Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • 4 out 5 new jobs in London….
  • footflaps

Quite shocking how London centric the UK is:

Talented young people are leaving provincial cities in their 20s, making a success of their lives in London and never go back. London is where the work is: the capital was responsible for four out of every five jobs created in the private sector between 2010 and 2012.

The brain drain meant that every major city outside the south-east is losing young people to London. One in three 22-30 year olds leaving their hometowns end up with Oyster cards and Boris as their mayor.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/27/great-migration-south-private-sector-jobs-london

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Good, then when the olds all die off round here it will be lovely and quiet with empty roads and lots of cheap houses.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Probably because local employers don’t have well paid jobs for intelligent and driven individuals. It’s always been like this so long as I can remember.

Not one government over the last 30 years has done anything effective to decentralise the draw of London. Seems daft that we all have to spend hours travelling into and expensive and chested city when the quality of our work and our lives could be so easily improved.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

All the oldies seem to end up in the SE:

maccruiskeen

Suits me fine – nothing worse than having to share the market with people who are younger, cheaper, better looking, brighter, keener and more talented than you. The more bright young things that up and leave town the easier it is for us dull old duffers to keep food on the table 🙂

footflaps

The more bright young things that up and leave town the easier it is for us dull old duffers to keep food on the table

I like your thinking (as an old duffer myself).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Might it eventually start to change as more and more of what we do is all computery and all that? Maybe not, perhaps it would have happened already. Why does flashy have to keep flying to posh places to discuss paper clips in this modern age, for want of a better example 🙂

footflaps

Why does flashy have to keep flying to posh places to discuss paper clips in this modern age, for want of a better example

He’s not really a paper clip salesman, he works for MI6, although we’re not supposed to know that…

maccruiskeen

he works for MI6,

I thought it was MFI

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah I see. I was fooled, so I guess his cover was working.

footflaps

Flashy closing a deal on 2000 red paper clips and 600 post-it notes:

Terrible fashion sense mind…..

ThePinkster

Terrible fashion sense mind…..

You should see him when he gets dressed up

footflaps

You should see him when he gets dressed up

G-string, suspender belt and North Face Sports bag is standard mission attire…..

alexpalacefan

So, who’s the one person who left London to go to Mansfield?

APF

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

General 🙂 at the above. Especially Pinky!

soundninjauk

I wish I could pick my job up and do it somewhere northern and scenic rather than London. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

matt_outandabout

Keeps the North, Wales and Scotland quieter, so fine by me.

hh45
    Free Member

I wish I could pick my job up and do it somewhere northern and scenic rather than London. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

+1. and that’s why so many of us who grew up ‘oos of miles from London end up spending 10 – 35 years here. Before hopefully getting out before its too late and returning or going to somewhere decent, greener, cheaper, friendlier etc. less than 5 years to go for me hopefully….. 😆

sam3000

Loads of my school mates and a couple of ex’s etc have moved down to London since graduating (many still being funded by their parents)

They have nice jobs….. (supposedly)

but ,,, they can’t afford to go for more than one beer at a time, if they do it involves half an hour commuting.

They all have huge commutes to work and yet still pay £600pcm rent

(I pay £325 a month mortgage), which leads me on to my next thing, they will never be able to buy property, or even run a car in London.

They can’t jump on a mountain bike and be in the middle of no where within 3 minutes.

I think I’ll stay up north thank you very much!!

binners

I don’t believe a word of it! If it’s true, then how come there are no chippy shell-suited scousers, or cheeky Ant and Dec-o-like Geordie scamps on Eastenders then? Just Danny Dyer calling people slaaaaaaags, some blokes with King Edwards for heads and various hatchet faced trolls!

There’s loads of young people up here, being as annoyingly fresh faced and optimistic as ever. The bastards! Disturbing my world weary cynicism! How dare they?! And there’s been a massive influx of London media bell ends too! I wish they’d all bugger off back there in there skinny jeans and bloody boating shoes!

ninfan
    Free Member

Was it not ever thus?

neilco
    Free Member

It’s coz London is the awsomz.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

neilco – Member

It’s coz London is the awsomz.

Popped down for a meeting today and all the blokes looked like this:

Way too much faffing and preening!

MrSmith
    Free Member

All the oldies seem to end up in the SE:

Where in that info graphic does it mention age?

They have nice jobs….. (supposedly)

but ,,, they can’t afford to go for more than one beer at a time, if they do it involves half an hour commuting.

LOL! Were you leaning on a farm gate chewing a blade of grass while you cogitated that gem. 🙄

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is this a surprise to anyone? I’ve worked in a variety of London design studios over the last twenty years and you’d be hard pushed to find more than around 5% of staff that grew up anywhere near London. Typically people born overseas would largely outnumber the locals.

footflaps

Where in that info graphic does it mention age?

In the accompanying article it mentions:

They don’t always stay in the capital. Alexandra Jones, chief executive of the thinktank Centre for Cities, says that in their 30s many of those attracted by the bright lights of the capital tire of London and move out when they want to start families.

djglover
    Free Member

Hang on, never migration to London, who were the net 2 – 1,998 people who decided London was so bad they would move to Coventry and Mansfield!!!

mogrim

Hang on, never migration to London, who were the net 2 – 1,998 people who decided London was so bad they would move to Coventry and Mansfield!!!

Or Crawley, Reading or Aldershot?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

djglover – Member

They sold a bedsit and used the proceeds to buy half a town!!

soundninjauk

FWIW I have a reasonable household income, and lucked out on a housing association property which means that I have a pretty good quality of life (sometimes I can buy two beers in one evening!), including a fairly puny half hour commute (by bike).

However, as the article says, I am approaching my 30s rather rapidly, I am growing tired of it, and I’d like to move out in the not too distant future. The trouble is finding a job for myself and my other half somewhere else.

I wish I could jump on my bike and get to great riding from my doorstep. The best I’ve got is Richmond Park on the road bike (6 miles across the river, so could be worse), or Swinley forest on the MTB (6 miles to Richmond and then 40 mins on the train, so could be better).

I grew up in Hertfordshire (so not that far from here), but went to uni in Lancaster. That proximity to the Lake District spoiled me, and I’ve missed it ever since moving back down here.

brakes
    Free Member

I feel I must take some of the blame for this London migration; 20-somethings are just drawn towards my rampant manliness.

kimbers

prettymuch exactly the same as soundninja, except grew up in bedfordshire, went to Uni in aberystwyth and now have 2 kids,
    finding new jobs(in or careers) for wife and I outside of london is a massive ballache

antennae
    Free Member

finding new jobs(in or careers) for wife and I outside of london is a massive ballache

Yep. Longing to leave for the mountains but I’ve been looking for work tonight and the stats seem to ring true.

In my line of work, there’s the odd contract or two going in Edinburgh or Cardiff, a handful more in Bristol or Brum and then HUNDREDS in London.

grum
    Free Member

There’s a country outside London and the home counties? I imagine it must be frightful.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

In the linked recruitment email that I get sent every week there’s typically 9 jobs in London and 1 somewhere else in the country. Occasionally all the jobs will be in London but I don’t ever recall seeing more than 1 job outside of London.

Two former colleagues started a new company in Manchester because they were fed up living in London and wanted to move back to where they considered home to be. It sort of worked out as the company is doing very well but they are in London a couple of times a week for client meetings. So although they are making it work for them it’s not really how they had planned it.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Grum, don’t be scared of the country outside london .
    Be scared of the people who live there. 😀

armchairbiker

LoL re the Telford migration. Is that really the live in Telford or more Shropshire and Telford was the nearest big train station.

Klunk
    Free Member
    footflaps

I do like the Mash….

Northwind

Mate works for a company that had to relocate to London because that’s where the talent is apparently. Ratio of people who moved to London to work there- 100%. Percentage of their work that requires them to be in London- 0%.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘4 out 5 new jobs in London….’ is closed to new replies.