Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 456 carbon ?????????
  • jonnyrockymountain

How do these ride? Are they really harsh compared to my steel one or should I just go for it???

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had a steel summer season and it felt dead compared to the carbon 456 I replaced it with. The steel one was probably just as comfortable but the weight difference was noticeable and it accelerates better.

I don’t buy into carbon taking the sting out of things though, cos its a very solid frame.

pedlad

Starting to get quite interested in one of these in a “how can I fit another bike in the garage without the mrs noticing” sort of way.

Have there been any frame failures or are they v strong?

herbs109
    Free Member

I am thinking of buying one any suggestions in sizing, they say 18 inch suits most riders, I am just 6ft with a 32 inch leg. worried about light front end on climbing do you think 18 inch with a normal stem or a 20 inch with a short stem.

simonm
    Free Member

I’m selling one, small frame, ridden 4 times.

fadda

Herbs – I have an 18″ one, and I’m 6 foot exactly, with a 33″ inside leg. Fits me fine…

donsimon
    Free Member

I believe good form is just to go and buy it then learn from experience without taking advice from others.
    mtbtomo, that might be frame design. I have an Orbea Alma which takes the sting out and a Pipedream Sirius which does much the same in a slightly different way.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t buy into carbon taking the sting out of things though, cos its a very solid frame.

Works a treat for me though.

herbs – I am 5ft 9in with a 31in inside leg and the 16″ fits like a glove. I doubt very much you’d want a 20″ frame.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are they really harsh compared to my steel one

No. Quite the opposite I’d say compared to my Inbred. Light and direct with a very ‘muted’ feeling from the back end, but otherwise ‘just another bike’. Lost of fun to ride though 🙂

Worth reading through this if you’re thinking of fitting a tapered steerer fork though:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/interesting-headset-problem-tapered-steerer-carbon-456

mildred

I called into the showroom last week to try the sizing. I’m 5’11” and the 18″
    Felt Just right. I actually prefer smaller bikes but could easily go up to a 20″ on this. I think it has quite a low stack height because to me it felt low at the front and it had about 4cm of spacers under the stem.

If you can I’d recommend you try before you buy.

wwaswas

I’d say the carbon bike was an improvement over the steel 456 I had before.

The steel bike tended to just plough through stuff and you felt very bump through the saddle. The carbon frame although stiff, does seem to transmit less up through the saddle in terms of ‘trail chatter’ – it does seem to ‘float’ more across multiple roots and stuff as well which I think is as much down to low weight as material, though.

As an upgrade from the steel I’d say it was worth it.

I’m 6’1″ and 33 inside leg and I’m riding an 18″ with a 90mm stem.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll go against the grain here. I found the steel 456 too long. I’m not into the ‘XC’ feel.

16″ steel felt great. 6ft2.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting (or possibly not) point: I usually have a RF Deus carbon post on mine, but put a Thomson in last week after a bit of swapping around. Suddenly I could feel a lot more of the bumps.

Gone back to carbon now!

herbs109
    Free Member

Ordered an 18 should come any day, eagerly waiting to build my first project any tips or pitfalls to watch out for, headset should be fitted.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘456 carbon ?????????’ is closed to new replies.