Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 4 week old MTB – BB gone – should LBS replace?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Perhaps a dozen rides or so on a Specialized Fat Boy and BB toast

Is it fair to ask LBS to sort out?

creamegg
    Free Member

yes

weeksy

I’d certainly ask… but I wouldn’t be too upset if they said no.

Rorschach
    Free Member

A dozen rides immersed in water and jet washed? Or a dozen rides and cleaned responsibly 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes, its a warranty issue so they should be able to claim from the manufacturer/supplier.

Failing that I would put a decent component on, the BB on my Giant lasted less than a year but the Hope replacement is still going strong as it’s more easily maintained.

scotroutes

The opt-out would be that bearings aren’t covered by warranty but I doubt they’d pull that one (they’re not On One after all).

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good grief, no-one jet washes their bikes anymore do they?

I suppose thing is I wouldn’t want the BB replaced with the same as there now

tomaso
    Free Member

4 weeks is not a reasonable level of durability regardless of whether it was used once or twenty times – it just isn’t fit for purpose or of metchantable quality – both provisions of the Sale of Goods Act.

I would get quite annoyed if they didn’t honour their obligations and replace the BB.

scotroutes

I seriously doubt you’d get anything else.

IdleJon

More important than how many rides or how many weeks since purchase – how far has the bike been ridden since new?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Not more than 300 miles I wouldn’t have thought

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I’d ask to pay a bit towards a better one. Mates 105 road one failed 3 times. He asked for a Dura Ace replacement , paid a few quid. Year later all still sweet. His was a Spesh from a Spesh shop.

Rorschach
    Free Member

4 weeks is not a reasonable level of durability regardless of whether it was used once or twenty times – it just isn’t fit for purpose or of metchantable quality – both provisions of the Sale of Goods Act.

So if it’s done half a dozen river crossings and then left outside and the bearings have corroded and seized. Presumably that would still be warranty?

Yes, its a warranty issue so they should be able to claim from the manufacturer/supplier.

What if the supplier rejects the claim?

jimw
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me after 4 months with an Orange 5 with one of the original Race Face x-type BB which were known to be poor. Asked the shop to upgrade to Hope, paid a few pounds extra and it was still sweet when I sold it 4 years later
    Edit: should have said the the LBS agreed on replacement without a quibble, then took it up with Race Face/Orange as my contract was with the LBS

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ That sounds the absolutley fair and proper thing – not just replace – upgrade

cloudnine
    Free Member

When you say its toast.. is it just creaking or does it turn / wobble/ has play etc

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The opt-out would be that bearings aren’t covered by warranty but I doubt they’d pull that one

Having seen first hand how SBC deal with warranty claims, and bearings in particular, I’d be pleaseantly surprised if they didn’t say exactly that.

grey

I ruined a Deore one in six weeks with normal use, it actually seized up with rust. Current XT one has probably been in for a year with no problems.

bonesetter
    Free Member

It started creaking at the midle of the ride, and then quickly got worse

Super crackling BB now

stophe
    Free Member

Without seeing it I’d hope they would swap it out without any quibble. A good shop would offer the opportunity to upgrade and pay the difference too.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ this is what I’m hoping for, and is fair IMO

stophe
    Free Member

They’ll be out of pocket for the labour time but on such a new bike it is hardly going to take long. Hopefully they’ll have what you need to get you going again as soon as

Kahurangi

I had a BB on a roadie go after a few weeks and one wash.

They (Bike Shop Hexham, RIP) replaced with well less than a nanoseconds hesitation.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘4 week old MTB – BB gone – should LBS replace?’ is closed to new replies.