Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • £400 laptop -recommendations please
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

As above really. Not for gaming just home office and surfing.

Ta.

hunta

I’m having similar thoughts… Then I had a spanner in the works when I considered the Asus Transformer, a tablet (party at the front) which docks into a full laptop keyboard (business at the back). Sounds ideal, but like the mullet may be totally awful in reality. For general surfing though it’s ideal as it’s instant on. I’m comfortable with Android and don’t have any real requirements beyond MS office doc editing, for which there are plenty of options, so worth considering. Think Currys do them, so might be worth popping down to take a squizz.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have a look at the Dell Outlet (look for the link)

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My dad just bought a nice Toshiba in the sale at pc world. Apparently £250 off, down to £350 I think. Not sure I believe the original price but still seems a decent deal.
    Otherwise, Dell Outlet as above.

superdale
    Free Member

Dont buy a Packard Bell – nice design & clear screen but they put the on/off switch in the lid hinge and constant opening/closing eventually breaks the wires in our case just outside the warranty period. You can get it resoldered but it is a design fault. In contrast my Acer is nearly 5 years old and still going strong.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I got an Acer Aspire last year – £400 then, same spec probably £300 now – been fine.

danjthomas
    Free Member

NOT DELL!!. made of taiwan factory seconds!!

allthegear
    Free Member

Not Dell – just read this..

DRESSCODE- BLUE TIE AND MALE

Rachel

higgo
    Free Member

NOT DELL!!. made of taiwan factory seconds!!

Can you back that statement up with any facts?

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I got my acer aspire 5742 with intel i5-480m processor, 640gb hard drive and 4gb of RAM for £400. It would suit you I think as the integrated graphics doesn’t manage some games but is good for most things. My only criticism is that the battery life could be better. oh also it has a full keyboard (with number pad)
    EDIT: looks like prices aren’t amazing at the moment. I wouldn’t buy a refurbished one or anything full price. also I would agree with not dell. they are no good these days I’ve heard. unreliable

Royston
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Toshiba ‘Satellite’ i7-CPU, 640gb hard drive and 8gb of RAM, Independent graphics card – $1,000NZ, so 500 quid. (Just Googled) UK prices seem to be a bit more.

kimbers

my packardbells been awesome = only a year old but so no on/off switch lid faults yet? the button isnt on the lid on ours?

anyway, the mousepad things a bit mediocre but everything else is brilliant, google vouchercodes for pcworld/currys -we got 15% off,
    went for high spec but low ram and upgraded the ram ourselves (with crucials help) much cheaper-
    mostly use mine for browsingbut ocassionaly use stellarium or games where its useful

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a really nice Dell Inspiron (I3 Nvidia 1gb Graphics, 500gb Drive, 6gb RAM 17″ Screen) Brand New from dell outlet (Cancelled order) £300 of RRP working very well.

Most work Dells I have had are bullit proof

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

look at http://www.europc.co.uk for an effective dell outlet.

Dell outlet used to be pretty good but they now sell outlet stock to people like europc and others that sell on ebay.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I opted for an Acer Aspire 5733. Got it from Tesco Direct. 8gb ram 750gb hd and an intel i3 processor. £440. Good spec for the money.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘£400 laptop -recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.