Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 4 inches of joy (what frame content)
  • lostnfound
    Free Member

Hi, I’m new here, can I trouble you chaps for some advice please?

Just getting back into riding after a couple years off out to stud.

I’m just about to sell my weight weenie XTC hardtail frame and going for a full bouncer, which was always more fun for me and my robust stature.

I’ve had a Giant IRS, which was ok I suppose and a Club Roost XC3(Superlight copy?) which I remember being a real hoot.

I have some Rebas with 100mm travel and a few carbon bits and bobs.

So, what frame shall I get? and anyone spotted any deals at the moment?

£700ish budget, second hand is ok.

Thanks for your time!

lostnfound
    Free Member

Have I said something wrong? 🙁

Bregante

Superlight. Look for a nice S/H one

nuke

Flux. Look for a nice S/H one. Might still have some warranty left as well as Turner warranty is transferable.

:edit: As below, +1 for adding Giant Anthem X to the potentials list

RustyMac

Giant Trance
    Turner Flux

mokl
    Free Member

My Superlight gives me endless fun and you should be able to pick up a used one well within your budget. It’s pretty steep up front with 100mm forks though, so depends what sort of bike you’re looking for. It picks up speed so easilly and I have yet to ride anything I prefer for fast, twisty trails. I also ride a Yeti 575, but am always amazed how capable the Superlight is in comparison. In fact it is probably more than enough bike for 99% of what I ride.

FWIW I had the RP23 PUSH tuned after a year of ownership and it turned a good bike into a great one for me.

Should add I also run Rebas, sometimes at 100mm but prefer them at 115mm as bottom bracket is low on this bike.

transapp
    Free Member

I picked up an Anthem X1 frame for £350 s/h on here. Bloody brilliant piece of kit although the frame is the frames on all (x1-x4) are the same with different shocks.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+2 for an Anthem X – loads of fans on here (me included). So saying, I’ve just stripped my 2009 medium frame down and will be advertising it soon if you’re interested? 🙂 Perfect for 100 (or 120mm) forks, and you can build as light or hefty as you want. Brilliant for everything from racing to all dayers in the Peak. You will love it and I’d say a great option (having had a Superlight and rating it far better than that…)

lostnfound
    Free Member

Hmm, I had the Giant NRS and it wasn’t half the fun the XC3 was, suppose the Anthem is a different beast.

I might take first refusal on that Anthem gonetothehills. Are you in the Peaks? I’m down in Devon at the moment but work in Cheltenham – been playing in the FoD on my commuter with solid forks and panniers!

What about the Lapierre X-control?

Northwind

Anthem X, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I have a SC superlight and its very good and simple I put 120mm forks on and its very stable

Mokl I had my rp23 shock pushed too do you use the pro pedal on at all ? what setting if so ? I was told it doesnt need any with it pushed ?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

lostnfound – yes – I’m Macclesfield way. The bike’s done everything it’s ever been asked of. The Superlight was great – but the Anthem X just seemed to do it better. The Lapierre is a bit racier in its geometry, I think? My LBS does Giant, Lapierre and Spesh (amongst others) and seem to sell a lot more Giants than Lapierre, though they do look nice. Drop me a line about the frame by all means.

I think the NRS was a well considered frame but the Maestro suspension on the current Giant range (Anthem, Trance etc) works very well indeed – just do a search on here for a broad selection of views on the Anthem X as a popular bike.

neninja
    Free Member

Loved my Anthem X. Really quite miss it since I sold it last December.

It really depends on what you want it to do. I sold mine as I wanted a bike that was a bit slacker and tougher and got a Helius CC. I can run that at around 100mm but it’s a completely different beast. Slightly slower going up but way quicker going down.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Ahem…

I have a Flux in your price range… If you fit a large

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-large-turner-flux-frame-king-headset-120mm-maxle-reba-3

Rich

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cannondale Rush. Saw a Carbon frame for sale (new) in Evans the other day for £600

mokl
    Free Member

@richieokeefe1 – I do use the propedal on (set at 3 – as it was when I got it back from TFT) as I find it jacks the rear end up a bit for climbs. I also quite like the firmer setting for general riding, but that’s just my taste.

mokl
    Free Member

@ lostnfound, if you want to check out my SL I am in the fod fairly often.
    EDIT: mind you I fancy an Anthem myself, so would deffo check them out.

lostnfound
    Free Member

I ride a medium @the_wanderer, sorry.

Hi mokl, that is a tempting offer, but what with the nights drawing in I’m not sure I can make it after work anymore.

It’s for single track/trails, mostly, with a bit of hooning down some rocky bits. The Quantocks retired my old xc3 in a snappy-framey sort of way.

phinw
    Free Member

Is it 100mm only? Lots of Rebas can be internally adjusted out to 120mm. That might open your frame options up for a “bit of hooning” …

flyingfox
    Free Member

I’m thinking of selling my Morewood Zula, which would fit the bill but unfortunately that figure is a bit too low.

vondally
    Free Member

out of intrest what size zula and price range? Rare as hens teeth then zulas are…..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘4 inches of joy (what frame content)’ is closed to new replies.