• This topic has 36 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 40 mile commute in an MX-5? (possible remap content)
  • alpin
    Free Member

the GF has a new job, yipee! however, she needs to get out into the sticks 4 days a week to start with, going to 3 days after a few months…. a 40 mile trip each way. possible 15,000 miles a year.

have been umming and arrring between something “sensible” like diesel Ibiza/Polo or an MX-5….

thinking being, her commute will be 3km through town (mostly flowing traffic) before a 15km run on open Autobahn, then 47km cross country jaunt through rural bavaria….

budget is around 3500€.

looked at a MK2 MX-5 today… nice little motor, needs some work on the sills, but otherwise in top nick with (plus new roof and a hardtop AND heated seats!). the guy was reluctant to sell (has been his baby for years) but was off to work for Tesla in the states.
    test drove it. with a hardtop it certaily doesn’t feel like you’re in a convertible (and is handy for winter). it seemed quite happy to just pootle long, but was “fun” over 4k revs… both the GF nd i were quite taken by it.

now i’m aware that with ~35mpg MX-5 fuel economy isn’t up there with a sensible diesel, but… do you want to sit in a bland box for nigh on 2.5 hours a day?

Any thoughts or experiences welcome….

————-

potential throwaway thought…

is it possible to remap a MX-5 for improved fuel efficieny?

vondally
    Free Member

I do 70 miles a day and have for the last 20 years, a road and motorway, various cars golf gti’s golf diesels polo diesels Lupo diesal was my last one before I got something larger.

The Lupo was re !apped and went like stink used little fuel and was a blast but the more bland car I have now is equally as fast bit more comfortable and no where as much fun….170 bhp diesel seat….. That can be a bonus on occasion but I preferred the Lupo.

Brother in law did 5 years in a MX 5 over a 80 mile round trip liked it be as soon as he got a golf TDI he the felt better, in his words cramped, low to the ground tiring to drive in winter, great on occasion in the summer.

Personally I would look at the polo diesel or variants and they can be remapped comfortably small warm/ hot hatch.

Good luck.

vondally
    Free Member

vondally
    Free Member

Edit double post…no idea why

oldnpastit

Mx5 is great, but there are a few downsides.

Look forcrust on the engine mounting rails. As well az sills, this is what can kill a mk2. Reach in behind the front wheel to get to it.

Ventilation is very poor with the roof up. So you can get quite a bit of condensation which an be annoying.

It is a lot of fun though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

IMO depends if you like driving. ie you enjoy the fact that a roundabout is an opportunity to see if the car will slide rather than a crash waiting to happen.

I used to do 15 miles each way in a Suzuki Cappucccino and loved it (better than getting in some dull box on wheels). I’ve also had an MX5 mk3 and again loved commuting and in that although it only did about 20-25mpg commuting.

I know some people who have had Mk2’s and done very long commutes in them, but again they get why they are in an MX5.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d agree with Funkydunc. My last job was a 20 mile commute in an MX5 and I loved it cos there were some brilliant little roads to chuck it around on. Current job is 25 miles through town and boring roads and it’s not the MX5 that makes me hate it, it’s the time in the car and the cost. Next job will be a 5 mile ride (yay) but I’m gonna keep the MX if I possibly can.

If an MX is gonna make the commute more fun then go for it. And remember good tyres (i like RainSport 3) are a godsend in crappy weather.

julians
    Free Member

I’d do that in the mx5, but then I enjoy driving a nice car rather than a dull diesel shopping trolley. You (or GF) may prefer it the other way round.

I used to do a 100 miles a day commute in a Honda S2000, it was a bit tiring compared to a more normal car, but I was willing to put up with it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I did a spell of commuting 2 – 2.5hrs a day in a Z4.

It was fine in summer and decent weather but it was tiring in poor weather. The route was nearly all single carriageway A roads and the headlight glare seemed to be worse as you were much close to the ground than a “normal” car.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I do a lot of long drives in my MX5, doesn’t bother me.
    I’m used to motorbikes though, so seems very comfortable!

Mine has heated leather seats which are nice and I put in new speakers and a bluetooth stereo

zigzag69
    Free Member

How often will she actually drop the top? I think people like the idea of a convertible, but then never actually use the bloody thing.

I bought my Mk3 MX-5 with 15k on the clock 8 years ago. It’s now got 125k. My commute is 75 miles round-trip, I do it 3 or 4 times a week. When I used to check MPG, I was averaging 38.

Can’t beat top-down in the summer, great way to start the day. And when you get those nice crisp winter days, the heater is good enough to keep you warm. Plus you’ve got the bonus of the hardtop for the winter instead. They are interesting in the snow though (disclaimer – never fitted winter tyres).

Try it for a year. If she doesn’t like it, get rid. Everyone should own a convertible at least once in their life.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I almost always have the roof down. Comes from having ridden motorbikes and bicycles a lot – like to be in the open, have spatial awareness.
    Does necessitate keeping scarf, hat and gloves in the glove box though.

^ is a good point.
    Buy it, try it, if you don’t like it, sell it and get something else. As long as you don’t pay over the odds in the first place, you’ll not lose much or break even.

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s quite simple, do you want to spend more money than necessary on fuel whilst giving the appearance of a hair dresser late for his next appointment – in the name of a ‘good drive’?

Or do you want to save a few pennies and look less coiffeur, more ‘rat race man’?

If the former then buy the MX5

alpin
    Free Member

^^ it’s not for me… smart arse 😉

fortunately the GF has four mechanics at her work place… hopefully she’ll get one of them to view a few more examples next week.

we are thinking of moving out to the sticks to be closer to the Alps and leave the “rat race” which would shorten her commute somewhat. it’s not as if i’m really partaking in the rat race anyways…. more an observant. not as if we are really making the most of city life or are tied here for work.

if she doesn’t get on with the MX-5 we can always sell it in a year.

woffle
    Free Member

MX-5’s are (if looked after) appreciating now – at least good Mk1 and rot-free Mk2s. They’re mechanically easy to work on and parts are cheap as chips.

I did 6 months of 70 odd miles a day in my Mk1. A hard-top makes a massive difference in the winter months.

I’ve just sold it. Had it for two years and it didn’t cost me a penny except for fuel, MOT and annual service (at about £50 as I supplied the bits) and then insurance at <£120. The fuel was a bit higher as I’d fitted twin carbs.

If I had need for a 2nd car I’d just buy another.

CountZero

It’s quite simple, do you want to spend more money than necessary on fuel whilst giving the appearance of a hair dresser late for his next appointment – in the name of a ‘good drive’?

🙄 Deary, deary me.

globalti
    Free Member

For 80 miles a day I’d be wanting something with comfortable seats, auto box and a decent radio.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’ll certainly manage it but commuting 40 miles each way in Germany (is that right?) in winter could eat a Mk2 for breakfast- they are rust prone, while the Mk1 is not particularly. However the Mk1 is a much more basic place to be and she may not want to be in it for that long.

There are many upsides to an old 5 but I would consider going for a Mk3 which will be more comfortable and able to stand the grit and wet better. Not quite as much fun to drive but I think unless you’re a true STW Driving God™ you’ll still have a good time.

As soon as we can reasonably afford a third cat we’ll be getting another.

Have you considered a hot hatch? That is the compromise we made when we needed more space. You could get a previous generation Fiesta ST for about that which will provide most of the thrills. We got a Fabia VRS and it is 95% of the fun – it is faster, but I do miss being able to slide the back a little and really, really miss getting the roof down.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh, as for remaps, no idea but our friend has a Mk1 with a TVR V8. If you like shooting flames and lighting up the tyres EVERYWHERE then do that. You will also need to hate fuel.

alpin
    Free Member

Currently torn between finding a good example without any rust and picking up a cheaper, rust ridden example and then getting the rust fixed.
    GF is currently test driving one with 70k miles that has been garaged for the last ten years. Cost is just shy of 4K€, but with hardtop, sports suspension, new exhaust plus top condition softtop and next to no visible rust (perhaps thanks to the hardtop).

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

I did a year of communting 40miles each way across the north pennines from Burnley to north Leeds – bit of motorway, bit of main A roads, and B roads, and crawling through town traffic. Was great in the 5 – especially on sunny days.

Ok stuck in middle town in a traffic queue under a hot summers sun wasnt great, but flip the roof back up and zip down the rear window took seconds.

Kept the ‘5 for 8 years, running alongside our other car, as the wife and i have shared the commute for a number of years now, before it died with 180k on the clock (mk1, ’94 car – base model 1.8i no power steering or air con, wind up windows.)

As you found – the engine does need to be worked, it loves to rev all the way to the red line, flick of the gear lever and your back at 4250rpm bearly needs to dip the clutch. Does get a little bit noisy on the motorway cruise at about 3 to 3500rpm with the roof up, but roof down no probs.

Remember taking ours on a trip to see friends that lived near Le Mans – roof down through france all we could hear was the crickets in the grass as we flew down the autoroutes.

ourmaninthenorth

Brilliant cars, but as above the MK2.5 has a hidden rust problem: the front chassis rails. These rot from the inside out and – in the UK at least – can missed on MOTs due to their location.

More obvious rust happens on the rear sills.

Otherwise excellent and I always hanker after another.

alpin
    Free Member

bought….. 😀

3700€

sport suspension, sport exhaust, 109k KM, hardtop, top condition softtop, heater melts your shoe on full. tiny bit of rust on the left hand sill.

got the rear end out a little on the slip road to the Autobahn 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Good man!

Ignore the hairdresser comments, they’re made by people who aspire to drive the cars of phtocopier salesmen. 😛

Bin the hardtop and buy a decent hat and scarf.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Deary, deary me.

Ignore the hairdresser comments, they’re made by people who aspire to drive the cars of phtocopier salesmen.

What?! OP took it in good humour. C’mon, it’s well known that the MX5 is one step up the ladder from wide arch Vitara.
    I’m just pulling plonkers.

And I resent the photocopier salesmen comment. I’d much prefer to squeeze myself into a car designed around a typical Japanese mans frame. Alas, I am not Richard Hammond sized.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“tiny bit of rust on the left hand sill.”

thats the one tiny bit where its come through ……. they rot from the inside out- nip it in the bud NOW

slimjim78
    Free Member

incidently, anyone driven the latest MX5? They’re on the Mazda forecourt next to my office and I cant decide if I like them or not with those headlights yet

bombjack
    Free Member

FWIW I used to do a B road only 30 mile each way commute in my old 5 (MK 2.5 1.8s). Was awesome in the summer, not so much in the depths of winter. The economy was poor, the ride wasn’t much better, but it definitely put a smile on my face. My 5 rusted away due to the drainage plug in the sills clogging up and eating away at its innards.
    Do it, you wont regret it. Your back might tho following a big ride on a Saturday.

windydave13
    Free Member

As trail rat says, they can look ok from the outside and even when giving them a tap, but under the skin they can be proper rotten.
    My MK1 didn’t look too bar bar a bit of surface rust. This was what was below:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r4Woxd]MX5 Sill Repair[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

The other side was worse and seemed really solid from the outside!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I don’t understand how you can recommend someone spends their hard earned on a car that in your own words is uneconomical, uncomfortable, and literally eats itself. Mind you, plenty of Landrover fans on here too.
    It really must be a stellar drive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I don’t understand how you can recommend someone spends their hard earned on a car that in your own words is uneconomical, uncomfortable, and literally eats itself”

doesnt sound too dissimilar to a t4 either mind…..

the only thing wrong with the mx5 for STW is that it isnt an boretavia

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s only really one generation that eats itself, and there are plenty out there that have had to work done to solve the problem. Fuel economy for a little sports car is good (the same as our Fabia VRS- 30-40mpg), but not as good as a car with no sporting aspirations. I’d disagree that it’s uncomfortable.

Ultimately though they’re a lot of fun to drive and very cheap (ours was £1750), so a few flaws are forgivable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

standard MK2 rust ….

because crumple zone construction.

Not a repair i would take lightly – and a chassis half weld in on a landy didnt bother me – and hasnt broke apart even after rugging through a broken down discos clutch.

sadmadalan

I have a Mk3 MX5 and commute about 20 miles each way. Mixture of roads, but no motorways. If I get the chance the roof always comes down. I have the hard ‘soft top’ version – which makes the car better to drive when the weather is unpleasant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“I don’t understand how you can recommend someone spends their hard earned on a car that in your own words is uneconomical, uncomfortable, and literally eats itself”

Simply put, you’re only really spending an extra £10 per week in fuel on an 80 mile per day commute to drive a sports car over something more mundane. A more average 10 mile commute it’s a partly £2.50.

£2.50, that won’t even buy you a pint.

Now, if you don’t see the appeal of an open topped sports car then that’s £2.50 wasted. If you do see the appeal, then you’ll quite happily forgo that £2.50 lager shandy.

The downside is you actually end up spending even more money because someone will suggest a drive to the seaside for no good reason but for the sake of it, despite the fact it’s already gone mid-day and you’e 100 miles from the coast. Where you will then buy fish and chip, play in the arcade and eat an ice cream. Open top’d car ownership is full of unexpected costs!

slimjim78
    Free Member

you forgot to add the cost of welding (Mk2 ownership).

Despite obvious greivences, I like em. They offer something different for a reasonable price.

Never got to scratch the Mk1 MR2 itch for that matter. Nor Mk2 come to think of it.

alpin
    Free Member

Will get the sills looked at after winter but there appears to only be through in that one spot. Others we looked at had rust along the wheel arches, too.

GF is already taking about giving it the rat look as and when the body work needs doing.

Hopefully there’ll be no spontaneous trips to the seaside….. We’re at least a nine hour drive to the nearest coast. Spontaneous trips down to the alps early on a Friday morning cannot be ruled out…. 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘40 mile commute in an MX-5? (possible remap content)’ is closed to new replies.