Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • 44t cassette wtf?
  • traildog
    Free Member

it’s equivalent to someone bringing out a 15″ dropper post.

People obviously feel they need the range because they need a double or triple setup and cannot manage with a single ring. So if a single ring setup comes out with the same range, then it’s a win.

To use your analogy, Like a dropper post which comes out with as much drop as you manage with a quick release. So not really like a 15″ dropper at all.

Trimix
    Free Member

brakes – some people like an easy ride up hill.

Give them all the choice they want. Some will soon learn what works for them and what doesn’t.

deviant
    Free Member

I’m at BPW today with a hardtail on a double chainset…..admittedly it’s only the morning and I’ve only been using the blues so far but…..no dropped chain.

I don’t use a clutch mech or N/W rings or a retention device…I know I’m not fast (although I’m keeping up with the pyjama wearing DHers today) but what has my LBS done that is so magical that the front mech works as intended and the chain doesn’t come off?!….I really don’t get people’s problems with a 2x setup.

traildog
    Free Member

I was shocked to find my bike came with a 36t after previously only ever having a 28t or 32t on the back. I moved from 26″ triple to a 29″ double setup and found that this was the norm.

I know riding up hills is unfashionable however there has to come a point where maintaing[sic] sufficient forward momentum becomes impossible as the cadence required to do so is stupidly high.

Is 22-32 on 26″ wheels not a smaller gear than 28-36 on 29″?

brakes
    Free Member

To use your analogy, Like a dropper post which comes out with as much drop as you manage with a quick release. So not really like a 15″ dropper at all.

it’s like a dropper post with the words “MUG” written on the side 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its one of those IMHO its sometimes people so intent on having a 1 x set up that they overlook the fact its not the best fit and just keep engineering “solutions” to give it the range of 2 x and not quite managing it [or requiring new bits to achieve it like cages or freewheeels and the like]

The dropper post anaology would be to buy a dropper and then having to keep buying/engineering things to make the drop bigger and bigger. After doing this the drop is still not as good as just undoing your QR and dropping the post anyway but it will almost work as well as that.

nickjb
    Free Member

Confused by the snake oil/magic beans references. Its a bigger gear. That’s engineering and scientific fact. About as far from snake oil as you can get.

As others have mentioned it not just about easier climbing. You get a bigger range so could fit a bigger front, keep the climbing gear the same and have a faster top gear.

traildog
    Free Member

The dropper post anaology would be to buy a dropper and then having to keep buying/engineering things to make the drop bigger and bigger. After doing this the drop is still not as good as just undoing your QR and dropping the post anyway but it will almost work as well as that

Yeah, like a product which will give you a bit more drop of your post.

And yet people will be saying “but I can still drop it an inch further with my qr”. What’s the point. And thus completely missing the point that they have to stop and get off to change it.

Perhaps it is a good analogy after all!

brakes
    Free Member

That’s engineering and scientific fact.

a solution without a problem

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong I think 1x works well for hilly areas but I would not want it in a mountainous area

YMMV

amedias
    Free Member

And of course we all know the next one will be 46t 😉

so we can have this discussion again later, woo hoo!

nickjb
    Free Member

a solution without a problem

so there is nobody that wants a higher top gear or a lower bottom gear. You learn something new every day.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I was out on my XC HT tail last night, my Whyte’s awaiting an insurance evaluation :-(, which I run 3 x 9 with 22/32/42 up front and a 11-34 cassette. I found that I only used middle ring and never needed granny. Comparing to my Whyte which is 1 x 11 running a 32T chain ring and a 10 – 42 cassette the main difference is I spin out in top the lower range is good for the hills around Winchester.

Overall I’m happy with my 11 speed setup but when I go to mid-Wales in June I might change my mind.

chestrockwell

I have no problem with 1x and can see how it works for some people it’s just I lol at the attempts of many to justify it for everything. I also lol at the idea of spending a huge amount of cash to get less range. It’s an option but is not a huge stride forward and is not the second coming.

As for bikes not being able to run a front mech, surely that’s as a result of the fashion for 1x? There’s plenty of bikes that can and I’m yet to read a review that states any bike is significantly better then another because it’s designed to not have a fm.

I liked the response to my earlier post that mentioned the weight saving benefit of dropping the fm, shifter and cable on a 45lbs+ bike.

As with all bike stuff, as long as you can afford it then wanting it is enough of a justification. You don’t need to make up loads of negligible arguments to supplement your choice.

amedias
    Free Member

I liked the response to my earlier post that mentioned the weight saving benefit of dropping the fm, shifter and cable on a 45lbs+ bike

I think you misunderstood!

The bike weighs about 23lbs, but when I use it for bikepacking and camping trips it can have 20+lbs of gear attached to it, and its for those trips that the phantom granny is left on as a rarely used bail out option, for the other 99.999% of the time I’m enjoying the benefit of a 1x with a NW ring.

I’m not going to bolt a shifter, mech and cable on, and remove the NW ring every time I go off on a trip where I might once in a blue moon need to use the granny, now THAT would be silly, for me a manual shift 2-3 times a year is worth it for the rest of the time.

dragon
    Free Member

So we are going backwards in tech. As they say there is little new in bicycle design

amedias
    Free Member

does it come in anodized purple?

Trimix
    Free Member

Oooh, how on trend with flats and a short cage mech as well 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

The other issue is you will need wider bars to fit your dropper lever, your front mech, your fork lockout and rear suspension lockout…………..not to mention brakes. Where will it end ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If I had the money I think I’d go with a DI2 double setup and just use 1 shifter in syncro shift mode, seems a **** brilliant idea.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJCCOGV06s[/video]

cookeaa

A quick fag packet calc suggests than a 10-44 cassette actually comes pretty close to matching the overall range that my old 2×9 managed (11-32 + 36/22, i.e. You can either have the same bottom or top ratio depending on weather you prefer a 30t or a 32t chairing, and give away about two tooths worth of extra gear at the other end… So 10-46 might just do it.

Like I say same overall range, obviously not all the same possible ratio combinations, but as people often like to point out due to “duplication of ratios” there’s probably only about 12 to 14 useful gears in amongst the supposed 20 a 2×10 drive offers, I don’t reckon 11 sequential gears is such an awful compromise set against that.

for my own part In have learned to love a lower range shimano 1×10; MTFU for hills and accept “spinning out” on the odd boring flat bit…

Different strokes for different folks innit…

It’s not like multiple ring setups will vanish, flogging extra parts to the luddites is still profitable… 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t reckon 11 sequential gears is such an awful compromise set against that.

But even the adherents have to admit it is a compromise and that is for gearing as yet not available

I would rather compromise on a 2x set up if I needed a 44 rear.

Its personal choice though but the while point of gears is to increase the range of gears. Self limiting them to almost enough [ with some faffing and in 1 x 10 additional components and much expense] is not my opinion of an advancement.

YMMV

gavstorie
    Free Member

its not a new thing.. ARI have had them out for a while.. I replaced the 42T on my xx1 cassette when it cracked..

http://www.aribike.it/pignone%20sram%20XX1%20html/ari%20cog%20for%20sram%20xx1%20cassette%20eng.htm

mcnik
    Free Member

Everything is a compromise, you just have to pick your one.

The point of gears is to give you the option of more than one gear.

It is just a different compromise. Some people don’t much like the extra noise and complexity and weight of a front shifter and multiple chainrings. They also feel that they can ride most of what they want with a more limited set of gears.

“I applaud this test, but I still feel that variable gears are only for people over 45. Isn’t it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft. Come on fellows. Let’s say that the test was a fine demonstration – for our grandparents! As for me, give me a fixed gear!”

chestrockwell

The other issue is you will need wider bars to fit your dropper lever, your front mech, your fork lockout and rear suspension lockout…………..not to mention brakes. Where will it end ?

You’re forgetting that those that think anyone who doesn’t run 1x is an idiot and front mechs are the work of the devil will already have 1.5m bars with plenty of room. I would suggest front and rear lockouts would be scoffed at in a similar fashion to a proper range of gears though.

nickc

Probably would have had the same threads about forks and discs if there had been a forum back then.

you have no idea…. 😐

therevokid
    Free Member

wish i could “spin out” 32×11 … I’m lucky if i can hold 120rpm
    for more than a few seconds 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I manage to fit 2 brake levers, 2 gear levers, 2 lockout levers, 2 bar ends and 2 grips on 60cm bars (no dropper, grumble, grumble, new fangled technology).

Can I just check, are bar ends still allowed if you’re running 1x?

njee20
    Free Member

Can I just check, are bar ends still allowed if you’re running 1x?

No.

aracer
    Free Member

Not even gold anodised ones?

njee20
    Free Member

Especially gold anodised ones!

amedias
    Free Member

And of course we all know the next one will be 46t

so we can have this discussion again later, woo hoo!

OK, so I was wrong, the next one is a 45T, can’t be long now though 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘44t cassette wtf?’ is closed to new replies.