Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • 4 HOUR STRIKE, Monday, by NHS service employees.
  • project
    Free Member

Between 07.00 AND 11.00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29588230,

Just like the failed fire service strikes, whats it going to achieve, upset and trauma for patients and Daily Mail readers, looks like the council workers have been bought off though as theyre not bothering to strike.

bruneep

I’ll give this you are persistent.

Why have the the FS strikes failed as a matter of interest?

Watching Guy Martin, so crack on in my absence

anagallis_arvensis

Good luck to all concerned. Hopefully it will make people sit up and take notice.

firestarter
    Free Member

What strikes bru?? Sorry couldn’t resist 😉

bruneep

Changes are happening in R1

firestarter
    Free Member

Seen some leadership changes. I think R1 has shot itself in the foot for a long time to come tho in terms of any support for anything tbh im afraid

project
    Free Member

Because they havent achieved anything,according to any media ive seen wether from the fire brigades union or the general tory owned media.
    But as a supporter of all emergency services uk wide, it seems a current governmnet plan to reduce the numbers significantly via redundnacies,(once youve made a job redundant you cant then recreate that job for the same company, organisation), but to open up the market for new paid for fire services, owned by their political mates in buisneess, strikes just leave a nasty taste in tax payers mouths.

As an aside, there have been quite a few major incidents in the north west in the last month, thankfully not all at the same time, if 2 happened together a serious loss of life may have or may still occur, also the de staffing and resduction in fire engines at stations is creating longer waiting tmes for a fire engine and trained crew to arrive.

project
    Free Member

Changes are happening in R1

Some sort of code….

Drac

I took bacon sarnies down to my staff today who were on the picket line, I ended up staying. It’s not somewhere I wanted to be ever and not something I wanted to be part of. I’ll add none of my staff who were there were on or due on duty at that time. There’s an overtime ban on until Midnight Friday night now which I’ll happily take part in but I will never withdraw my services and take all out strike.

Think you’ve documented many times on here your dislike for the NHS and most other public sector workers project, even though I do believe you once worked for them.

All that we want to be achieved is the 1% that was recommended to us by a 3rd party that the Government then withdrew before taking a 11% and 9% pay rise, then paying out large bonuses and pay rises to senior NHS mangers.

binners

They’re all bloody communists!!!!

ransos
    Free Member

Just like the failed fire service strikes, whats it going to achieve, upset and trauma for patients and Daily Mail readers, looks like the council workers have been bought off though as theyre not bothering to strike.

Unison called off the strike because the employer side tabled a proposal that was much closer to what the union was looking for: therefore the basis of the ballot for industrial action was no longer valid.

Looks like Unison has been successful in its aim once more.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good luck to all concerned. Hopefully it will make people sit up and take notice.

Hopefully @aa they’ll realise they need to pay 1 or 2p more in VAT or income tax or similar to meet the increasing costs. Interesting the Tories are destroying the NHS by spending £130bn pa but the Labour party is going to save it by spending £131.5bn

mefty
    Free Member

According the radio this morning, it is only staff who have already received an incremental rise who are not being given a 1% rise, is that correct?

To be fair to the government, they have not received a payrise since the beginning of the parliament and any rise in their MP salary to date as involved an equivalent reduction in their ministerial pay. Therefore any MP in Government has not received a pay rise to date, only MPs not on the government payroll has received a rise.

ransos
    Free Member

To be fair to the government, they have not received a payrise since the beginning of the parliament and any rise in their MP salary to date as involved an equivalent reduction in their ministerial pay. Therefore any MP in Government has not received a pay rise to date, only MPs not on the government payroll has received a rise.

They’ve just voted themselves an 11% rise IIRC.

binners

To be fair to the government, they have not received a payrise since the beginning of the parliament and any rise in their MP salary to date as involved an equivalent reduction in their ministerial pay.

You say that like any of the present front bench require anything as vulgar as a salary?

Isn’t frontline politics nowadays just an extended job interview for an obscenely highly paid position with whichever subsidy-hoovering parasite enterprising and entrepreneurial private company benefits from the privatisations you pushed through while a minister?

allthepies
    Free Member

Ah but the Tories will spend all that £130bn on coke/hookers for their “rich businessmen mates” whereas the Labour party will spend the £131.5bn on cuddly nurses.

Don’t you know nuffink ?

BillMC

The strikers have my absolute support.

mefty
    Free Member

They’ve just voted themselves an 11% rise IIRC.

You don’t recall entirely correctly, it is a recommendation of a draft report of the independent body which will not become final until after the general election – i am not sure they even vote for it anymore – and they (the government) – if the same procedure is followed as in this partliament – will receive no net increase as any increase will recouped by a like reduction in their ministerial pay.

Binners – they are not all super wealthy

binners

Binners – they are not all super wealthy

I doubt we’ll be seeing many of them at a food bank any time soon

A Downing Street spokesman said it was “complete nonsense” to suggest the Camerons could be worth £25?million, including any future inherited wealth.A source added: “They own two houses — in Witney and in London — and that’s it.”

ransos
    Free Member

You don’t recall entirely correctly, it is a recommendation of a draft report of the independent body which will not become final until after the general election – i am not sure they even vote for it anymore – and they (the government) – if the same procedure is followed as in this partliament – will receive no net increase as any increase will recouped by a like reduction in their ministerial pay.

Ah yes, you’re right. The poor lambs will (at worst) have to make do with £67k plus generous expenses plus a cushy pension.

chakaping
    Free Member

which will not become final until after the general election

I wonder why that would be.

BillMC

^^ plus a wonderful housing allowance that allows them to keep the property paid for by the tax payer…..plus subsidised eating and drinking in the Commons and the longest holidays of any occupational group. The pension and severance payment are truly splendid even after only one term in office.

Drac

Yes there’s a 1% pay rise for those at the top of banding but increments aren’t automatic, despite what the the press tells you.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

The parasitic MPs can claim for that many things that their salary is basically a nest egg. The NHS pay is an absolute joke and they deserve better.

marcus7
    Free Member

Daft question but what does 11% add to the total bill for MP’s and 1% to NHS staff ( who would be eligible ) I’m not a fan of % i prefer £, what does it actually work out to?.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not a supporter of politicians by any stretch, but my understanding was that the 11% pay rise was recommended by the new independent body set up to take the decision away from MPs, and with the parallel reductions in allowances etc. result in no greater cost.

Parliament has now put an end to the situation whereby MPs decide their own pay and pension arrangements – giving IPSA the powers to decide. For the first time, an independent body has settled these issues.

Following two public consultations, IPSA has published its final report on MPs’ pay and pensions.

We have decided on a modern, professional package for MPs, with the following elements:

• a salary of £74,000 in 2015, indexed to changes in average earnings in the whole economy thereafter;
    • a new pension on a par with those in other parts of the public service, saving the taxpayer millions;
    • scrapping out-of-touch “resettlement payments” worth tens of thousands of pound per MP and introducing more modest, modern redundancy packages, available only to those who contest their seat and lose; and
    • a tighter regime of business costs and expenses – ending the provision for things such as evening meals.

Taken together, these changes will not increase costs to the taxpayer when they are introduced following the 2015 general election.

Additionally, IPSA will give MPs the opportunity produce an annual report to sit alongside our reporting of business cost and expense claims.

Now I haven’t read the details, and I don’t for one minute take the claims at face value, but it is clearly not the traditional ‘lets give ourselves a double figure % pay rise just cause we can’.

NHS definitely deserve pay rises though. Frontline staff anyway, I don’t know much about managers earnings against their effort. I know my wife works about an extra 15-20% hours for no pay because she insists on doing her job (practice nurse) properly but the NHS management refuse to increase her hours to achieve this. So it’s either do it for nothing or neglect her job.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

This is part of the continued “efficiency savings” in the NHS.

These usually mean delaying reappointing vital staff, squeezing the pay of people like those taking action today, by shaving little bits off their remuneration bit by bit.

It is the ” gradual circumcision principle”

You can make small cuts one at a time but sooner or later you are going hurt something vital…

Paramedics are dealing with increasing workloads and expectations and decreasing time eating peeing and resting.

Midwives are under huge pressure, with inrceasing personal night cover and expectations of one-to-one care througout labour.

I’m definitely on their side.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m not a supporter of politicians by any stretch, but my understanding was that the 11% pay rise was recommended by the new independent body set up to take the decision away from MPs, and with the parallel reductions in allowances etc. result in no greater cost.

And a pay rise for NHS staff was recommended by an independent review body…

Drac

And a pay rise for NHS staff was recommended by an independent review body…

Set up to take away the decisions of Trusts and with the increase in pension contributions and nil pay rise it has incurred greater costs for staff.

anagallis_arvensis

Hopefully @aa they’ll realise they need to pay 1 or 2p more in VAT or income tax or similar to meet the increasing costs. Interesting the Tories are destroying the NHS by spending £130bn pa but the Labour party is going to save it by spending £131.5bn

If thats directed at me I’m amazed you think I give a shit what Labour might or might not do. I have no love for them either. My post was non party political and expressing my support for the strike. Funny how the right wingers always try to make it about party politics… “yeah the tories might be **** but labour are **** shite too”. Who gives a toss.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Easily solved. You want 11% pay rise, get rid of 11% of the head count. Everyone is happy.

Sod it, lets get rid of all the duplicated MPs in Wales and Scotland, then 75% of what’s left. They can have a 50% rise, fully expensed jags and extra biscuits.

project
    Free Member

Think you’ve documented many times on here your dislike for the NHS and most other public sector workers project,

Surprisingly i have no recollection of any such comments, please elaborate.

Above i was trying to point out public service strikes achieve little with this lot in power,you strike at a company producing something and production is halted, staff who are not on strike are layed of, profits decrease and shareholders get angry, deals are done or the company slowly sold off or spintered.

The only way to get real change is through the ballot box, or mass protests but then the mass protest days and week long strikes went when thatcher made sure the unions could have their assets seized.

Perhaps if we didnt have pointless wars costing many millions, money that should have been invested in the Nhs not in killing foreigners.

Drac

Surprisingly i have no recollection of any such comments, please elaborate.

Maybe I’m mistaken sorry if I’m wrong.

The only way to get real change is through the ballot box, or mass protests but then the mass protest days and week long strikes went when thatcher made sure the unions could have their assets seized.

Yeah that didn’t work so they went to ballot and the overwhelming majority was to action.

anagallis_arvensis

Very short sighted view of the world project. What about public opinion and how it might influence voters?

project
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/big-thankyou-paramedics-and-air-ambulabnce-today-wirral

and there are a few other complimentry forum posts ive started about the NHS,

After the above episode i had to buy 2 replacement dust sheets, as the old ones where wrapped round the guy on the floor, he would have deveopled hypothermia otherwise.

I would have gratefully donated the 20 quid to the air ambulance to support them.

If we had a vote tommorow nearly everyone would vote for pay rises for nhs and emergency services and a massive reduction in the huge amounts paid to useless mps, is that a short sighted view of the world or just based on need, if your house is burning down, youre haveing a heart attack what use is an over paid mp who just shouts yeah in parliment.

Drac

nd there are a few other complimentry forum posts ive started about the NHS,

Maybe I’m mistaken sorry if I’m wrong.

project
    Free Member

apology accepted, just carry on the good work, and lobby those who can make a difference to funding to increase funding for the nhs,that there are enough beds and ambulances, along with staff to man them.

eg make your vote count next year

brokenbanjo

Thing that gets me is whilst there’s frontline staff going short, the shower in charge are letting private companies come in to feast from the NHS budget. They call it efficiency savings, but none of these private companies are in it for charity. They are skimming off millions of pounds of our money through profit. Now surely it’s possible for the NHS to deliver at the same costs as these private companies, thereby freeing up the proportion of the contracts tendered that is profit for use elsewhere in the system. The same goes for damn near everything in the Public Sector that has been privatised or contracted out. But whilst we are all quiet and accepting, nothing will change.

anagallis_arvensis

No no no anything done by the public sector is done badly and inefficiently whilst the sleek efficient private sector is great.

qwerty
    Free Member

To be fair, it wasn’t a proper strike. Most staff still attended to patients, most carried on working, any picket lines were made up of off duty staff. A proper strike would see all union staff walk out in totality and not work, full stop, for the duration. Patients would suffer & die. I think that’s the only horrors that would maybe budge the politicians. However, the workers have hearts and conceinces, and that will never happen, so, the politicians have them bent over a barrel and shaft em. Conspiracy theorists will say their ensuring the NHS breaks, paving the way for frontline privatization.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘4 HOUR STRIKE, Monday, by NHS service employees.’ is closed to new replies.