Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 42mm CX tyres, what's fast and light
  • wassertreter
    Free Member

What are people running for fat(-ish) road and gravel tyres? Conti Cyclocross Speed 460g, Maxxis Wormdrive 470g, what else is sub 500g with little center thread?

qwerty
    Free Member

? Racing ? Ralph ?

wassertreter
    Free Member

querty, you made me scheck out the Schwalbes, and the Furious Fred looks interesting. Thought it would be more expensive but €35 is not too bad. As said, my terrain is not very puncturising, well behaved gravel mostly, thankfully.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Why 42mm, that’s not fattish, it’s huge!

Plenty of good tyres at 32mm. Michelin Mud 2 is a good tyre and rolls reasonably well on tarmac too. There’s also the Vittoria XG Pro, another good all round tyre.

wwaswas

out of interest if you’re stickign to gravel and cycle paths why the need for fat rubber? Would a thinner tyre not be faster/no worse?

wassertreter
    Free Member

I’m running 32mm Grifo XS at the moment, and they are fantastic. But come spring I’m going to venture further up the mountains, where larger rocks are quite common. A bit more air should help to prevent bottoming out. Gravel paths down in the valley are fine with 22mm race tyres, but the higher you climb, the more tyre you want.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘42mm CX tyres, what's fast and light’ is closed to new replies.