Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 40th birthday watch
  • bruk

Rapidly approaching this landmark and my wife is looking to buy me something more than we normally spend (probably because she follows in 6 mths 😀 )

Ruled out bikes because always changing and upgrading bits. Same for technology bits etc.

Looking at about 1k for something that will be a classic. Like the Tag Heuer Monaco style ( but not the price)

Any suggestions.

Have thought secondhand but don’t know which shops to trust.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Omega Seamaster.

had mine about 8 years, it still looks great, classic style, not too blingy if you avoid the 007 versions.

trevron73
    Free Member

Hamilton below zero for me ,i do not know how to pics up?but nice understated watch!

whitegoodman
    Free Member

Breitling Navitimer
    Wanted one all my life, finally Mrs Goodman and the Goodman daughters brought me one for a similar milestone birthday.. The finest watch a chap can own.

lunge

At £1k you’re looking at lower end Tags like the Formula 1 or the odd Link model. Nice watches but (and I own one that I love dearly) not great watches for the money.

If I was buying at that price point again I would be looking at Hamilton and Tissot first as I think they offer the best value at that price point. Have a look at Creative Watches in Brum, detailed website and they always knock 10% off the price in store.

lunge

Oh and Whitehoodman if you can tell me where to get a Navimeter for the OP’s £1k budget I will buy one tomorrow.

bruk

Cheers guys. Would love a Breitling but as I mentioned the budget doesn’t extend that far.

Tissot and Hamilton both look pretty nice.

Any recommendations for pre owned shops etc?

lunge

The challenge you will have at £1k is that most pre owned watch dealers work with Rolex’s and other such high end fun. High end watches hold their value really well, a 1980’s Rolex will still fetch £4k without too much difficult.

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Stowa Flieger TO1 Testaf.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Bell & Ross WW1 series

howarthp

For pre-owned check out http://www.chronomaster.co.uk. They do new and old. Check out some of the German made watches like Sinn. A little bit different from the well known Swiss brands and much cheaper

bruk

Mmm, seems to be a bit like biking to an outsider. Look at cheapo halfords suspension bikes at £100 then think that £1k will get you a nice top quality one.

The search continues

Mintman
    Free Member

Oris do some lovely looking watches, how about the TT1 Day Date?

tyger
    Free Member

Why not get a watch that was made in your birth year – that’s what I did for my 50th, got myself a lovely gold Omega 🙂

finishthat
    Free Member

Look at Steinhart for quality/price

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sinn, Omega, Oris, really there are loads. Omega – bang for the buck they are probably the best and age well.

CountZero

You could do a lot worse than one of these:
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=150832202137
    A Seiko ‘Baby Tuna’, a really well made, tough watch with no fancy useless dials n’stuff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And Tags are overpriced…

Look at the Sinns – I like this one at that price(ish):

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/sinn/watches/sinn-flieger-356-chronograph-glass-back/356/

If you get a manual watch bear in mind that you might have to stump up a few hundred every five years to get it serviced, although Sinn do have a lubricant free design as well.

derek_starship
    Free Member

How about the too often overlooked Longines brand?

Their Heritage Diver is gorgeous.

A bit over budget at £1300ish

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Treat it like an investment. My Omega is worth more now than what I paid for it 8 years ago.

Not that I’d sell it

manton69

How about a Christopher Ward watch like the C90 Power Reserve?

C90

I have a classic Trident, but would like another one. 🙂

bruk

I do like the look of that Longines. Deffo worth investigating more. Thanks

Konastoner
    Free Member

This was my 40th present, I love it to bits.

Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 16 day-date Chronograph

Wharfedale
    Free Member

If you go for a Tag there are some pretty good offers here – http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/c/Watches/TAG-Heuer-Special-Purchase-Watches/filter/Page_1/Recipient_Mens-Watches/Show_Page/Sort_price+asc/

1k gets you an Aquaracer on your wrist.

messiah
    Free Member

Tag Carrera? I like this as the 40mmm face is quite dinky and classic compared with some of the modern BIG watch faces (like the new Carerra).

Ebay Linky

I have a white faced one of these that was my engagement 12+ years ago and I still love it. Paid then what its worth now which is refreshing.

Be aware that watches like this need periodic expensive maintenance… first service last year was £350!!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

same movement in that carrera as in an omega speedy (or was).

And don’t buy from goldsmiths…

messiah
    Free Member

*loses hour of life looking at Tag Carrera watches on ebay* 😳

deepreddave
    Free Member

OP – thewatchforum is very good especially if you’ve been on for a while and stick to the trusted people. Need 50 posts to see the sales section but that’s not too hard as long as you don’t obviously speed post. Email me if you see anything you want as happy to put you in touch with the buyer through my log in so you can then deal direct.

As for watches, if you’re not that interested then I’d suggest quartz, no big service bills, cheaper, super accurate and ready to go whenever. I’d look at Longines, RLT, Hamilton, Glycine and would defo consider 2nd hand, lots are c50% of value. Too many omegas for me to fancy one.

Harris
    Free Member

Ian Blowers

go nuts!

rj
    Free Member

I got one of these for a birthday a couple of years back:

http://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/brands/oris-watches/diver-s/diver-s-date

Really nice watch and within your budget.

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

You need to buy new! The little dinks and scrapes are your history and makes the watch yours imo! Like i said “STOWA TO1 TESTAF” In your price range and a defo possible classic on your hands.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Sinn is a really nice brand. A bit less common than Omega etc

I picked one of these up recently:

Stowa and Steinhart are also worth looking at.

Bregante

I really wish I hadn’t clicked the link to that Christopher Ward C90

*want

benz
    Free Member

Suggest you visit Timefactors website….

Won’t get better watches for the money.

postierich
    Free Member

Omega Seamaster owner here for 7 yrs on its 3rd strap and £170 to service every 2/3yrs ,was an expensive 40th for me and I did not buy the watch avoid IMHO would post a pic but its getting fixed again!

tonyd

I’ve a Seamaster same as coolhandlukes, great watch. I’ve had it for 7 or 8 years after finding it in the mud on a night ride. Serviced once, still looks like new.

Jerome
    Free Member

i hav a small collection of vintage wtches . £1k will get you a lovely watch, and is a great pressie. Have a really good look around and decide what you like. Sports vs dress watch, New or vintage etc . If you are near london go to burlington arcade and have a looksie at the vintage stuff, and surrounding shops for new stuff. Decide what you fancy, and then go looking. If it was me i would get a 2nd hand vintage speedmaster. You should be able to get one for just over £1k from the bay, but you need someone to help you source it. I sold a 1972 speedy for £1k about a year ago to a mate. Have a think and e mail me if you have any specific questions ?? If you like new watches – look at Nomos, very well regarded and classic styling..

joepose
    Free Member

Some nice Raymond Weil watches about for the £1k region might be worth a look?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘40th birthday watch’ is closed to new replies.