Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 42 Holes In My Back Tyre
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I got back from a ride yesterday with my tyres and bike a nice shade of dusty grey. I left the bike in the garden for the afternoon and when I came to put it away on the night noticed loads of little wet spots on the tyres. On closer inspection I could see a hole on pretty much through all of them. I counted 42 in total. I’m not saying all of these would of been punctures in traditional tubes but some of them were decent size holes. Thank you tubeless. Might be time for a new rear tyre soon though.

kimbers

meaning of life

perchypanther
    Free Member

42 Holes In My Back Tyre

First night in prison?

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m having this issue too. Sealant bubbling out of probably 30 or so small holes in each sidewall. Tyre staying up.

WTB something or others. Never had it on any other tyre.

Marge
    Free Member

Had the same thing whilst racing in the south of France. (very dry & the bushes are full of thorns)

Makes you appreciate how great tubeless & sealant combo is.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not a real puncture unless you get sprayed in the face with warm, white sealant as you’re riding. One of the pleasures in life.
    (This doesn’t happen on back tyre punctures)

Kahurangi

Some tyres have thin sidewalls and will weep a bit of air and sealant.

My WTB (standard carcass) do this as does the Mrs’ Schwalbe (snakskin carcass).

andysredmini
    Free Member

Its definitely holes and not sidewall weeping. It does that as well when left. Its a hans dampf and nearly 2 years old but swapped in the summer for a rock razor. They get slated a lot but the hans dampf works great and lasts well round these parts.
    The centre knob edges have started to go so its about time to get a new one anyway.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I blew my front tyre off the rim the other morning (half asleep and clipped a rock at a daft angle). I had to put a tube in to carry on but not before spending 10 minutes carefully removing 13 slimy hawthorn thorns first.

digger95
    Free Member

The details of real life tubeless experience in this thread are what is missing from most ‘should you go tubeless’ chatter.

+1 for panaracer flataway kevlar strips. very effective thorn blocking, no tubeless mess or garage tyre wrestling, can change tyres for different conditions easily. Don’t do anything for pinch flats so if you want low psi / more grip then yes tubeless absolutely.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I think some of the stories above are a good advert for tubeless.
    I run my tyres anywhere from 10f 15psi rear (on really steep stuff) to 20f 25r on jumps. In the 5 or so years and many thousands of miles running tubeless I have had 2 punctures that i remember. one when i ripped the sidewall on some rocks. The second was a small hole and I hadn’t realised my sealant had dried up. I learned a valuable lesson that day about checking for thorns before you put a tube in. Two tubes later and 100m further down the hill I found why the tyre kept going back down.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘42 Holes In My Back Tyre’ is closed to new replies.