Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 406 – Not Acceptable error.
  • PJay
    Free Member

I manage a small charity website with discussions boards. One of our users, who has been accessing the site regularly has suddenly begun receiving 406, Not Acceptable errors, the full error being
    Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /board/index.php could not be found on this server.

Other people, including myself (and I’m with the same ISP) appear to be seeing the site without problems and I was wondering whether there’s anything I might suggest they try, or that perhaps I could do server side.

uplink
    Free Member

Is it a MS Frontpage site?

PJay
    Free Member

No, it’s written in Dreamweaver and hosted on an Apache server, so should be Frontpage free.

I remembered having a similar problem myself a while back which was solved by restarting our router (I’ve no idea why it worked though) so have suggested that they try this to start with.

Cougar

Try a different browser?

406 is an odd one. It basically means the browser doesn’t understand the data returned to it. This almost never happens with a modern browser; I’d hazard that either they’re using something arcane like IE3, or an unusual platform (brower on a phone maybe). Either than or something is interfering with the data stream in transit; router problem (reboot it), malware (run a malwarebytes scan) or “internet security” software being over-zealous.

Cougar

A google gave this,

HTTP 406 Error

Issue with mod_security on apache.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘406 – Not Acceptable error.’ is closed to new replies.