• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mrht.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 40T cassette extender with a 9 speed XTR 11-34 Cassette
  • nixon
    Free Member

I run a 1×9 setup and have no wish to go 1×10 due to the cost and 2×9 due to the weight, but wouldn’t mind a bit of extra range. I was thinking of using one of the 40 tooth 10 speed extender cogs with a small spacer and take out the 15 tooth sprocket, so I’d end up with a 11-13-17-20-23-26-30-34-40 range. Do people reckon this will work or will it be so clunky as to not be worth it?

br
    Free Member

Since they run 42t on 36t cassettes the range shouldn’t be a problem, but no idea if there is anything else that may ‘interfere.

FWIW To get my 1×10 working I needed a longer B screw.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Will a 9 speed chain run ok on the 10 spd cog? And what’s a man with an XTR cassette worried about cost for? 😉

ThePinkster

I’ve run a full 2×10 setup with a 9 speed chain before now and it’s run OK (not brilliant but OK) so I can’t see it being a problem.

The only issue I can see other than needing a longer b screw is that the spacing may be very slightly out on the extender as 10 speed sprockets are slightly closer together than 9.

james
    Free Member

The jump from 13 to 17t could get annoying, depends how much you use that end of the block. 34 to 40t wouldn’t bother me at all. jump from 34 to 40 is about the same as 26 to 30 anyway

juan
    Free Member

Not sure it will work as both the 40 and the 17 teeth will be made for 10 speed, so not the same width as the 9.
    FWIW, tiagra road shifter for flat bars work with 9 speed MTB rear mechs

nixon
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses and info peoples, looks like it’s worth a shot, I’ll check out getting a longer b-screw in case that’s an issue, hadn’t though of that. From the sounds of it the 13-17 jump will be the biggest problem with this, to be fair I have a 36t chainring up front so tend to run more middle of the block. If all goes to pot and it’s just untenable then it’ll be to the classifieds with it 😉

Good point can’t say much against that 😀 The ti cogs are just so pretty as they wear faster than steel ones 😉

@alandavidpetrie79: I’m good cheers got loads already.

nixon
    Free Member

Cheers for the linky it’s that thread which got me thinking about this, if I’m having problems I’ll look at getting one of those.

Andy

Interested to see if this will work 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m looking at extenders and noticed that Relic do a 16t sprocket with theirs to smooth the gap (removing 15 and 17).

nixon
    Free Member

@Andy: I’ve just ordered the sprocket from overseas which should be here in a couple of weeks, might take me a little while to get it all sorted but I’ll post back here when it is!

As for getting a 16t sprocket, while that would be great I’ve just been playing about with the cassette and I’m going to have to switch to taking out the 13t sprocket due to the way it’s assembled, so it’s actually going to be 11-15-17-20-23-26-30-34-40. Cheers though for the heads-up.

steve_b77
    Free Member

So do one-up, but wether or not it’ll work with a 9spd cassette is another matter entirely.

ThePinkster

That 11 to 15 is going to be a big jump, not sure I’d be happy with that big a gap at that end of the cassette.

timblake7

I’m thinking about doing this…Nixon, did it work?

phy7tes
    Free Member

Also very interested in this, does the extender need a spacer? Is the jump at the top end of the range annoying?

honourablegeorge

My mate runs an expander on his 9 speed, works fine*

*Fine for him, he really doesn’t give a shit about smoothness and the like, he just goes fast.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not sure how the OP got on but in case he doesn’t come back; some 40T extender rings won’t fit a 34T top gear. They have little support ramps that interfere. The Superstar has these and won’t work, needs to be a 36T at the lowest gear to jump to a 40T.

mrht
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a t-rex 40t expander to my sram 9 speed block on a shimano hub 34-11. I had to modify the ring slightly to reduce the support lumps that fit a 36t top ring to fit the 34t ring. This seems to have worked the spacing seems ok and shifting seems ok. I left the 11 in at the bottom and removed the next ring up my thoughts are I spend little time down this end of the block anyway so should be fine. I’m also running 2 up front. I will post on here after some testing rides.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘40T cassette extender with a 9 speed XTR 11-34 Cassette’ is closed to new replies.