Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 4 Season Bike or Winter Bike plus Summer Bike?
  • bluedynamo
    Free Member

A while ago I decided to build a 4 season road bike that would take proper mudguards, bigger tyres (28-30mm), had flat mount discs and thru axles. I’ve been purchasing components over the last 6 months to complete the build. It’s mainly 105 level spec but with Ultegra ST-RS685 hydro shifters and Mason x Hunt 4 Season Wheels.

I was planning on installing the components on a Bowman Pilgrims Project X or Mason Definition2 whenever they are both released later this year. The build is coming out at around £2k when I sell on all the components that I don’t need i.e. the 105 hydro shifters that came with the groupset that I bought.

However, in the last few days I’ve noticed this at Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-tiagra-disc-2017-road-bike-blueblack/

It looks like a great value winter bike and features mudguards mounts, flat mount discs, and thru axles. The only “downsides” appears to be the 20-speed gearing, TRP Spyre Brakes and relatively heavy weight. I can get the bike for £580 with a Wiggle voucher code and cashback.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?

1) Buy the Verenti at Wiggle and install the 105 hydro shifters I was going to sell.

2) Buy a 105 chainset, chain, cassette and front and rear derailleur from CRC for £170 including BC discount and install on the Verenti. I might not need to even buy a front derailleur as the original Tiagra derailleur will probably be suitable?

3) Sell the TRP Spyre Brakes, Tiagra chainset, chain, cassette and front and rear derailleur. The value of all these components online is over £350. How much do you think I could get for these second hand but unused on the forums?

4) Keep all of the components I bought for the original build and aim to build a ‘summer’ bike next year when more framesets feature thru axles and flat mount discs. I guess there wouldn’t be a requirement for proper mudguard mounts if I had a dedicated winter bike?

Shred
    Free Member

I run a 4 season bike, a Volagi Liscio, carbon and DI2, with SKS full guards in winter. I’ve had it for a while now, and would do the same again when it comes time to replace the bike.

eulach

There doesn’t look to be much clearance for rear mudguards, be carefull if you want to mount wide or winter tyres.
    However winter and summer bikes would be luxury.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bluedynamo
    Free Member

Thanks – I agree about the clearance issue at the rear. The front doesn’t look great either!

There only appears to be a seat stay bridge mounting point at the rear. None of the photos show fork crown, fork leg or seat stay/rear axle mounting points. The front derailleur looks to be band-on rather than braze-on.

I’ve contacted Wiggle to clarify but it looks like their spec list is completely wrong :roll:.

beagle
    Free Member

Similar boat. I’ve been aquiring parts for 12 months and have been waiting for Mason to go flat mount. Almost tempted by some of the discounted Merckx in Merlin. Obviously not so four season but di2 hydro ultegra, carbon frame for £1700. A few other things nearly tempted me away from what I was waiting for. Ordered a Definition 2 a couple of weeks ago. Delivery expected early/mid November, possibly December. Can’t wait but I’m in no crazy rush as I’ve waited for ages. By the sounds of it, the definition 2 may be slightly racier to broaden the gap between it and the resolution (which I understand is going to be really hard to change to flat mount and through axle without losing the ride quality).

It’ll be my only drop handle barred bike and ideal for what I want it for.

bluedynamo
    Free Member

I didn’t know you could pre-order the Definition 2? Are there any links to it with pricing and geometry/sizing info?

beagle
    Free Member

Ordered up with Biketreks.

Emailed Mason themselves too. Understand it’s ready for preorder.

ransos
    Free Member

Buy the Mason. It’s a brilliant bike.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

And I thought this was going to be about Kinesis 4 season bike (4S)!
    Good clearance with mudgaurds, can run disc or rim brakes.

As you have to swap out all the drivetrain (10spd to 11spd) to get the hyd sti levers (or hope do a cable to hyd converter, or just buy Tiagra 10spd hyd sti levers)
    I would spend the money on a good frame.

bluedynamo
    Free Member

And I thought this was going to be about Kinesis 4 season bike (4S)!
    Good clearance with mudgaurds, can run disc or rim brakes.

As you have to swap out all the drivetrain (10spd to 11spd) to get the hyd sti levers (or hope do a cable to hyd converter, or just buy Tiagra 10spd hyd sti levers)
    I would spend the money on a good frame.

I would have bought the 4S Disc in 2015 when Kinesis released it but they decided to go with QR rather than thru axles. I want to futureproof the purchase to some extent. The pace of innovation with Road Bikes isn’t quite the same as with Mountain Bikes.

I already have 105 hydros lying around so no need to purchase Tiagra hydro sti levers.

bluedynamo
    Free Member

So it turns out that the Verenti linked above didn’t feature mudguards after all if anyone else was considering it as a winter bike.

damascus
    Free Member

Doesn’t feature mudguards or doesn’t have the option to fit mudguards?

After your post, my friend ordered one. With the £25 discount and cash back it came in around £580.

Information says it takes mudguards and the question and answer says it does too.

It should arrive this week. I’ll let you know what it’s like.

mrblobby
    Free Member

4 Season Bike or Winter Bike plus Summer Bike?

4 season training bike and a race / summer bike is the way to go. Always handy to have a 4 seasons training bike ready to go even during summer for when it’s wet, dark, windy, etc.

4) Keep all of the components I bought for the original build and aim to build a ‘summer’ bike next year when more framesets feature thru axles and flat mount discs. I guess there wouldn’t be a requirement for proper mudguard mounts if I had a dedicated winter bike?

Thru axles, discs, sounds more like a 4 seasons bike! How do you see your summer bike differing from your winter bike? Sounds like you just need to take the guards off 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

I would have bought the 4S Disc in 2015 when Kinesis released it but they decided to go with QR rather than thru axle

I did find this slightly disappointing when speccing up the build but, TBH, none of my other bikes have thru-axles, so I don’t really notice.

vincienup
    Free Member

Not sure I see why a semi disposable drivetrain on a winter bike is a downside, and unless planning to go to full hydraulic if jave difficulty seeing Spyres as a downside either once the standard pads and rotors were in the bin 😀

TiRed

Same as MrB. Winter and Summer. You can always ride a bike with mudguards during summer showers. And you can also ride a nice road bike on sparkly dry winter days.

When the weather is really rubbis, I tend to rinse down by winter bikes after every ride anyway.

bluedynamo
    Free Member

damascus

Doesn’t feature mudguards or doesn’t have the option to fit mudguards?

After your post, my friend ordered one. With the £25 discount and cash back it came in around £580.

Information says it takes mudguards and the question and answer says it does too.

It should arrive this week. I’ll let you know what it’s like.

This was the response I received from Wiggle:

“In this instance I have looked into this for you and can confirm that this bike does have a band on front derailleur mount as the image depicts. The description on this occasion is not correct so apologies for that.

This bike does not have any front mudguards mounts for attaching bolted guards but you can fit something like these to it which will work equally as well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-raceblade-pro/

These guards come in two sizes and are fully adjustable as well. The bike also does not have any rack mounts either, so if you wished to use a pannier with this bike then you would need to use a seat post mounted rack and pannier set up like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-qr-beam-rack-mtx/.”

Wiggle don’t seem to have bothered updating the spec list for the bike so I responded to the question in the Q&A section to clarify the situation with the mudguards. It’s not a bike I’m considering now.

damascus
    Free Member

Thanks for the update. He only bought it as he thought it was full mudguards suitable for a winter bike.

Does that mean the frame has mounts for rear mudguards?

I’ll double check it when it arrives but it may be going back.

What a shame. Thanks

bluedynamo
    Free Member

From the photos there looks to be a seatstay bridge mounting point but there don’t appear to be any around the rear axle.

Wiggle didn’t confirm one way or the other about rear mounting points. Hopefully Wiggle will take the hint that they need to update the specs if your friend sends it back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Given that most summer days in the UK look like this,

Why wouldn’t you want a bike with proper mudguards unless you’re racing?

damascus
    Free Member

The bike turned up, fantastic bike for the money but no mudguard mounts.

The rear triangle has a bolt behind the bottom bracket and on the seat stays but nothing else.

The forks have nothing on them.

Unfortunately it’s going back

Any suggestions for a similar winter bike, discs etc that takes full mudguards

belugabob
    Free Member

Looks like a bargain
    Might want to change a few parts, but a decent starting point.

Your challenge is finding one for sale.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these. I’ve just fitted full guards to it today.
    Spotty Dog imho.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD-Optimo-Disc-Tiagra-2017-Road-Bike_96364.htm

bluedynamo
    Free Member

The bike turned up, fantastic bike for the money but no mudguard mounts.

The rear triangle has a bolt behind the bottom bracket and on the seat stays but nothing else.

The forks have nothing on them.

Unfortunately it’s going back

That’s a shame.

I’ve got one of these. I’ve just fitted full guards to it today.
    Spotty Dog imho.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD-Optimo-Disc-Tiagra-2017-Road-Bike_96364.htm

I’d considered the lower end range of Cannondale’s like the CAAD and Optimo as the frames are really nice. Unfortunately they look to be post mount only and feature QR axles. I’ve been trying to futureproof the purchase by going for bikes with flat mounts and 12mm thru axles which limits the choice available currently.

bluedynamo
    Free Member

Just noticed these:

Tifosi Cavazzo 2018

Dolan RDX Disc – this is QR only otherwise it looks brilliant.

beagle
    Free Member

Have you totally written off the Mason? It shouldn’t be long until the v2 Definition is out there.

Bez

Why would QR dropouts be a deal breaker on a road bike?

bluedynamo
    Free Member

Have you totally written off the Mason? It shouldn’t be long until the v2 Definition is out there.

I’ve not totally ruled it out. I’ve been in discussions with one of the guys at Mason last week regarding what size would be most suitable. At £1,150 it’s nearly 50% more than the Bowmans Pilgrims Project X I had budgeted for but this looks like it won’t be released now till next year so I’m just going to need to talk myself into spending more!

Why would QR dropouts be a deal breaker on a road bike?

Newer bikes on the market are moving towards 12mm thru axles – this is very much a personal choice as I know some people don’t think it makes any difference whatsoever. Plus disc rub on my old mountain bike used to drive me up the wall. Everything I’ve read online suggests that thru axles tend to reduce the likelihood of disc rub.

beagle
    Free Member

Mason Definition 2 now in stock!

bluedynamo
    Free Member

I’ve succumbed and got a Lens Blue one on pre-order after having a ride on one at Bike Treks in the Lakes at the weekend. Should be delivered in a couple of weeks!

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve succumbed and got a Lens Blue one on pre-order after having a ride on one at Bike Treks in the Lakes at the weekend. Should be delivered in a couple of weeks!

I bought the original version back in 2015 and it still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. What have they changed for the mk2?

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

What have they changed for the mk2?

Thru-axles front and rear, flat-mount brakes, slightly steeper/racier head angle.

ransos
    Free Member

Thru-axles front and rear, flat-mount brakes, slightly steeper/racier head angle.

Makes sense, thanks. The newer fork has more clearance as well. Surprised they’ve steepened the head angle though.

beagle
    Free Member

I understood that the only geo change was to shorten the rear end a little bit. Read/heard nothing about change in head angle. That coming from Mason themselves?

Congrats Bluedynamo!

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’m also after a 4season / not race bike….like the 4S but don’t think there’s anywhere local (near oxford) that stocks them.
    I like the race bike position just with discs and guards concept.
    The spec seems quite good on the builds at freeborn for 1250.
    Anything else I should be considering with guards and hydraulic discs?
    The cannondale optimo looks reasonable too…

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

Read/heard nothing about change in head angle. That coming from Mason themselves?

Sorry, I must have mis-remembered the faster handling as being down to the head angle rather than the shorter rear.

bluedynamo
    Free Member

Sorry, I must have mis-remembered the faster handling as being down to the head angle rather than the shorter rear.

This tallies with what the guy at Mason told me. Flat mount brakes, thru axles front and rear and a shorter rear for a slightly racier feel. No changes to the rest of the geometry otherwise.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on with the Mason.
    Fancy an element grey one.
    Not till next year though!
    Max

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘4 Season Bike or Winter Bike plus Summer Bike?’ is closed to new replies.