Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 40th birthday – weekend mtb needed, where should I go?
  • mekon
    Free Member

So, if you could go anywhere in the UK for a weekend away with a group of lads with mountain bikes where would you go?

avdave2

At 40 it has to be downhill.

mekon
    Free Member

avdave2 im not close to death yet 😉

jekkyl

F the UK! I’m planning on Ibiza for mine in little over a year. There’s only 2 times in a married man’s life when you can legally request a holiday away with the lads, stag do & 40th…….. But if you insist….. Keswick, Ft Bill or mid/north Wales, depends where you live and whether you want trail or natural riding.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would balance venue with distance from home, after a good weekend I’d not want a long drive home.

Arrive Friday night and try and keep drinking under control
    Big all day ride Saturday, something memorable and epic with chance to stop for a lunch on the trail / hill top – for me that means a natural ride
    Big night Saturday
    Sunday late breakfast and shorter ride

Alternatively

Private Group session with Jedi Saturday and ride Sunday somewhere not too far / on way home

oldnpastit

The Sierra Nevada would be a good spot to go. Not exactly in the UK but would be totally amazing.

Coed-y-Brenin always seems good though, especially if the weather is a bit iffy.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

We’re having a weekend away:

Sat – Snowdon
    Sun – Uplift at Antur Stiniog

mekon
    Free Member

Live in West Yorks so an hrs drive from Gisburn, Keswick not to far..did think of Dalby Oldnpasit…mmmm not to sure we could afford that. Grav slave..could do, got a mate not to far from Snowdon. Cheers for tips..keep em comimg.

hot_fiat

Bunkhouse
    Single malt
    Steak
    Snowdon
    Good intentions
    More whisky
    Sorted 😉

mekon
    Free Member

Hot_fiat that sounds good

Garry_Lager

Is a group of lads right for your 40th? Think it has to be somewhere solitary – you, your bike, and the bittersweet reflections of a life half-lived. Trudging onwards, as the black sheets of rain descend onto thin, bleak soil. What was once a straight and clear path has broken into a thousand pieces, never to be reformed. The way ahead is confused and disorientating – How can you find your way out of this terrible place?

At least this is what I’ve told the missus I’m doing later this year – planning Fort William to Dalwhinnie if work allows.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

The bike lodge at Innerleithan.

There was 6 of us and cost £35 each for two nights.

We Saturday drive up, then inners red. Booze up. Sunday Glentress red. More booze. Monday GT black.

Awesome weekend

user-removed
    Free Member

Garry Lager – I suggest Prozac 😮

Kinloch Rannoch – feels incredibly remote but isn’t really. There’s a house opposite the brilliant pub which sleeps 16 or thereabouts, lots of fantastic riding straight from the door, not much choice for food, but it’s all about the beer, no? And the pub has a pool table.

Loch Rannoch is two minutes walk and is ideal for campfires.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m off to Austria and Oktoberfest in a couple of weeks for my 40th.
    Alpenrider offer 1 day DH’ing in Kitzbuhel included in the cost (their bikes and gear) as well as Oktoberfest, transfers and canyoning on 4th day. http://www.alpenrider.com/content/358/oktoberfest_trips/oktoberfest_trips

mekon
    Free Member

Gary…why does that sound strangely appealing. Bigtimebones & user-removed thanks will look at those. Superfli..got to keep costs down for a couple of guys.

br
    Free Member

+1 GT and Innerleithen

kayak23

Coed Y Brenin.

Loads of trails of all levels, bike hire, Barmouth town and beach nearby, Cadair Idris nearby to walk/bike, plenty of accom.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘40th birthday – weekend mtb needed, where should I go?’ is closed to new replies.