Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 44mm headset – is that 'common'?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Looking for a new (to me) frame. A hardtail that can take a beating and long forks.

I want a bike I’ll be able to run for a while or sell on. That means able to run tapered forks and 30.9mm seat posts*.

Ragley Bagger is my current favourite but confused by a review which said “The new frames now mostly sport the 44mm headset style, giving you the option of running tapered, 1 1/8 or 1.5 forks”. I’m confused as 1.5″ = 38.1mm.

Is 44mm an unusual size?

*no need for mentions of wheel size.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yes, pretty common, obviously you adjust the tube for steerer wise by using the right headset cups. The 1.5″ end will be an external bearing cup.

breadcrumb

44mm is the internal diameter of the head tube, which obviously has to be larger than the steerer. As GD states, for tapered forks the lower bearing will be external. 1?” forks can use an internal headset both top and bottom.

alanf
    Free Member

Got one on my Anthem.
    I think as standard (at least on this model of Anthem) it’s a semi integrated style so no external cups as such and the bearings sit inside the frame (inside a semi integrated cup) when using a straight steerer.
    However, you can fit a bottom cup that is external so the frame will then accept a tapered steerer fork. I’ve currently got this setup after switching fork.
    I imagine with an external top cup also you could run a 1.5″ steerer fork too, so pretty much everything is covered.
    Be aware though that using the external cups will most likely alter the head angle, certainly with the bottom cup, and raise the stack height.

samtheman
    Free Member

Hello,
    44mm refers to the inside diameter of the frame’s headtube, and is now pretty common on new frames. As you mentioned, it allows you to run whatever sized steerer you want (I reckon it’s one of the better recent ‘standards’ adopted by the bike world, hope it’s here to stay). A rough example:
    1″1/8 fork – both top & bottom headset cups will sit integrated into the headtube;
    Tapered fork – top headset cup sits integrated, bottom headset cup sits external of the headtube;
    1.5″ fork – both top & bottom headset cups will sit external of the headtube.

You’re correct that 1.5″ equals 38.1mm; but this refers to the outside diameter of the fork’s steerer, which is not the same as the headset cup diameter required (in this case it’s 44mm).

Hope that helps, almost confused myself there. Give me a shout if you want any more info.
    BTW, I’ve got a Cotic BFE with 44mm headtube, & it’s bloody ace. Get one!

EDIT: guys above beat me to it

TimCotic
    Free Member

The original intention of 44mm was to increase strengh (welding area) and allow even beefier forks for serious aggro bikes. Another feature if 44mm tubes is ability to take the Angleset headset which allows you to modify your head angle by (I think) by +/- 1.5 degrees. The 44mm width (both top and bottom) allows fitting of the Angleset ( which works on a similar principle to an eccentric BB). A tapered or 1 & 1/8″ headseat can’t do this.

Ps. My riding is far too wimpy to bother with any of that stuff. I enjoy my Salsa with rigid old-style quick release forks LOL. 😀

STATO
    Free Member

The 44mm width (both top and bottom) allows fitting of the Angleset ( which works on a similar principle to an eccentric BB). A tapered or 1 & 1/8″ headseat can’t do this.

44mm only allows angleset for straight 1-1/8 steerer, a tapered headtube (44mm top / 49mm or 56mm lower) allows angleset with taper or straight steerer.

welshfarmer

You can run a +1 degree angle set in a 44mm headset with tapered forks as I have one. However, that is the maximum.

timmys

44mm only allows angleset for straight 1-1/8 steerer, a tapered headtube (44mm top / 49mm or 56mm lower) allows angleset with taper or straight steerer.

Wrong

You can run a +1 degree angle set in a 44mm headset with tapered forks as I have one. However, that is the maximum.

Right (I have one in my 44mm headtube too)

STATO
    Free Member

The second part was right tho :0)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slight hijack, I’m looking at a frame with a 49/62 head tube. I can only see 50/62 listed. Two questions.
    1) is this a rounding “error” or a different headset?
    2) will an angleset type headset work on this with a tapered steerer and does that bottom bearing remain in the frame?

My last bike purchase was still 1,1/8″ straight steerer and head tube.

sam_underhill

Fortunately, hope have made a really useful diagram

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPE-HEADSET-FITTING-CHART.pdf

Onzadog
    Free Member

It is useful, but not useful enough for my questions.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have some cane creek HS cups for 44mm headtube and tapered steerer forks. PM me if you want them.

kelvin
    makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all. Clear now.

I can’t imagine I’ll want an angleset on the Bagger or it’ll look like a chopper. Nice to know I can run my current forks (1 1/8″) and got compatibility in the future.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘44mm headset – is that 'common'?’ is closed to new replies.