Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 4 month, a load of £, lots of trawling the classifieds and swaring but its done!
  • nickewen
    Free Member

After much time spent online selecting and purchasing a variety of new and 2nd hand parts, and a lot of time in the garage swaring and realising stuff didn’t fit/work I have completed my first build and I’m over the moon with it. Absolutely great feeling riding a bike you’ve built yourself. The biggest revelation of the first ride at my local trails was the seatpost and wide bars!

I’ll now let the STW collective cast their views on my first ever build… Be gentle! 😀

Seat Up by VeeeDubStar, on Flickr

geoffj

Front brake hose needs sorting

Edit: Looks very nice actually

jota180
    Free Member

valves – logos

ads678

Yep, that’ll do the trick. Have fun.

ianpinder
    Free Member

😆

Liftman

Car could do with a wash

nickewen
    Free Member

Noted – That was the last thing to go on and I simply couldn’t be chewed to do it before hitting the trails…. Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

Someone’s stolen your number plate letters 😀

JAG

Nice bike – building makes ya feel good huh 8)

However geoffj is right about that front hose 😀

theendisnigh
    Free Member

nice!

(could do with clear helitape)

nickewen
    Free Member

Logos on tyre match up with logos on wheels – the red bit with the red bit…. I have my own weird OCD thing with that. Car does need a wesh too! 🙂

nickewen
    Free Member

Gonna do front brake hose tonight and T-cut the mota

boblo
    Free Member

what’s swaring?

nickewen
    Free Member

Swaring is what i do when I’m trying to write a post quickly at work without other folk noticing 😀

nickewen
    Free Member

Theendisnigh – think I am gonna helitape actually. I did the integral parts with cheap sticky velcro from B&Q for ease. Any recommendations for decent helitape? Never used it before. Cheers

float
    Free Member

I dont like flows 🙁

apart from that looks great 😀

teamslug
    Free Member

Cranks not parallel with ground for photo…looks good though and well done…does feel good building your own. Just make sure front wheel is in properly cos you cant sue yourself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sweet ride. You’ve done very well there.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s not a Five…

Result!

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone! Can’t wait to get out the office and shred this thing tonight! After shortening the brake hose of course.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Best AM out there…

binners

No garden? tsk tsk fundamental schoolboy error there!

Nice bike though. Tis indeed a good feeling building your own bike from scratch. Only trouble is, you’ll now immediately be looking for your next build. Which hardtail are you going for then? 😉

philwarren11
    Free Member

How much did it cost all do you reckon mate?

I think for my next bike its going to be a DIY jobbie.

wwaswas

Looks good but I would try and tame that lower loop of front brake hose if you ride anywhere remotely wooded.

Kato

Bar end cap logos horizontal with the ground please

nickewen
    Free Member

I reckon it probably cost me around 1600ish… That doesn’t include bits raided from the parts bin namely the forks, rear brake, tyres, and stem. The forks came off of a mountain cycle battery I used to have and have the 1.5″ steerer so was limited on frames but had just had them serviced by TF so was keen to use them. The frames have come down in price since I paid £799 for mine…

However after purchasing the Hope tech m4 evo brake for the front after realising my old m4 wasn’t gonna work (adaptor would have pushed the rotor size above spec for the fork) I reckon a new rear wont be too long…

mojo5pro
    Free Member

great build, looks mint. Don’t understand where the forks came from? from a cycle battery? 😯

nickewen
    Free Member

A ‘Mountain Cycle – Battery’. It’s like a mini DH/slopestyle type bike. It was very heavy and I wasn’t really using it so raided it for forks and sold the rest.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘4 month, a load of £, lots of trawling the classifieds and swaring but its done!’ is closed to new replies.