Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 40 tooth expander problem
  • teamslug
    Free Member

Having a problem with my 1 x 10 setup. All other gears are fine except 40 tooth expander. Putting anything more than moderate pressure causes it to slip.Chain is not jumping off but its a PITA. So far I’ve changed inner cable and put new shifter to mech full outer. Swapped Superstar 40 tooth with hope 40 tooth. Jumps on new chain and older ( but not that old) chain. Swapped mech hanger with my brand new spare, swapped rear mech with other bike, swapped shifter with other bike and moved a bottom bracket spacer from drive side to non to try and improve chainline a bit. So basically I have swapped out everything and it still happens. Set up is Ibis Mojo SL, Xt crank with on-one ringmaster 30 tooth, Xt shifter 10 speed, xt cassette with 16 tooth sprocket and either of above expanders. I dont think its the freehub slipping because it would happen in other gears?.Frame alignment is good…..any advice?. Thanks

scruff
    Free Member

maybe chainline too far over towards smaller sprockets?

stevied
    Free Member

B-tension screw adjusted properly?

br
    Free Member

Try letting all the air out of the rear shock and see how it reacts?

Also look at; longer b-screw, chainline and chain length.

teamslug
    Free Member

scruff. Ive swapped a spacer on BB to move front chainring further over that way…stevied. Tried it fully wound in and also adjusted to what I would think was ok. I’ve run 1 x 10 on 5 bikes before and its been fine and on this one til now. Other expander is on other bike and I’ve ridden that with no issues. So effed off I am considering going back to 2 x 10.

teamslug
    Free Member

b r whats your thinking behind letting air out of shock?.

poah
    Free Member

chain tension

stevied
    Free Member

Is it the standard b-tension screw? With some of the expander rings you need to use a slightly longer one to allow a little more adjustment.

teamslug
    Free Member

Its a longer B screw. I’ve wound it in to the point where the top jockey wheel is hardly engaged with the chain..I think there might be something in what poah says about chain tension…big to big plus 2 seems very tight so I’m running big to big plus 4 links.

br
    Free Member

b r whats your thinking behind letting air out of shock?.

To see whether there is a chain ‘growth’ issue?

Is it the standard b-tension screw? With some of the expander rings you need to use a slightly longer one to allow a little more adjustment.

This. Mine seemed ok with the standard screw but when I used a longer one it moved the jockey wheel off a lot more.

spacehopper

have you tried a different chainring?

that seems to be the only thing you haven’t swapped over..

you could also try it with a spare granny ring if you have one?

just for the moving the chainline to the inside by a factor of loads type trial..

My on-one ringmaster 30t only stopped grumbling in the lowest gear with 3.2mm chainring bolt spacers and a RAD cage..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘40 tooth expander problem’ is closed to new replies.