Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • £400 to spend
  • matt_outandabout

On a bike for a mate.

He is 6', new to mtb'ing so usual 'do it all XC' would be good. In central Scotland. I suspect a 'big name' HT with disc's is ideal.

So what suggestions of sale bargains or second hand offers…full bike
    *edit*

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sorry is this £400 for something to put on the bike or for the whole bike?

If it's the former how about one of those super duper Acros headsets. They're about £400.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Raise budget, buy this Merlin 😉

My brother got one last year- very pleased.

Or some good deals on Giant bikes at Pauls Cycles..

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

THIS CANNONDALE is a very good price , although it doesn't have disc brakes.

da funk

tootin

paul cycles giant, Giant XTC's are the best value but if you want to go bouncy you can go for the Yukon FX

chakaping
    Free Member

They only have these left in a 16" now, but spectacular value and was very well reviewed by WMB or MBUK…

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=10831&f_SupersetQRY=Krevolution%20triad&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=

chakaping
    Free Member

If he's not a 16" size, buy one anyway and swap the bits to another frame for him maybe?

matt_outandabout

Whole bike for £400 please…!
    The Pauls cycles ones are good – but sizes are limited….

chakaping
    Free Member

Edinburgh have the next model up in 20" for £500, also very good value.

I've been looking for a friend as well.

matt_outandabout

cheers peeps – also found a commencal @ keswick bikes. Anyone know what the forks are like?
    http://www.keswickbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Commencal_Normal_Disc.html#a402

inbred

Pop into/phone the hub in the forest at Glentress they often sell of demo bikes at good prices

speaker2animals

It really is a shame that rigid forks are too uncool to be put on big brand budget HTs would make for much better bikes for adults anyway who want to give MTBing a serious go. I rented a high budget Marin in Ambleside about 3 years ago. The rest of the bike was excellent but the forks were shocking (!). The biggest problem was that it wasn't even consistent. At times it would dive through it's travel and at others seemed to be virtually rigid. At least with a rigid fork you know what to expect. And it does teach good trail technique.

tthew

IIRC, the forks are a popular choice around that price range, and are kind of lower quality OK. Probably fine for starters, then the rest of the bike would be worth upgrading. Might want to find out if that bike will take a slightly longer fork for upgrade time.

dano
    Free Member

buy 2nd hnd and you would get more for your money, maybe post in the classfied field wtd bike for £400… otherwise…spend £500 on a malt1

br
    Free Member

I second the ex-demo's at Glentress, a chap I rode with over Xmas had one – did the job.

matt_outandabout

maybe post in the classfied field wtd bike for £400

Already done….

Northwind

If it's got to be new, check out a carrera kraken, pretty nice for the money, basic fork obviously- I'm just rebuilding my old one with a rigid fork. Nice handling, decent overall kit for the price.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘£400 to spend’ is closed to new replies.