Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 4 days Scottish roadtrip – suggest an itinerary please.
  • acjim
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking forward to warmer (well less Arctic at least) times, a mate is planning a pre-nuptial road trip up in Scotland and we’re wondering what the STW Scots contingent would recommend. I’ve been before and stuck to the 7 stanes, which were top, but should we carry on Northwards and go for epic riding in the highlands or Laggan or something else? In the perfect world we would like 4 days of riding.

Riding wise we like techy stuff and fast stuff and, well generally most stuff excluding exclusively jumpy stuff or easy xc stuff (stuff).

We are in the South West so driving time will be a consideration.

Cheers!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do some of the classic mountain rides. Glen Tilt circuit, Devils staircase etc.

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks, looking on the maps those rides are up nearer Ft William and Laggan so maybe we could combine them. I suppose the routes for the classic rides are available?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

acjim – most come up if you google for them and there are books – the Kenny Wilson one amongst them.

acjim
    Free Member

ta.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What TJ said. If you want to “do” Scotland get out into the wild rather than just ride trail centres. There are more rides around Aviemore and within an hour’s drive of there (including Laggan) than you could do in 2 weeks. The most spectacular scenery and riding in the UK is probably Torridon. As TJ said, the Kenny Wilson book is a great place to start

acjim
    Free Member

That’s exactly what we were thinking. I’d like to do some of both – maybe two days big outdoors and two days trail centre thrills.

Torridon is quite a long way though! (11hrs drive by Google maps route)

shteve
    Free Member

my local spot is glentress and innerleithen and there is tons of riding around there. it might be worth considering stopping off here for 1 day

devs
    Free Member

Day at Laggan. Day at Golspie. Day at Carbisidale/Balblair. Day at Inshriach/Glenfeshie/Carn ban Mor/Rothiemurchus/take your pick of any Highland ride really.
    That would be a “sweet” 4 days. You’d be like totally “stoked” after that.
    I can do the South West in 9 hours from Moray bur probably not in the conditions just now!

gavinski
    Free Member

OYu need to weigh up what you want out of the trip -if it’s a boozy couple of days with a bit of cycling – you can just stay in dumfries and galloway and have a good time at the 7 stanes and other stuff out of the trail centres

traveling further north theres kind of a x2 multiplier on travel time – as the roads become progressively tighter -especially if you have bikes on the roof. however, for real scenery and simply breathtaking ‘aloneness’ you cannot beat Torridon, Skye or even Knoydart – that’s a hell of a lot of time traveling for a piss up though.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Day 1 Aviemore- plenty of natural stuff- drive over to Torridon in the evening.
    Day 2 -Torridon- drive to Skye or Applecross in the evening.
    Day 3 – Sky or Applecorss- drive to Fort Bill in the evening.
    Day 4 – Fort William- Devils Staircase or similiar.

matt_outandabout

Why travel so much?

Base yourself at Aviemore and ‘do’ Laggan, and maybe a 3-day cairngorm tour? Proper out there and amazing riding….

acjim
    Free Member

Some great tips here – thanks people!

I think we’d like to minimise the travel once we’ve got there. 3 day tour sounds epic, I struggle with youth hostels 😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

acjim, if you don’t want to travel once you get there I would suggest staying around Aviemore. Easy to get to as its on the A9. Plently of places to stay. Huge number of trails. 30 mins to Laggan. Bit over an hour to Fort William

Smee
    Free Member

I would go for a circuit of Ben Nevis, the Mamores and the Grey Corries on one day, or split it with a stay in a bothy if you want. I would also do a circuit of Ben Alder, then maybe try Laggan or Aviemore with whatever time was left.

acjim
    Free Member

Yes I think Aviemore looks just right. Well exciting!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Bothy Bikes in Aviemore will help you out with suggestions for routes – top blokes

charliemort

i was going to ask the same thing!

We will likely have 3 days, also coming from darn sarffff …………. would this work

Day 1: couple of the 7 stanes – Ae, Kirroughtree, drive to Skye
    Day 2: Skye, drive somewhere else (maybe Fort William or Aviemore)
    Day 3: Fort William or Aviemore

reckon that might be too much driving!

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

If you fancy some quality wilderness rides, without the mammoth drive to the likes of Torridon, Kinlochleven’s a good base for exploring – short, long, technical, epic – it’s got it all.

Take a look at the OS maps for the area, and for Fort Bill and Spean Bridge.

😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ben Nevis ride that Smee mentions is ace. Mind you, all the rides mentioned are pretty good – you can’t go wrong. Aviemore would be the best base I think for a mix of manmade and proper riding 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ben Nevis ride that Smee mentions is ace. Mind you, all the rides mentioned are pretty good – you can’t go wrong. Aviemore would be the best base I think for a mix of manmade and proper riding 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

ooops!

acjim
    Free Member

Unfortunately it seems the more Northern spots are off the menu due to driving times. Does anyone have any knowledge of natural rides in the Borders area?

Thanks!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gypsy Glen circuit just near GT

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks TJ – have you ridden that route yourself?

druidh
    Free Member

Find DeerTrackDoctor – he knows loads!

Lots of stuff around the Pentlands – let me know if you want some info.

druidh
    Free Member

Another vote for Gypsy Glen – and you can use the Hub at GT for start/finish/parking.

Southern Upland Way – Traquair to the 3 Brethren.

We have a fair few ‘natural’ rides in the Borders in our portfolio (acutally a big lever arch file in the cupboard). Certainly more than enough to keep you busy for four days. Give me a shout if you want any recommendations or need accommodation, guiding etc

info@scottishmountainbikeguides.com

Cheers,

Phil

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks Phil, I’ll drop you a line soon.

Cheers all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

acjim – i have ridden it – google should find you a route – nothing spectacular but a not to awful climb, some nice views and a really nice descent
    edit: nice but neither gnarly or techy

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You’ll find a GPS download of the Gypsy Glen circuit here (minus the first bit along the road where I forgot to press the “start” button).

As TJ says, nice route, great views, superb descent at the end. He must be fitter than me, cos I found one or two of the climbs a bit tough!

Some photos here

ml
    Free Member

If travelling up to Aviemore is such a hassle, why not jump on the train. Early evening train from the south west to London, then get the sleeper at 21.15 arriving at Aviemore 7.40am the next day. If you need to, hire a car at Aviemore. Reverse for going home. Maximum time riding, minimal hassle. Train info here.

I’ve not done this, but it looks a decent way of going. If you book well ahead of travelling, it shouldn’t be too expensive.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stuartie – that will be the bits I pushed up

Most of the climb was middle ring tho at a decent pace – none of this grinding away in granny gear for hours

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘4 days Scottish roadtrip – suggest an itinerary please.’ is closed to new replies.