Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • 4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists
  • scandal42
    Free Member

I’m sorry but I cannot get my head round this at all.

You sound dehydrated

squoglybob
    Free Member

I think I am, I might also rush out and purchase some ill fitting attire to get my point across, ive been sat here since 8 this morning and NO ONE has brought me a brew.

I hope some one filled up my Audi to day so I can get home as it was on red this morning,

And I hope the Butler washed my bike,

sbob
    Free Member

You sound dehydrated

Have a pint.

taxi25
    Free Member

Squbob, your trolling shirly ? They were paying customers who asked for some water to go on their way with. The giving of water is a corner stone of any humane society, what’s not to get ?????????

atlaz
    Free Member

So what your saying then is that it is perfectly acceptable to hop on a bike with insufficient rations to complete a lengthy ride?

To make it clear to you. On a recent ride not too much shy of 100 miles on a reasonably cool/mild day I drank somewhere in the region of 4l of fluids. I carried two 750ml bottles. I refilled them twice at cafes en route. It’s not really feasible for a road cyclist to carry enough water for a proper long ride unless they don’t drink much. That said, what is feasible is getting refills from people as the majority of people are not, funnily enough, massive knobbers with a chip on their shoulders. Unlike you.

amedias
    Free Member

I’m sorry but I cannot get my head round this at all.

It’s dead simple, you plan to refill, whether that be at a stream, cafe, pub, friends house, petrol station, corner shop, ask a random stranger.

How on earth do you think people manage fluids when touring or on multi-day rides?

LoCo
    Free Member

How on earth do you think people manage fluids when touring or on multi-day rides?

Do Bob yak do bowser trailers?

squoglybob
    Free Member

NO not trolling, who leaves the house on let’s assume what is a pretty expensive bike in what I can only imagine as toight shiny clobber in probably a fairly expensive pair of glasses a helmet and some proper shoes to cycle in and then not bother their Arse carrying enough fluid.

YES I agree that the landlord should fulfill his obligation but he didn’t, but whose fault was it that the rider had no fluid the rider or the landlord?

It’s the riders responsibility to administer himself surely, just the same as if he gets a puncture what then? Phone the Fire Brigade because there is no one there to take his tyre off, he’s already wasted valuable resources because he thinks the World owes him a living.

He sounds like the sort of bloke you wouldn’t want to be stuck on a desert island wth to me. I bet his wife has a right dogs life running round after him.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Atlas, you don’t carry enough fluid and that makes me a knobber, go figure……

And a hundred miles, a proper long ride, wow you really are a riding God. I wish I was speshul two.

davidjey
    Free Member

NO not trolling

Yes you are.

atlaz
    Free Member

And a hundred miles, a proper long ride, wow you really are a riding God. I wish I was speshul two.

It’s a long ride for me. Anyway I said you were a massive knobber. Nothing you’ve said disproves that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m with atlaz on this.

funkrodent

ironnigel – Member
    How odd! Complete contrast to the friendly folk at the Ladybower Inn who let me fill my drink bladder, even though I’d bought nowt and cheekily just dropped in and asked. Was a hot day mind you.

North / South divide? Northern / Southern hospitality divide?

Steps back to admire the beautiful can of worms freshly opened.

I’ll take a handful of them worms, with this from the same story..

Last month we reported how a woman in Yorkshire who filled up a water bottle after being asked to do so by a passing cyclist tipped out the contents when he was unable to pay the £3 she asked him to pay for it

And finally..

squoglybob – Member
    NO not trolling

Really? Really???

Come on now. You’re either very bored and trolling or incredibly stupid. Either way it don’t reflect well on you. 100 miles on a hot day = lots of water. Way more than the average cyclist would carry and there ain’t nothing wrong in asking someone for a refill.

But then again, you’re not really that interested in rational discussions are you? Not when there’s insults, assumptions and invective to be thrown around eh?

sbob
    Free Member

pretty expensive bike: Carerra TdF Ltd, £250 from Halfords.
    toight shiny clobber: Normal clothing, no Lycra.
    fairly expensive pair of glasses: Specsavers, £40.
    a helmet: Flowing in the breeze!
    some proper shoes to cycle in: Adidas shell toes.

I don’t even carry a puncture repair kit, you must properly loathe me!

I do of course carry a mobile phone, so can always call the support car, or a taxi.

Anyway, there’s no point trying to take enough fluids, even in an insulated Camelbak the beer will get too warm.

sbob
    Free Member

squoglybob – Member

I’d just like to point out that we are in no way related.

binners

But then again, you’re not really that interested in rational discussions are you? Not when there’s insults, assumptions and invective to be thrown around eh?

Are you new here?

aracer
    Free Member

Somebody who’s going on a ride longer than 3 hours on a standard road bike which doesn’t have water carrying provision for longer than that, that’s who.

I once did a 100 mile TT. Started off with over 2 litres of liquid (bottle on bars for hands free drinking, 2 behind saddle), but stashed a bottle in the bushes at about the 75 mile mark as that wasn’t enough for the whole race. Most people have somebody supporting handing up bottles.

poisonspider
    Free Member

By way of contrast, quick shout out for The Garden Room Cafe in Braithwell near Rotherham.

They had a glass of iced water on the counter for me before I’d even got through the door.

They didn’t know me or anything, the girl just said it was hot outside so I must be thirsty!

njee20
    Free Member

The cafe in Leith Hill tower will regularly refuse to fill bottles if they’re busy (and you’re buying stuff), but they’ll rummage in their fridge to sell you one, which takes longer than using the tap right at the front of the ‘shop’ 🙄

It’s why I’d much sooner use Peaslake village store!

And Squoglybob is a moron.

squoglybob
    Free Member

That just about sums up the mentally surrounding road biking for me, I can’t carry my own water therefore others should duly oblige,

I won’t carry a repair kit but will gladly phone a Taxi, and njee I wouldn’t expect anything else from you but to obey what the forum gods spout out, oh and Gina at the Garden Rooms relies on the passing trade, and I am a regular, God forbid they should EVER charge you for water I mean it’s not like they or any other cafe are in business to make money they are there solely at the behest of those unfortunate enough to think that they are the single most important life form and others should make them feel important by running round filling up your water bottles. How important you all must be “Only in your own head”

binners

I’m with Bob on this one.

A serious question to the Roadies: Why won’t you use a Camelbak? Eh?

Is know its as verboten as going out on your bike not dressed in the attire of a female Chinese gymnast, but why?

Surely it makes sense, and its just roadies being typically contrary.

I’m also just thinking of some of the roadies I know, and their frankly atrociously arrogant and superior attitudes, and I’m wondering what tone they used to the landlord when ‘asking’ for their water bottles to be filled?

I’ll be honest, if someone ‘asked’ me to fill their water bottles for them, I’d tell them to fill their own ****ing water bottle. If you were having a bad day, and someone’s ‘asking’ came across more as ‘telling’ then I can absolutely understand the reaction. Especially if it was a group of people dressed like colourblind sex offenders

davidjey
    Free Member

That just about sums up the mentally surrounding road biking for me

Did someone on a road bike once ride past you without saying hello?

slowoldman

Last month we reported how a woman in Yorkshire who filled up a water bottle after being asked to do so by a passing cyclist tipped out the contents when he was unable to pay the £3 she asked him to pay for it

Well yes but that’s Yorkshire water.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because no one as yet has figured out how to carry enough water for more than a day even in the cold, even in a camelback?

Do you think Team Sky have a huge bowser of water on the bus in case the hotel refuses to give them any.

njee20
    Free Member

What peculiar views some people hold.

FWIW I ask for water on my MTB more regularly than on my road bike! I’m basically Hitler.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

FWIW I ask for water on my MTB more regularly than on my road bike! I’m basically Hitler.

I’m like Genghis Khan on a cross bike. Sounds like the punchline of a good anecdote.

aracer
    Free Member

Because it’s less comfortable when you’re spending a couple of hours continuously riding, rather than stopping every 5 minutes for a rest as mountain bikers do.

Question for the mountain bikers – why do you lug around a huge bag full of stuff you’ll never use?

cokie

Hmm.. so what would you suggest I do riding from London to Paris in under 24 hours, squoglybob?

martinhutch

Hmm.. so what would you suggest I do riding from London to Paris in under 24 hours, squoglybob?

First half – couple of bottles. Second half – regular pastis. Sorted.

poisonspider
    Free Member

oh and Gina at the Garden Rooms relies on the passing trade, and I am a regular, God forbid they should EVER charge you for water I mean it’s not like they or any other cafe are in business to make money they are there solely at the behest of those unfortunate enough to think that they are the single most important life form and others should make them feel important by running round filling up your water bottles. How important you all must be “Only in your own head”

Erm…I only said she gave me a glass of water?!

I never said I expected it or indeed even needed it. I was simply making a contrasting comparison with the OPs story.

Chill out fella!

Oh and the next time you’re in there can you put out a sign or something, then I’ll know keep on going, wouldn’t want my day ruining by meeting you, even accidentally.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Cokie, try getting off your bike and walking to a tap, if you turn it some clear liquid falls out, don’t get confused as some taps require the poor bastard who doesn’t have to wipe his own Arse to Push the top, same as turning the stuff that comes out goes in the bottle.

You have the inclination to do London to Paris in under 24 hours but are incapable of self administration, I’d stay at home ,

You may even pass a garage, these sell beverages and they will serve you, unfortunately you will have to lift lift it up to your mouth to take a sip, also cafes sell liquid based beverages. I doubt all cafes will have a glass of ice cold water sat on the counter as that would be counter productive, a bit like going into a bike shop with the intention of buying chain lube and the guy behind the counter giving you a free sample and saying fill your boots it’s not like you had any intention of buying any.

How do you guys get dressed in the morning, do you just stand there while your servant buttons up your shirt.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Keep up Grandad, all the cool kids have bottles on their Enduro bikes nowadays. An MTBer with a Camelbak? More likely to see one with bar ends..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

buying crisps and then asking for water seems a little short sighted…

squoglybob
    Free Member

Why would a Roadie even contemplate carrying a camelbak when Joe public is there to do it for them, I mean it’s not as if you you even need to ask, do you just hold your hand out and some one just scuttles off?

I wish some one would ask me to fill their bottle, please lord why do I never get to meet these folk,

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I wish some one would ask me to fill their bottle, please lord why do I never get to meet these folk

The fact you you don’t come across as very approachable probably has something to do with it

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’m approachable, I just have an issue with folk who leave the house without the gumption to get themselves through a day, these are the type of people who the signs on the Mtwys are intended,

“CHECK YOUR FUEL LEVEL”

I was thinking about this the other day, who drives down the Mtwy blissfully unaware how much fuel is in the tank, then the next bright orange flashing sign tells you how many cars ran out of fuel last month, I wonder if they phoned the Police to complain that no one had filled up their cars.

taxi25
    Free Member

squoglybob. You’ve lost it mate, even for on here, the rubbish your talking is off the scale 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was thinking about this the other day,

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HBBf_eDLM[/video]

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Squoglybob, are you on crack? The riders in question bought sustenance, same as filling up at a petrol station on a motorway…

They then asked for water for which they are legally entitled to do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What about if the camel back is empty?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists’ is closed to new replies.