Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 40T outer for XT
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I've been looking to slightly customise my XT chainset with new rings, but from what I can see replacements only seem to come in the same sizes as the originals.
    What are they 22,32 and 44? I find the middle too small and the outer a bit to big for xc.

Dibbs
    Free Member

outer a bit to big for xc.

You're riding too slow then 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

There are no Shimano rings for that chainset in a 40T but you may be able to buy an aftermarket alternative.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dobo
    Free Member

i use TA chinook 28t inner and 40t middle with no outer on my xt chainset for the exact reason of never using the really high or low gears off road.

you need to measure for clearance though

keavo
    Free Member

i put a ta chinook 40t (middle) on my xt in the outer position. two things… 1) it doesn't fit the spider (not sure spider is the correct name)perfectly, its loose but i don't think it will matter when the bolts are tight. 2) the front mech can't be ran low down (as in near the edge of the 40t ring) because it hits the 32.
    it works though, and is a better than a 44t on a 29er.

Macavity
    Free Member

highpath

njee20
    Free Member

I run exactly the same combo as Dobo, works really well. The 40t Chinook is technically a middle ring, so it has ramps etc, but it works perfectly, I've never dropped the chain or anything.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘40T outer for XT’ is closed to new replies.