Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • £400 for a 24" wheel islabike?? Yikes!!!
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Really???? I don’t remember them always being that much?

The comparable Frog is £275. We’ve always had islabikes but the last 20″ wheel bike we bought was a Frog and its almost as good a bike but a lot cheaper.

The Frogs come with mudguards and two sets of tyres.

So it looks like we’ll be going for another Frog and saving £125!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have you factored in resale values – how much did you lose on the Frog when you sold it – Isla bikes are suppossed to hold their value well.

mt
    Free Member

you’ll resell for £300 easy if it still looks nice(ish) and those you sell it to will get almost all their money back. That makes it a bargain. Especially as the bikes are so well built and set up your kids will be able to ride it safely and get into cycling. On second thoughts buy some cheap bike, it’ll ensure you are not buying further bikes till the kiddy can afford there own.

TiRed

Other 24″ bikes are available. Bough a lovely Giant off here and after a shifter swap have a very happy niece. I paid what you will save.

All bikes from mainstream makers are now very good.

And I still remember Isla’s first tag along product. That was a step up.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am seriously impressed with my youngest lad’s Pinnacle (ok it’s 16″) It is so light and well put together. When he needs a new bike, I will definitely be looking at them again.

MoreCashThanDash

We got a Frog – impulse buy after youngest tried ont at Kirroughtree last year. She loves it.

Prior to that, both of them had second hand Trek/Spesh/Carrera whatever. The Frog is noticeably lighter. She isn’t worried by the rigid fork. Resale shouldn’t be an issue, not sure why you’d pay so much more for an Islabike.

But there are a lot of nice looking 24″ wheel bikes out there, these days, depends on the riding you do and the depth of your pockets.

jp-t853

We had the same dilema and moved fron Isla to a Frog 62. You will not regret it the Frog is every bit as good and resales on ebay are strong

iain1775
    Free Member

Everyone keeps harping on about Isla resale values as a reason to dismiss Frog but Frog bikes are IMO equally as good so as soon as they build up a similar reputation, which isn’t taking long on current evidence, their resale values will likely be on a par with Islabikes
    I bought a 16″ Frog for my daughter over an Isla, I’ve not regretted it it’s a great little bike

mtbfix

From my experience of smaller Islas they are better than the competition in terms of smaller components and lighter weight. However I am minded to suggest that a £4K mtb is not going to be demonstrably better than a £2.8k bike.

LeeW

Personally I think that Isla bikes tend to be aesthetically directed at the parents, where the competition are more directed to the riders. My partner’s daughter was given a choice of a Frog or an Isla bike. She wanted the princess bike she’d seen in the window of Halfords. In the end she settled for the Frog.

Harry_the_Spider

I think a lot of their appeal is based on how smug the parents want to feel as they lift them out of the boot of the Q7. Good luck to them if they can sell them.

Other excellent bikes are available for less. My kids started on Islas but are now on Ridgebacks and Carerras. When the time comes to sell them on we won’t lose any money.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The reason for the Frog or the Isla is because they have relatively low stand over height for the size of wheel. Buying another 20″ wheeled bike seems a bit pointless when bigger wheels will fit. Looks like most other brands with 24″ wheels are for older kids than 8 year olds?

Anyway, so far as resale value, I’ve got £125 head start with the Frog. And previous islabikes I’ve sold have probably only made about half their new price partly because of the scrapes and scratches they get and also when you factor in ebay and paypal fees of near 15% in total.

It’s my other son who’s on the 20″ Frog, not selling that for a while yet!

jp-t853

If you spend £280 at Wheelbase they are doing six months 0% you can add a lock or something to get over the minimum value.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Cube have some nice 24″ models (I have one).

TomB

The big thing for me was my lad was riding the 24″ Isla at age 6.5. Most companies aim their 24″ wheel frame sizes at 8-9 year olds.

Stainypants

Carrera Abyss 24 inch looks good I reckon you could get one for £150 if you get your discounts sorted. My son won’t ride his Isla bike after a crash. He’s
    miles more confident on his 2nd hand £50 Careers Blast. However he rode 25 miles without stopping just after his 5th birthday on his Isla bike he woundnt have done that on his Blast.

mechanicaldope

I should be getting a secondhand 20″ islabike tomorrow for my 5 year old. Was really tempted by the frog 52 but the minimum standover height was much bigger than the (small) bienn 20.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Bought a Frog 62 to replace a 20″ Isla in the past couple of weeks. Componentry is easily as good and child-friendly, paint finish actually better (powder coat vs lacquered alloy and stickers).

Our bikes have to go through our 3 boys, so haven’t sold even the balance bike yet. The resale pay-off is a long time in the future and I expect the bikes to aesthetically less than A1 by that time. Both Isla and Frog seems more than up for it mechanically, though….

nwill1
    Free Member

I certainly don’t drive a Q7, I don’t give a monkeys about what I pull out the boot…I just love the fact my daughter loves her bike, enjoys ridding it and finds it easy to ride.

I’ve found the Islabike to be great, after two years still like new, not a single issue and I’ll be surprised if it ends up costing me £25 for the privilege as the new price has gone up £50.

She saw Isla & frog she like the Pink of the Isla, I think the none metallic on the frog was the deal breaker for her.

takisawa2

Frog 24 is a superb little machine. As light as an Isla & just as good.
    Isla might have the edge for smaller sizes but I’d happily get my lad a Frog.
    Had a close look at a friends lads Frog & it’s a really well specced machine.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I think Isla must be struggling with economies of scale. When I last compared Frog to Isla (for my sisters kids) Frog came out much better. I guess as they are selling in loads of bike shops they are buying parts in bigger volume. They were trading on proper sized parts for small hands and legs. But now the same parts can be bought off ebay for half the price.

Isla look overpriced and dated now. I’d go with Frog, or another decent make. Just swap any bits you don’t like and sell them on.

My sister ignored all my advice and bought a Bobbins bike. it weighs a tonne and is basically pig iron in farrow & ball. But “it looks posh”….

sgn23
    Free Member

I’m having a similar dilemma with the Isla Creig 24. It’s £700. The Dawes Academy 24 MTB has caught my eye: nice frame, lighter, trigger not grip shift, some better components, but I just know that the Isla is going to have a better resale in 2.5 years when I come to sell, as despite the Dawes Academy being their ‘premium’ range the general public will just see it as one step up from a BSO.

natrix
    Free Member

Bought my first Islabike for £90 off the bay, son ragged it mercilessly in the local woods for a couple of years, daughter then rode it until she too outgrew it. Just sold it for £120. 😀

You don’t need a degree in economics to see that they make sense, certainly with the smaller sized bikes.

letmetalktomark

You mean I need a Q7 now to go with our Isla Bikes? …. Sheesh this is gonna be a hard sell to Mrs LMTTM as she loves our Cayenne Turbo S.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My little lad is on his 3rd Frog, he had a tadpole (scoot bike) to begin with, then a Frog 43 Team Sky and now has a Frog 48. Personally I think they’re great, well built, good components, great paint finish and boy proof.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Commencal do some great kids bikes. Everything from balance bikes and hardtail X through to 20 and 24″ full sunsets. And they also hold their value as not too many about.

ocrider

Yeah but the weights are incomparable.
    Have you picked up a Ramones 16?

anagallis_arvensis

However he rode 25 miles without stopping just after his 5th birthday on his Isla bike

Really

Stainypants

Argles-Gazost to Lourdes and back. Then on to the end of the path and back to Argles he then cycled around the campsite for a few hours. We stopped for 10 minutes in Lourdes and 10 minutes to take some photos at the end of the trail. I should have said without struggling

photos

TiRed

Weight is not that important. A decent alloy bike with alloy wheels, good adjustable brakes, a few easily changed gears and a comfortable saddle are what really counts. That and COLOUR!!!

This sums it up so well:

She wanted the princess bike she’d seen in the window of Halfords. In the end she settled for the Frog.

Not enough “princess” means the bike won’t be loved 😉

g5604
    Free Member

My son is nearly 5 on 16in early rider, wondering to wait and jump to 24in or get a 20inch?

poah
    Free Member

spent £1500 on lewis’s ripcord then his uncle spent another £400 on a SID fork for him and recently got his a ks lev dx. you either spend the money to get a bike they can use or buy a heavy BSO. the 24 inch market is small so prices remain high.

TiRed

wondering to wait and jump to 24in or get a 20inch?

20″

Would you say the same for shoes 😉 A 4″ increase in children’s bikes is a good gradation 12-14-20-24 works very well.

MoreCashThanDash

12-16-20-24 works a lot better. Practically and mathematically. 😉

TiRed

doh typo sorry I meant 16″. I’ve seen kids grow out of 14″ bikes far to quickly Even with a LOT of Princess appeal and sparkly handlebar streamers – now that was a deal clincher for my niece 😀

ade9933
    Free Member

Have previously owned and well used Isla’s but we have the Hoy Bonaly 24’s which saved a few squids.

Very good bikes and fitted some F1 RST Air Suss forks for Alps / BPW type days… not essential for most types of rides.

dahedd
    Free Member

My Daughter got a Specialized Hotrock 24″ from her Grandad at Xmas & loves it. What was even better is that it was an exhire from the Bike Revolution guys in Lossiemouth. Only cost £150 max.

chestrockwell

Harry_the_Spider – Member

I think a lot of their appeal is based on how smug the parents want to feel as they lift them out of the boot of the Q7.

My kids started on Islas.

Did it fit in your Q7 😕

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘£400 for a 24" wheel islabike?? Yikes!!!’ is closed to new replies.