Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 456 advice needed please!
  • stevede
    Free Member

Just in the process of getting a 456 for xc/trail duties as the five (built up with big brakes,wheels,pikes,double and bash etc) is overkill for my local riding (coastal paths,woods,singletrack etc).
    I've got a 100mm reba dual air to put on it.
    2 questions:
    1. regular or summer season?
    2. how do they ride with 100mm forks? Was wondering this as i hear you can get a spacer and take the rebas to 120mm – they are a few years old not the current versions.
    Thinking if the regular version would be too steep with the forks at 100mm then maybe the summer season would be better.
    Help lol!

br
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy a 456 if you've only a 100mm Reba, and want a 'mild' bike.

Better to get a 100mm specific frame.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I'd want 130mm forks as a minimum.

140's on my 456 and have has 160mm forks – it was fine with them too.

InATrance
    Free Member

summer season was designed to have a shorter fork on and still ahve the slack angles no?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Get an inbred instead

midlifecrashes

With the Rebas, taking the spacer out gives more travel. I'd be after the regular Inbred or Scandal to suit them though.

stevede
    Free Member

After a tough hardtail thats nice and cheap, on one state 100 – 160mm on the forks front, i thought that was quite a big range travel wise.
    Any other suggestions new or 2nd hand?

thwapy
    Free Member

I've just finished building up a regular 456 and I have Reba 115's on it. Just sold them and gone for 140mm PIKES, well you have to don't you !

vinnyeh

Summer season still has slack angles with 100mm forks- they're what it was designed to use.

I've got 140mm on my ti456 now, but had U-turn Revs once upon a time, and found them better (stiffer) at short travel. Ran them like that when I was based in the Peak, and they were fine, then when I moved back to Surrey singletrack where they shone at the short travel.

You'd be fine with either frame.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

If you want to stick with the reba's the perfect match would be a Scandal

igm

Agreed. Just rode my 456 with 140 Revs and that's about right by my reckoning.

stevede
    Free Member

Didn't even realise on one still did the inbred! My bad. Looks like that would be better suited, no point getting a 456 and putting a bigger fork on it when i've got a five for those days.
    Cheers for all the helpful replies.

poppa
    Free Member

Just to add fuel to the fire…

The 456 has exactly the same head angle as the Inbred for a given fork length. It is designed for fork lengths ranging from 4-6", therefore a 4" fork will be fine. If you want a slack head angle get a SS.

So..

Better to get a 100mm specific frame.

It is a 100mm specific frame.

But having said that, it still looks like an Inbred is a more sensible choice (or even a Scandal?)…

🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Just bought an inbred, problem solved. Cheers everyone 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had 100-130mm U turn coil revelations on my Inbred a few years back. At 100mm it was rubbish and was way better wound up to 107mm. 🙂

simon1975

Just bought an inbred, problem solved

Enjoy it!

I tried 100mm Reba on mine, but prefer it set to 85mm when I'm not using the 425mm A-C steely.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘456 advice needed please!’ is closed to new replies.