Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 4 Season sleeping bags
  • Mounty_73

I am currently using an Alpkit skyhigh 800 bag which is great for car camping, but too big/bulky for carrying….

Looking at other bags, not necessarily down, but researching and reading reviews which are coming up tops are for the MH Lamina 0.

Anyone use the Lamina 0? Or any other bags to look at around thesame budget?

scotroutes

This will be my 3rd winter with a Lamina 0. I got it off the STW classifieds after some good experiences with a lighter Lamina. Lovely bag. Very warm for its weight and bulk. More easily cared for than down and will put up with some dampness.

Thoroughly recommend

BadlyWiredDog

What’s your budget? And what do you mean by ‘four season’ in temperature terms? Apart from anything else, the Lamina 0 weighs 1690g which is actually more than the Skyehigh 800 at 1440g and I can’t imagine it packs significantly smaller, 46cm x 22cm according to MHW’s specs.

I’d be looking on eBay for something used, down and decent.

scruff9252

I’ve got one of the tesco down sleeping bags. Used it the past 3 scottish winters now. Regularly low single and sub zero figures. Absolutely astounding value, think i paid £40 and it packs down to a ball 6″ diameter.

Mounty_73

I’ve got one of the tesco down sleeping bags. Used it the past 3 scottish winters now. Regularly low single and sub zero figures. Absolutely astounding value, think i paid £40 and it packs down to a ball 6″ diameter.

Just looked online but they are out of stock. 🙁

BadlyWiredDog, yes I noticed that shortly after posting, I was looking at the dimensions on another site and it must have been mis-print.

Looking for something around 0 to -10c. I love my alpkit bag, but its too big/bulky to carry, just need something smaller…

boblo
    Free Member

Bit confused about what you actually want:

Do you want compact and lightweight?

Do you want true UK 4 season or -10c?

Do you want synthetic or down?

Do you want pukka kit or Tesco crap?

What’s your budget?

boblo
    Free Member

I suspect if the OP bemoans Tesco being out of stock he’ll have a heart attack if he looks at PHD… 🙂

Mounty_73

I want something for UK use only and its for work, but will probably use it for personal use too. For work, -10 being the lowest limit we can camp out in.

Looking for something compact and lightweight, not bothered if its down or synthetic, max budget up to £150

noltae
    Free Member

Your concerned about bulk and you want a four season synthetic bag – it’s not happening I’m afraid ..
    Your best off with an oversize 1 season synthetic bag to manage the damp and layering up inside – down clothing is best to compensate for bulk – Ultimately though one needs to bite the bullet and accept that damp UK winter conditions do require a fairly bulky sleep system if you want a comfortable night’s sleep ..

finbar
    Free Member

This thread is relevant to my interests. I have an Alpkit Pipedream but down doesn’t work well for me and the UK/Iceland camping I do, so I’m thinking about trading for synthetic. Sounds like the MH Lamina 20 might be a good bet.

boblo
    Free Member

To get to -10C, low bulk and low weight, you’re in the 750g down fill area. A decent quality one will be lighter and more compact than your Alpkit 800 but they are essentially in the same area temp wise.

You should be looking at Rab/Mountain Equipment down bags with ~750g fill or PHD if you’re feeling fruity. Their kit is fantastic but top end and made in the UK so price wise more than the equivalent Chinese/East European down filled/made bags. Whatever you decide, £150 will buy you a s/h bag, new is going to be well north of £200.

<edit> PHD do some really top end 900/1000 fill rate down bags which means you should be able to buy a lighter bag for similar temp performance. HOWEVER, they are very, very expensive. I have a 500g fill bag like this that was well over £400!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘4 Season sleeping bags’ is closed to new replies.