Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)
  • 4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists
  • cheers_drive

I’ve ridden past that pub a few times, the landlords sounds like a dick, not the incident warranted calling the police though.

ironnigel
    Free Member

How odd! Complete contrast to the friendly folk at the Ladybower Inn who let me fill my drink bladder, even though I’d bought nowt and cheekily just dropped in and asked. Was a hot day mind you.

North / South divide? Northern / Southern hospitality divide?

Steps back to admire the beautiful can of worms freshly opened.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Could be a North/South divide type of thing here, I got a bucket of water from a butchers in Brafferton North Yorks the other day, just to find a titchy hole in an inner tube while on a road/offroad ride.

scotroutes

I believe it’s still a legal requirement in Scotland that a publican must supply free drinking water if requested.

zilog6128

North / South divide?

I live in the SE, never had a problem getting a bottle refilled in all kinds of places; pubs, cafes, even a butchers once. Just sounds like the manager is a total bell-end in this case.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, as above, it’s not a regional thing. Just a dick v non-dick thing.

Phil_H

Licensing (Scotland) act 2005 SCHEDULE 3 Premises licences: mandatory conditions
    “Tap water fit for drinking must be provided free of charge on request.”

cookeaa

TBF it is Suffolk, it’s a very special part of the UK…

andyl
    Free Member

. Complete contrast to the friendly folk at the Ladybower Inn

The ladybower inn is a little gem and things like that are why people always reccomend it to other people. Massive portion of fish and chips is great after a ride too 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

I believe it’s still a legal requirement in Scotland that a publican must supply free drinking water if requested.

I don’t give a shit what’s legal or not, come into my pub looking to refill your water bottles and I (or any other member of staff) will happily do so.
    You won’t even need to buy a pint, why would you?

You may have to put up with me berating your choice of bicycle, but you’ll get watered!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don’t give a shit what’s legal or not, come into my pub looking to refill your water bottles and I (or any other member of staff) will happily do so.
    You won’t even need to buy a pint, why would you?

You may have to put up with me berating your choice of bicycle, but you’ll get watered!

& where is this heavenly institute? Cos I may pop in!

BigDummy
    Free Member

If the police are correct, that staff can demand that someone leaves if they request tap water, then the requirement to provide tap water isn’t really a thing.

However, it does look as if the whole obnoxious blow-up could have been avoided if the Paragon lot had just said “fine, 4 pints of lemonade, plenty of ice then” and got on with their day.Some places make cyclists very welcome, some don’t. You’re not going to change that by kicking off in the latter, and this really didn’t need to involve the police.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree that calling the police does seem disproportionate but on a fundamental level, if someone breaks the law, isn’t that what they’re for?

If people can pick and choose which laws they want to ingnore, and this behaviour is endorsed by the police, then what is the purpose of these laws?

Without laws, what do we have? How long before we descend into anarchy?

Perhaps the other option would be to report the landlords actions to the licencing authority. Perhaps they would revoke his licence if he’s demonstrating that he’s ignoring the laws around his licence.

It might even be in the landlords best interests long term if the police had asked him to fill the bottles.

drofluf
    Free Member

The pub has a page on Facebook.

Just sayin’ like…..

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Pub manager = being dick
    Club cyclists = being dicks
    End of really

Mind you is Suffolk so

John Deere = sports car
    Marriage = cousin
    Music = banjos 😀

montgomery
    Free Member

Never had any problems getting water in a pub since I headed south.

But I have seen a bunch of over-entitled middle aged roadies going off on one at a teenage waitress who’d washed the gel out of their bottles when they had, en masse, asked her to fill them up in a busy cafe.

North/south thing? Nah, it’s a roadie thing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Dulwich Paragon, couldn’t have happened to a nicer bunch of dicks 😆

willard

Fatsimon. Please, that sort of behaviour is from Norfolk. Suffolk is more cosmopolitan and prefers Massey Ferguson for tractors.

Let’s be blunt, any landlord can be a dick anywhere in the country. This one was a dick. He probably got annoyed because, after telling people that he would not do something, he saw them doing the same thing.

FuzzyWuzzy

I could understand if they hadn’t bought a round first (legal requirement on the tap water provision or not) but they’d paid likely well over a tenner on drinks/snacks so the landlord just sounds like an asshole

dbcooper
    Free Member

Its not a north south divide thing, why must these events always be meta-ised. Its just a **** running a pub.
    Hopefully the licensing comittee will take a dim view of this.

matt_outandabout

@fatsimon – you also forgot the location of an ailing and burnt out nuclear power station to add to Suffolks ‘special’ factors…

allthepies
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The ladybower inn is a little gem and things like that are why people always reccomend it to other people. Massive portion of fish and chips is great after a ride too

Got a free coffee there when some staff member noticed I was sat outside shivering in November waiting for a lift home after suffering more punctures than I had tubes/patches, I’d even gotten a spare from a passing roadie!

On the North/South thing, I’ve filled up at random peoples houses on the SDW.

martinhutch

Dragging the poor kitchen staff into it after presumably having a row with the manager in the bar area isn’t nice.

And once you’ve pointed out politely that they are in breach of their legal obligations, and been told to get off the premises, I can’t see why you’d need to ring the police (unless of course you’re intent on continuing a stand-up row and not leaving when asked).

Just shrug, get water elsewhere and report to local licensing body.

iain1775
    Free Member

Without laws, what do we have?

France

To many laws
    Germany

Pub landlord innit

davidjey
    Free Member

Licensing laws or not, what an epic twit.

If you’re in the hospitality industry it’s probably best to keep your prejudices to yourself or you might find it’s not good for business (particularly in the days when you can be publically flamed via your convenient facebook page).

Oh and just to buck the North/South lazy generalisation one of only a couple of times I’ve been on the receiving end of this type of nonsense was in the Woodbine Cafe in Hope.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Jeez what has this country come to? it’s water for crying out loud.

Moreover why not just ask for a jug of water and fill the bottles up at your table.

sbob
    Free Member

& where is this heavenly institute? Cos I may pop in!

It’s in Cambs, on the Ouse.

If it’s raining and you haven’t brought a lock, I’ll even lock your bikes up in the compound out back whilst you dry off inside, as long as you ask nicely.

Or buy me a half.

Actions speak louder than words and all that. 😀

taxi25
    Free Member

Free tap water for all at my local.It even has has dishes so your dog can have some. If Mrs Taxi is working you don’t even have to ask, if she thinks your dogs thirsty she’ll just put some water in front of it.
    But then some people will always treat cyclists worse than dogs 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

as long as you ask nicely.

Or buy me a half.

Verbal abuse and a pint?

Anyway, back on topic.

I’ve knocked on the door of a farm to ask for a refill before. The woman who answered told me that the water was warm because their pipes are close to the surface but 3km up the mountain there was a spring that would be ice cold. Nice lady and as she happened to mention she made cheese, I went back the following day on the way home and bought some. I’ve also had fill-ups in pubs, restaurants, cafes, service stations (I had no cash to buy a bottle of water) and one nice woman in a bakery gave me a can of coke when I ran out of money buying food from her.

People are mostly nice. Mostly is the key word.

sbob
    Free Member

But I have seen a bunch of over-entitled middle aged roadies going off on one at a teenage waitress who’d washed the gel out of their bottles

I almost did this once, but fortunately I asked first. 😳

There may have then been some friendly verbal for not choosing to fill up their bottles with beer though.

Everyone loves a mildy abusive, slightly overly candid barman, right? 😀

binners

Dear god! Why can’t they fill their own water bottles up from the taps in the bogs? Have they lost the use of their arms or something?

And calling the police? Seriously? Sweet Jesus!! I’d say the Roadie bedwetters need to get a sense of bloody perspective! They thoroughly deserved being told to **** off! 😆

squoglybob
    Free Member

Bad Admin, ill discipline, poor etiquette.

I cannot condone the landlords behaviour as I don’t like roadies either.

I couldn’t imagine going out for a 4-5 hour Peaks ride without sufficient fluid, how can you distance yourself knowing you will run out of fluid, I suppose that’s the difference between those that wear Team SKY Kit with its support vehicles and those that wear it expecting others to bow down to their self importance. Yes it’s Law that the landlord should supply tap water upon request but at the end of the day his staff aren’t there to pander to folk who are incapable of looking after themselves.

WTF is wrong with people, I’ve not got the capacity to look after myself so I’ll burden others with my inept inadequate attitude. If you run out of fluid it’s fair to assume that you aren’t carrying out enough. Surely a connection can be made.

DezB
    Free Member

Gatorade Team Sky Green Bottle = most interesting bit of the story.

atlaz
    Free Member

If you run out of fluid it’s fair to assume that you aren’t carrying out enough. Surely a connection can be made.

Yes. Get someone to refill your bottle.

scaled
    Free Member

What a twonk 😀

I’d got myself ratarsed in the centre of Manchester and then decided to do a 30 mile road ride home. The only place that was open was a chippy in Urmston.

The lass behind the counter thought it was hilarious that i’d competently hopped off my bike then could barely stand up while she topped off my water bottle then pedaled off again. 19.6mph on the way home, in the dark

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

Dear god! Why can’t they fill their own water bottles up from the taps in the bogs? Have they lost the use of their arms or something?

I can guarantee that the sink behind my bar is nice and clean, wheras the sink in the gents could have been contaminated between checks, probably by filthy middle aged lycra clad roadies who have popped in to finger themselves with their reapplications of bum cream.

davidjey
    Free Member

how can you distance yourself knowing you will run out of fluid

Err because many establishments providing refreshments are available on the way, the majority of which won’t throw a hissyfit at paying customers asking for some water?

squoglybob
    Free Member

So what your saying then is that it is perfectly acceptable to hop on a bike with insufficient rations to complete a lengthy ride?
    That as far as I’m concerned is a wholly selfish act.
    And that it is perfectly acceptable that others should cater for your own self importance?

What if, shudder to think you should miss calculate humanity and have a door slammed in your face, is that then their fault that you go down with dechydration because some one else failed to look after you.

I’m sorry but I cannot get my head round this at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists’ is closed to new replies.