Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • £400 road bike for mates lad. New or used?
  • jkomo

I’ve been tasked with finding a bike for a good mates son.
    As I’ll probably end up servicing it, should I go new Decathlon/ Halfords, or wait for a bargain?
    Anyone spotted any mega deals. Small/ medium I guess.
    Missed a corker off here a week or so ago, and I think he’s getting restless.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Used. There was a very nice Cxer on here a few weeks ago for £500. I’d also suggest stw isn’t the place to buy a used road bike, ebay / craigslist (?) for a road bike boght and hardly ridden and needs to go to raise Christmas funds.

No idea if this is any good ,,, linky

jkomo

Cheers J. That is s mega deal. Too small though. Never used Craig’s list, I’ll have a rummage.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No idea if this is any good ,,,

bite their hands off!

paulwf

The craigslist bike is either a typo or a scam

ctk
    Free Member

Go used, check ebay locally. Merida tend to go cheaper than other big brands and are good quality. I got a 105 equipped Merida in genuinely as new cond for £300 off ebay!

TiRed

Used. £400 will buy you a decent alloy road bike with Ultegra, possibly 10 speed 6700. Look for a Giant TCR or Defy. I bought an laquered alloy TCR that was barley ridden with 6600 Ultgra 10 speed for £400. It was a fantastic bike.

Ebay is not so bad for road bikes about five years old.

cheers_drive

Just got a Kinesis T2 off here for £240 with 11sp 105, no wheels, and some wheels for £30 from a club mate. Used is the way to go.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Exact position a month back , enquired about Ribble Grand Fondo on here, son was adamant he wanted new from Decathlon, literally stood at checkout , I said give us half an hour to go and meet someone off the forum and have a look at a full carbon bike, no I want this, please, ok then , saw the bike it was mint and he wanted it straight away and under £400.Happy days, so i would say hold out for a quality second hand one, good luck.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

I always think people over value what they think their used bikes are worth. So I’d always go new, that way you avoid worn chains/cassettes and gears that just aren’t quite right.

Even the lowest Shimano or Microshift gears are pretty good. Have a look at Decathlon or also something like this Boardman Road Sport

mtbtomo
    Free Member

That Marin looks good in an understated way. Wouldn’t have been worth £999RRP but definitely worth £400!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘£400 road bike for mates lad. New or used?’ is closed to new replies.