set do you have? The press fit BBs are normally compatable. Buy the appropriate spindle size and width BB with the new frame. Race Face, amongst others, make compatable BBs.

The C456 will work, but from how you describe your riding the Whippet would be more suitable.

Cheezpleez

It’ll be fine. 100mm will give quite a low front end unless you add spacers as the ht is short. If you want a ‘race’ set-up that won’t be a problem. I have 130mm Revs, a flattish bar and no spacers and even that’s quite low

honourablegeorge

Unlikely to be lighter than the Stumpy though, isn’t the C456 heavier than a Soul?

Northwind

I run mine at 120mm a lot of the time, and tbh it’s low… My forks won’t go down to 100mm but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like it, I catch the rings on stuff often enough as it is even with a double. But other’n that the weight and the character of the frame is definately suitable IMO.

If the Whippet’s been ruled out, I’d look at a Scandal before a C456 tbh.

benman
    Free Member

Can’t see it coming in at under 22lbs unless you’ve got some seriously light kit hanging off it?

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Unlikely to be lighter than the Stumpy though, isn’t the C456 heavier than a Soul?

No. Soul is 4-and-a-half pounds or thereabouts, 456 is 3.3.

flange
    Free Member

Does the ‘456’ bit of the frame not denote that it can be run with 4,5 or 6 inches of travel? 4 inches is 101.6mm so you *should* be ok….

cp

Scandal is an excellent call – they are great frames (I have one as my xc race frame). relatively light and stiff, but comfortable too.

Another good call is headtube length – 456c is 105mm with an internal headset, whereas a steel one is something similar, maybe even a little longer depending on size, but with an external headset which adds about 15mm effectively to the headtube – so as above, just be careful if you need to run your bars reasonably high…

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

No. Soul is 4-and-a-half pounds or thereabouts, 456 is 3.3.

So it is…. it seems I’ve been led astray with dubious facts.

andyl
    Free Member

I used to really enjoy my C456 at 100mm – definitely not overly twitchy etc etc. I used to prefer it to 130mm which felt a bit sluggish.

But then I started doing more rough stuff and I got to love 130mm…then I put a shorter stem and wide bars on and loved it more…now I am craving for a 150-160mm set of forks with a bolt through axle and a set of wide rims…that frame makes for a very slippery slope to doing stuff you didn’t intend to ride!

footflaps

Could just get a TALAS fork, then you have the best of both worlds, 140mm & 110mm.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Ta all for the above, good to get positive feedback re: 456c at 100mm,I spend majority of riding time in Chilterns or Cotwolds so plenty of singletrack but relatively smooth,wouldnt really need more than 100mm travel therefore. Looks like it could be a good choice. Question now is do On One do a STW discount! 😉

andyl46
    Free Member

I have my C456 with Talas forks, and do adventure races on it at 110mm, trail ride in the forest at 130 and throw it down stupid stuff at 150mm. The bike feels different at each setting, and feels right for each type of riding, responsive at 110 and you have to throw it about at 150.

Mine is 24lbs inc flats, with a reasonably light build, its a 20in.

For purely xc racing, id go for the whippet. For a do it (almost) all pretty well, the C456 is pretty damn good!

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Ta all for the above, good to get positive feedback re: 456c at 100mm,I spend majority of riding time in Chilterns or Cotwolds so plenty of singletrack but relatively smooth,wouldnt really need more than 100mm travel therefore. Looks like it could be a good choice. Question now is do On One do a STW discount! 😉

bennyboy1
    Free Member

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’d go for the whippet.

nuke

i’d go for the c456.

…and I did. My c456 has Reba u-turns so that’s 90-120mm travel and it probably spends most of it’s time at 90mm. It rides great…quality of travel, not quantity 😀 Good for down and up plus long rides (did the SDW in a day on it last weekend). Plus given the swapouts, in the winter I stick an Alfine on it.

If the Whippet’s been ruled out, I’d look at a Scandal before a C456 tbh.

NW makes a sound point here. Weight wise I measured my two frames (Same scales)…
    Scandal 18″: 1540g
    c456 16″: 1464g (No swapouts, bottle bolts, decals) + 40g bolts + 95g swapouts (horizontal) 1599g

andyl
    Free Member

That is a lot heavier than my 16″ was when I got it. Measured it on laboratory scales and it was well under that with all swapouts etc. Mine was one of the first batch with a very light coat of matte lacquer.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

my 456c (20″) is set up for XC, comes in a a shade under 21, set up with sids(100mm), carbon bars, carbon cranks. carbon brakes, X0 groupset and ritchey wcs finishing kit including wheelset. 😀

carbon337
    Free Member

Irish_AL any pics of your setup

Sounds great for long xc rides and races

Mine is standard revs 150 and seems fine for red/black trail centres.

I will say thought its equally as noisy as the Orange five it replaced.

jimmers
    Free Member

Not recommended if you like your knees. I did an xc race on mine and lost count of the times I bashed said knees on the wide top tube when honking out the saddle. I’ve also got a scandal, I would recommend a Scandal for racing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘456 Carbon as xc bike?’ is closed to new replies.