Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 42T 1X10 Setup Query
  • domderbyshire
    Free Member

Evening. I am thinking of ordering a 42T cog for my 1X10 setup. I know the manufacturers state to remove the 17T cog from the cassette to make space. What I want to know is if swap out the 15T cog and replace it with a 16T to even out the ratios, which I know has been done, will this part do the job:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-dura-ace-cs-7900-sprocket-16t-1yz-1600-d-prod30229/

I cant seem to find an XT or XTR 16T cog anywhere, so I thought a road cog from a 10 speed cassette might well work.

What do you think?

Many thanks,

Dom

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Don’t see why not i was looking at that myself till i found one hanging in the shed!

oliverracing

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, I’ve put a part of a 9 speed road cassette with the top 4 cogs of an 11-32 mtb cassette – worked well, shifted great and outlasted the rest of the bike!

STATO
    Free Member

There was another thread on this (unsurprisingly), consensus was itll work, i.e. the chain will run on it, change gear etc. BUT the teeth orientation relative to the other sprockets is not the same as an XT 16t, so it might be a bit jumpy/hesitant to shift.

matther01
    Free Member

You can get them from ze continent.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Well you could always take a file to long spline tab so you could rotate it round into a better position

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. STATO, does an XT 10 sp compatible 16T exist?

matther01
    Free Member

Just Google m771 16t cog

matther01
    Free Member

Yep…but it’s out of stock at Rose so you’ll have look around. I’ll be doing the same soon.

STATO
    Free Member

I have no idea other than what i read elsewhere, just passing on info, search if you want to find details. My thought would be same as mallorcadave tho.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘42T 1X10 Setup Query’ is closed to new replies.