• This topic has 25 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gee.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 42 cog noise on sram x1 cassette
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody had just this gear make strange noises? all my other gears shift and make no noise (not even griding in the peak grit), bar the 42cog

I’m running a absolute black oval chainring, kmc x11sl chain and x1 cassette/xt 11speed rear mech, chain length fine, b-tension fine etc

all shifts are crisp etc, but when wynching up long slogs if I use the 42c it makes a kind of pulling/jumpy type noise just in the 42cog, drop down the next and instantly goes, its there every other revolution and as said its like a jumping/pulling type noise (as though it sounds like it skipping but actually doesn’t)

any ideas? its a fair old mix of brands/components though I’m 99.9 sure it didn’t do it when I first had it all (don’t really use the 42very often)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

the 42 is pressed onto the rest of the block, at a guess there is a small amount of movement? movement = noise

tomhoward

It the sound of your inner self acknowledging that you need to mtfu and use a smaller cog.

Hth

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive not looked at the cassette as such (other than theres no movement on the hub)

will investigate the 42 cog itself, though its relatively new so not something Id thought of,

its very odd, it almost sounds like something pulling/yanking at the jockey wheels, like its jumping, but everything routed correctly

tbh since its been doing it ive used it even less as it almost feels a bit vibrating through the saddle

hammyuk
    Free Member

Theres a few on here who’d like it vibrating in the saddle….

starrman82
    Free Member

b screw?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

tried the b-screw yesterday, wound it right in so it was almost touching (buggered up gearing) but noise still there

and then wound it out as far as i could and still there

worth noting its also suddenly when backpedalling dropping down the cassette, something it definitely didn’t do a few weeks back?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member

Theres a few on here who’d like it vibrating in the saddle….

yeh I’m very sure there is 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its very odd, it almost sounds like something pulling/yanking at the jockey wheels, like its jumping, but everything routed correctly

ah is it the clutch?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive had the clutch apart before and it was making a racket, but a re-grease cured that, however this makes the noise with the clutch engaged or not so not really thinking its that this time

tthew

Sounds like the indexing/limit screw at the top end may be a little off. Have you dropped it recently? Slight bend in the gear hanger possibly?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Is the limit screw set right ?

leftyboy
    Free Member

Slight bend in the gear hanger possibly?

This I’d say

mikekay
    Free Member

Chain alinement ? I find the AB chain rings don’t have enough dish so when your in 42 the chain is pulling across a long way. Ive had to use a crank set with a 163 q factor and space the bottom bracket over to get it right

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Don’t think the hanger is bent tbh, it s shifts absolutely perfectly in every gear even the one in question

Assuming your mean the limit screw for the low(42t) cog? Could have knocked it I guess though it shifts in and out of it ok but could well be as its suddenly started dropping when back pedalling so I’ll take a look at that

It’s nowt major just prefer it to not be making the noise it does sure it’s an easy fix

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Chain alignment i did think but it doesn’t make sense that it was fine when all put together and running fine and nothing’s changed on it as I’ve used the ab ring for over a year now

mikekay
    Free Member

Your set up is very similar to mine and the only other time i have problems is when the chain gets very mucky with old oil build up, it gets clicky and noisy and a good clean with degreaser sorts it out. But thats usually across the full block.

Mike

leftyboy
    Free Member

Is the ring over a year old? What sort of milage has it done? How old is the chain? Maybe it’s wear and tear and only apparent on the 42 as it’s the most extreme chain angle?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

No sorry meant I’ve been using the ab chainrings for a year but had a few not the same one, this ones about a month old with a new X11 sl chain and X1 cassette again all brand new

No noise at all new, no noise at all in any other gear apart from 42t

I’ll have a look at the low limit screw as it would make some sense as to it now falling off back pedalling

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chainline is my guess but also check know the me how is done up right mine unwound until I popped some loctight on it

gee
    Free Member

Either a bent hanger, dodgy chainline or limit screws.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, will have a look at the chainline, hanger and limit screws then 🙂

toomba
    Free Member

I find setting up the spam 1×11 is a nightmare I just can’t seem to get it right

bigblackshed

Bent mech hanger, limit screw, bent tooth on the 42, gunked up chain, stiff links in chain, worn or stiff or gunked up jockey wheels. The list is endless.

Take the chain off and give it all a good clean, then setup from scratch, starting with the mech hanger.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

was also going to add, when I’m on the flat or minor incline it doesn’t make any noise (or in the workstand) in the 42t cog in question, just when climbing steep when its needed

not sure if that would be todo with chainline then?

gee
    Free Member

Yes it could be – the extra torque put through it when ridden up a hill makes it make that noise when chainline is a bit extreme.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘42 cog noise on sram x1 cassette’ is closed to new replies.