Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 4 Season sleeping bag suggestions….
  • Mounty_73

Looking for a new 4 season sleeping bag, I was waiting for the Alpkit bags, but it looks like its gonna be a while…

Any other suggestions?

A budget of around 150ish….

peterfile
    Free Member

What/where is your 4th season and how often do you intend to be in the temp zone?

Surrey Hills or Braemar?

Once a winter or every weekend?

Reason being, for that budget, if you’re not going for Alpkit then you’d probably be better with a good three season and then use a cheaper bag/layers in conjunction with the 3 season. Obviously that’s not practical if you’re using it a lot in winter

Any weight restrictions? Synthetic 4 season are much cheaper but will be around 2kg

scotroutes

I use a Mountain Hardware Lamina 0. You should be able to pick one up for around £125.

Mounty_73

It will be mostly used in/around Wales camping pretty much through out the year. I guess it doesn’t need to be 4 season.

My existing bag isn’t quite warm enough, I have good insulatation underneath, the other option for me is to buy a down jacket to sleep in with the existing bag…

peterfile
    Free Member

My existing bag isn’t quite warm enough, I have good insulatation underneath, the other option for me is to buy a down jacket to sleep in with the existing bag…

Stick the down jacket over the top of the bag, that works MUCH better (the down jacket won’t loft properly otherwise).

I’ve slept in 0 degrees in a +10 degree summer bag with my jacket draped over it and was pretty comfy.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

the other option for me is to buy a down jacket to sleep in with the existing bag…

It depends on your existing bag and the circumstances in which you use them, but this is probably what I’d do. Buy yourself a good quality down jacket for using around camp and sleeping in (pr of longjohns as well). I’d strongly recommend only a black coloured one.

all I use when winter backpacking and/or bivis in the Alps, is a 700gm lightweight bag (admittedly a very good one) and light duvet jacket.

chris36860
    Free Member

I know nothing about sleeping bags, but I use a website called Sportpursuit. Every morning you get a email with flash sales that last 10 days. Loads of biking / walking / skiing hard wear and clothing with upto 70% off. It’s all named gear and sleeping bag are on sale at the mo. some had £300 off RRP.

Cheezpleez

I’m in a similar situation. My plan is to get a Lamina 20 and supplement with good insulation underneath and a down jacket when it’s proper cold.

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re not desperate for a down jacket you could always buy a Rab Module and use it to boost the performance of your existing bag and as an ultra-lightweight warm weather option on its own.

Cheezpleez

Interesting. However, I already have a down jacket and I’m partly motivated by the fact that it’s dual-use – ie wearing round camp and extra warmth at night – to keep weight and pack size down.

Cheezpleez

I’m temped by the offer on women’s Lamina 20 on Sportpursuit. From the description it sounds like it will be big enough and apparently has extra insulation for torso and feet, which sounds ideal. I don’t mind cross dressing when it comes to bedclothes but does anyone know any reason why it won’t be any good (eg weird cut)?

Sorry for the hijack

BadlyWiredDog

PHD does a similar thing called the Filler, more expensive though at, I think, about £190. If you don’t have to carry the bag around, ie you’re car camping, just buy a cheap, fat synthetic bag, and use it as a throw-over. Pile liners work well too. And wear a hat 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

Cheezpleez unless your mahoosive you’ll be fine, I use a Womens Rab bag which I bought for my wife for a trip to the Himalayas. It’s the warmest bag of half a dozen I’ve got. You can do returns to SP too if it’s no good.

Be cautios if trying “top up” a bag, unless there’s lots of room in it the top up bag won’t loft so you’ll not get much benefit from it. I’ve got a rab AR Top bag too, similar to the module listed above. I wouldn’t get away with using if in conjuction with any of my other bags as there’s just not the slack to let it work. good base layers and a silk liner can do wonders

Cheezpleez

Great, thanks for the info. I use the down jacket trick with my existing cheapo bag and it’s pretty effective but I know it can be counterproductive. I’ll try it and see.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a bit of weight and synthetic insulation have a look at the Snugpak website. Their Softie bags are really highly regarded.

Ajungilak bags are also pretty good.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for the Mountain Hardwear Lamnia 0.

ElShalimo

Cheezpleez – Member

The women’s Lamina has more fill in different positions but more importantly it is a ladies cut so wider at the hips and shorter in length. see here
    My wife has one and loves it (I think I recommended it to scotroutes & a POE mat?) The regular womens bag is 5ft8 max but the long is 5ft10 max

More importantly the shorter length means less air to heat with your body warmth so you get warmer quicker

Cheezpleez

Hmmm … may be a bit short then. I’m 5 ft 9 and the offer on Sportpursuit seems to be for a regular length bag (although it seems to say it suits up to 6ft).

ElShalimo

The women’s regular is 5ft8 the mens is 6ft max user height
    Click on that link above and look at the size chart .

Sleeping Bags (Feet/Inches)
    Short/ Regular /Long
    Mens Fits To 5’6″ / Fits To 6’0″ / Fits To 6’6″
    Womens N/A / Fits To 5’8″ / Fits To 5’10”

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The other option or additional option to consider is adding a bivi bag. Both Alpkit and Rab (Gamma/Survival Zone) do good but cheap bivis which would have a few benefits, adds a few degrees of warmth to a bag when required, keeps your bag clean and dry, gives you a bit of kit with the option/flexibility of actually using it as intended (a bivi trip).

anonymouse
    Free Member

Another vote for Snugpak here. If you’re in the Yorkshire (Silsden) area they tend to have a factory sale at the start of December. I got a couple of cracking bags there for £50 a piece last year.

Mounty_73

Good suggestion, I have a alpkit bivi bag and I think I have a fleece liner for my bag somewhere, might be worth giving that a go.

Someone I know has told me about his snugpak bag, he cant rate it highly enough!

The lamina looks good too, as per usual….too much choice! 😉

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Mounty sent you an email.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘4 Season sleeping bag suggestions….’ is closed to new replies.