Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • 4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

Is this one still running??

How did the original story migrate into this,

Maybe you should try it, then see how you’d feel about some lycra clad cockwomble (possibly disabled) handing you 4 water bottles to fill, while they sat drinking pints and eating crisps

and this…

It’s not like there’s anything on here relating to Singletrack topics, just landed gentry and their carbon road bikes and narrow minded views on the lower classes tending to their needs. It’s come to something when a rider can’t conduct the most basic of tasks himself.

??

I thought the issue was that they’d asked for water, not that they’d insisted the staff fill the bottles? The article didn’t say the staff had suggested they fill them themselves but the cyclists insisted the staff do it while they sit around doing nothing?

Surely no normal person would refuse someone water if they needed it, just to prove some twisted point of principle that (in their view) they should have been more prepared and self-sufficient?

I’m mean, come on, how fk’d up is that??

I sense there’s more to certain contributors’ comments than an issue of filling up water bottles. Perhaps there’s a few chips on shoulders?

Calling the fuzz was equally OTT though.

ransos
    Free Member

Surely no normal person would refuse someone water if they needed it, just to prove some twisted point of principle that (in their view) they should have been more prepared and self-sufficient?

Binners would. Apparently, he’d rather have an argument to prop up his fragile ego than extend basic human courtesy.

scandal42
    Free Member

I think Binners last post puts this to bed, I suggest people put the troll food away now.

binners

Binners would. Apparently, he’d rather have an argument to prop up his fragile ego than extend basic human courtesy.

Well, you see now you’re just generalising. I’m not an animal. If you asked while the blood from the recently hacked off stumps, where your hands used to be, splashed on to the slate floor by the bar, then I would. Possibly. If you asked nicely.

If you still had your own hands, then I wouldn’t. Or if your hands had been removed in some unspeakably barbaric act involving some farm machinery, maybe a bailing machine, but you were wearing Sky team kit. I wouldn’t then either.

Has that cleared that up?

philjunior
    Free Member

In answer to the question I’ve asked twice, but no-one has answered: Have any of the ‘its my legal right, blah, blah, blah….’ lot ever worked behind the bar of a busy pub? One that’s full of people drinking, and ordering meals, at the busiest period of the week?

Yes, have done all sorts of catering work and would always happily give people water (not that it matters, but I would do this regardless of whether they had a legal right to demand it). In fact there are some customers I really wish would’ve asked for water instead of being drunken arseholes.

I mean I did get occasionally annoyed by requests at big events for “just a hot water with a slice of lemon in it would be lovely” when tea and coffee were on offer, but you know what? I was at work, it was a minor inconvenience, and it made them happier so I did it. Even when everyone else on that table decided they wanted the same thing, I still did it (as this was an event, everything was pre paid so the charging or not thing doesn’t really come into it).

Aaaaand while I’m at it, no one is suggesting that the manager said “No I don’t want to fill up those dirty bottles.” and the option of water in glasses was available. Not that it matters as I hope that the staff would be regularly washing hands anyway – and really this is sooo far from the original post…

ransos
    Free Member

Well, you see now you’re just generalising. If you asked while the blood from the recently hacked off stumps, where your hands used to be, splashed on to the slate floor by the bar, then I would. Possibly. If you asked nicely.

If you still had your own hands, then I wouldn’t. Or if your hands had been removed in some unspeakably barbaric act involving some farm machinery, maybe a bailing machine, but you were wearing Sky team kit

As I was saying, most people have slightly stronger feelings of self-worth so are happy to provide a small kindness to a paying customer. Unfortunately, sad misanthropes do sometimes end up working with the public, really they’d be better off working from home.

martinhutch

their time was taken up with important more important matters, such as having an argument.

’tis the STW way.

binners

As I was saying, most people have slightly stronger feelings of self-worth so are happy to provide a small kindness to a paying customer. Unfortunately, sad misanthropes do sometimes end up working with the public, really they’d be better off working from home.

Nonsense and piffle!!! This great nation of ours has at its very core the total rejection of that awful American ‘have a nice day’ culture. And rightfully so! What this pub landlord was doing in gleefully and indulgently refusing to offer any kind of service ethic, then swearing at people, was striking a blow for the fundamental principles of Britishness itself, and boldly affirming the true values of this great country of ours

I think you need to recognise that, and give him the respect he deserves. Because if it were left to people like you, with your wishy washy acts of consideration towards strangers, even if they were whiney middle class cockbags dressed like gymnasts, then I don’t know where that would leave us, I really don’t. We’d probably all be speaking German

*prepares to flounce*

cokie

..if they had seating for 4 guys to enjoy a pint then they aren’t that busy.
    A busy pub is one where it would take 10 minutes to order a pint and then you’d be squashed in the most uncomfortable position in the corner of a room or against the fence. I’ve worked in busy pubs and have always had time to server and help people (not just customers).

poisonspider
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Well, you see now you’re just generalising. I’m not an animal. If you asked while the blood from the recently hacked off stumps, where your hands used to be, splashed on to the slate floor by the bar, then I would. Possibly. If you asked nicely.

If you still had your own hands, then I wouldn’t. Or if your hands had been removed in some unspeakably barbaric act involving some farm machinery, maybe a bailing machine, but you were wearing Sky team kit. I wouldn’t then either.

Has that cleared that up?

Ooh, all becomes clear now, I feel so stupid!

Your objectionable rantings were just a (not so) clever ‘joke’?

You were trying to be amusing and not a-hole all along.

Yawn.

ransos
    Free Member

You were trying to be amusing and not a-hole all along.

You know that quote about it being better to try and fail, than to not try at all? I’m not sure it’s true.

binners

Calling me an a-hole is also a dreadful American affectation too, so could you kindly stop it, and swear properly please? Have some self-respect, for gods sake man!

martinhutch

Nonsense and piffle!!! This great nation of ours has at its very core the total rejection of that awful American ‘have a nice day’ culture. And rightfully so! What this pub landlord was doing in gleefully and indulgently refusing to offer any kind of service ethic, then swearing at people, was striking a blow for the fundamental principles of Britishness itself, and boldly affirming the true values of this great country of ours

Exactly. The last thing we want is for the influx of peoples from far-flung places where hospitality and welcome are part of the culture to dilute the traditional English values of being a miserable curmudgeonly bastard.

zilog6128

The irony is that these cheerful foreign immigrants that Binners despises have actually had much harder lives than him and his bigoted pub-landlord cronies and yet somehow manage not to act like total ****.

DaRC_L

Ok binners I’ll throw the troll a roll 😀

Maybe you should try it, then see how you’d feel about some lycra clad cockwomble (possibly disabled) handing you 4 water bottles to fill, while they sat drinking pints and eating crisps

Tick been there, done that but as a decent human being & bartender I would have said “Sorry mate you can see we’re 4 deep at the bar here, can you wait? ” possibly (if the loo’s were ok) adding “the toilets have drinking water you can fill them up yourselves there.”
    Not been a de-humanised cockwomble of a barman as you seem to suggest should be normal behaviour

martinhutch

cheerful foreign immigrants that Binners despises

Are you just trying to troll Binners in some kind of retaliatory gesture now?

poisonspider
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Calling me an a-hole is also a dreadful American affectation too, so could you kindly stop it, and swear properly please? Have some self-respect, for gods sake man!

I used a-hole cos the swear filter would take out the full version, obvs!

Sadly, I fear the only person you are amusing with your Charlie Brooker wannabe style, is yourself!

And there’s a word for people who ‘amuse’ themselves, it begins with a ‘w’ and rhymes with ‘yanker’.

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

In answer to the question I’ve asked twice, but no-one has answered

I’m a barkeep in a busy pub, and your question was answered before you asked it.
    Maybe you’ve had enough already.
    Have a glass of water instead.
    Would you like ice and lemon?
    🙂

xxx
    sbob.

cokie

scandal42
    Free Member

**** off and get it yourself cokie

aracer
    Free Member

Sandwich

The pub is in Freckenham on the edge of the Fens. That’s a whole sort of special place all on its own.

Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists’ is closed to new replies.